• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Clubs

lameshooter

Eagle is my middle name.
Apr 13, 2005
Well, this is about my third year golfin, i'm not the greatest, i got a 44 today, par 36.. but my "Rawlings" clubs that i got a year and a half ago just aren't cutting it anymore, looking to get new irons, around 400-500ish, and maybe a new driver around the 200-250$ range... just hoping you guys can maybe help me out and set me in the right direction here. thanx. :cool:

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome aboard lameshooter! :)

Have a look here

The Tommy Armour 845's get alot of positive review around here for a good beginner set but I suspect that you may want something a little more upscale.

Check out the link and get back to us.....there is probably someone here that has owned, demo'ed or knows about practically every set listed.

I built a set a couple of weeks ago from golfsmith and they cost just $373 plus a couple of hours to put them together, so you may want to consider that as well.

OP
lameshooter

lameshooter

Eagle is my middle name.
Apr 13, 2005
yeah, thats where i've been lookin is off of golfsmith, seems very reasonable there.. but i've been looking at either the Nike CPR irons? i don't know much about em, my cousin has em and he likes them but i've never shot with em before, either that or i was looking at the Taylor Made RAC HT irons... anyone have some imput on these? or any other irons you think would be good, and for a driver, i was kinda lookin at either a Taylor Made R580XD or a Cleveland Launcher 400CC? anyone have anything on them? get back to me. Thanx

PS thanks for the welcome slingblade.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I can get you some really nice irons for less than that, I sold a set of callaway x-16 pro series today for $449.

I would look for a taylor made r580 driver, they are great and you can find them for less than $150.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I just built my Snake Eyes 600c irons and like them a LOT! There isn't anything prettier out there. A bit expensive (for golfsmith) at $30 a head, but for $320 or so it's a good set. You can cut your costs considerably by going with a less expensive head. There are, I feel, GREAT iron heads for $15 at Golfsmith and the Golfworks.

If you are thinking about building, or having it built for you, the Snake Eyes version of the R7 is my next purchase. I believe it can be built for around $180 with the graffalloy shaft I want in there.

So, for the $500 you could have a very pretty set of SE 600c's, and the SE version of the R7. Not a bad start. It'd probably work for you.

Just a suggestion.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Huh? People SELL clubs??? LMAO!

True. Making your own is more for established players who know what they want. I LOVED the look and feel of the Mizuno MP-30's. Unfortunately, they are $600. I have played the MP-33's for 4 years or so and am now switching back to a cavity back.

The price tag on the MP-30's are a bit prohibitive, and the SE 600c's look and feel about the same. Plus, with my height, and constant swing changes, I need to custom fit myself. So, knowing exactly what I want in clubs made the SE's an easy decision.

For a beginner, who doesn't know what they want exactly, buying used OEM clubs is their best bet in case they DO decide to resell later.

Good point.

igneous

Mar 24, 2005
Ive heard some decent reviews about the nike slingshots? I think they are around your price range. I just got some tommy armour 845u's, cant wait to play them :)

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Seeing as how no one else has done it yet - I'll start.

Mizuno! :miz:

No question. Go demo a set of MX-23s and tell me you don't love them. Even if you do, I won't believe you.

I got mine for $418 (CDN...about $340 US I think) off eBay. Best purchase I ever made. Second best was the Cleveland Launcher 460...awesome driver. Third best was the Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball Blade putter...oh so perfect.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
The key word is demo. Demo. And demo.

Did I mention you need to demo?

That is quite an investment, and you'll want to do so after actualyy hitting the clubs and getting a feel for what hits/looks best for you. Good luck.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I sold my X-16 Pros to NSherman for 275 bucks.

Have a look around, there are deals to be found if you just take some time.

I bought a set of Mp-33's for 375CDN(~300USD). Fantastic shape. DGS300 shafts.

Depending on what you want, and how much you wanna spend, there is always someone out there ready to trade up theirs in hopes of finding a set that will make them Tiger Woods.

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I have an R-580 (stiff) available for $125 shipped.

Only has 3 rounds on it.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
My bro has the Cleveland Launcher 330 (or is it 360??).
Very nice driver, light swingweight, easy to hit, goes straight/draw bias and is far enough.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
There's a Launcher 460 for sale in the Classifieds section....Anthony is selling it....

That's the downtown club. Throw an NV in that and go deep!

R35

Mar 28, 2005
I have a set of custom made clubs that were made hear in CT. They are made by Pure Golf out of Golfers Warehouse. I used them 3 times. I also have a Cleveland Launcher 460 (3 rounds) and a Taylor Made R500 3 wood (9 holes). I will let it all go for $325. Sorry I know this isn't the classified section but the topic seemed appropriate.

Anthony

🔥 Latest posts