• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New dishwasher....no, not a new GF...lol

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have to buy a new dishwasher this week. Ours shit the bed a few weeks ago, i've been putting it off and using my hard earned cash to buy golf clubs when my better half isn't watching.

I'm thinking a Maytag. Great commercials and a good name. We had a Maytag when I lived at home, it was great.

Looking this morning, one place had the full Bosch lineup. Man o man.

It will be a cold day in hell before I'd spend 1500USD on a dishwasher. Cripes.

They look nice tho. :p

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Bosch....suxxorz

High end = Miele or Asko

Otherwise stick with the whirlpool.

On the other hand......Being a kitchen professional, I don't own a diswasher. I can have a load washed and put away before ANY dishwasher on the planet finishes the first cycle. Dishwashers were foisted on the lazy by appliance companies and offer no real benefit over hand washing...really. :)

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Screw all of those - go to Costco and go Kirkland Signature or something like that. We got one for cheap (like $299 or something) a few years ago at my old place and it worked like you wouldn't believe.

Costco = best place to buy EVERYTHING!

Although the watch lady isn't there. Go see what kinda wares she's got!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Suxxorz? Is that some inner city lingo? :p

I'd buy a Kirkland, but they aren't as energy efficient as the higher end models. They don't offer anything with a stainless interior, which saves you more than 25% on your energy useage. That's alot when you take into account how much power costs these days (no nuclear in Saskatchewan....stupid idiots...)

I would buy a Whirlpool, but i've had three different sales people tell me they are terrible for customer service and warranty, which suprises me. I mean, if you can't keep your customers happy, and everyone says your stuff isn't worth buying it because of it, how do you stay in business?

I think i'm gonna settle on the Maytag. Stainless interior, energy efficient. Plus, we get PST back because it's energy compliant. Sweet.

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
Bosch....suxxorz.

Gotta tell ya, we've had our Bosch for 5 years, with one mishap--the drainage hose split--which was a 2 sec fix. Otherwise, np at all. And quieter than any other dishwasher I've ever had...you have to stand directly next to it to hear that it's on.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Overpriced tho.

We has a Maytag at home for almost 20 years. It wasn't that loud and it never broke down.

Then a tree branch fell onto the power line and surged the house.

Good bye Maytag...as well as the Playstation, 2 TV's, all the other appliances and my sisters curling iron, which was the biggest loss.... :p

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
rockford35 said:
Overpriced tho.R35

I'm sure they would prefer "aggressively" priced. Think "resale" baby. :p

We also have an older Maytag (probably 20 years) and it's still going. A couple of repairs, but no complaints. Nowhere near as quiet as the Bosch, tho.

And we had a portable Whirlpool in another house, which was reliable enough. Loud as garbage truck. You could hear it upstairs.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Upstairs?

The Whirlpool we have right now sounds like a fighter jet taking off.

That's when it decides it wants to work, friggin' piece of ass....

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
rockford35 said:
Upstairs?

As in "from downstairs." At least there was no question as to when it was ready to be emptied. A feature they included at no extra cost, I must admit.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Gotcha.

I guess I was more blown away by the fact that you have two dishwashers. Insane in the membrane!

I have three now, but two are more like mini-sheds out in the garage. I'm gonna fill them will garbage and take them to the landfill. You see, they don't charge you to take in appliances, but they do charge you to take in garbage....

Yes, I am a sneaky bastard.

I have a great dishwasher story and if enough people are interested, i'll type it out. It's long, but very entertaining...i just don't have the attention span right now... ;)

In other words, i'm friggin' lazy...

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
FWIW - mine broke down about three months ago. I like to do a lot of research before I buy - inlcluding Consumer Reports, Epinions etc...

I have not been a fan of Sears for a long time. Always seemed like a tired, old retailer to me, but their website showed they had a wide variety of products. So we went to one of their stores...

The salesguy was outstanding. He told us that either Whirlpool or Maytag makes most stuff now including other brands. (they don't make Bosch though).

We bought a KitchenAid that is whisper quiet. Like Farquod said, you have to stand by it to know it is running. Our old Whirlpool screamed like a jet when it was operating.

A beautiful but expensive unit - $900 installed with tax. I like this one because all you see in the kitchen is a single expanse of stainless steel with a handle. The buttons are on top of the lid/front. So it is a very good looking maching and washes superbly....

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
The buttons are on top of the lid/front. So it is a very good looking maching and washes superbly....

Ya, I was told that you are supposed to set your dishwasher before closing the door, whatever model you have, because turn the dial or having it go through the other settings with the door closed wears out the mechanisms in the latch.

See, I would never know that, but this dishwasher hunting has opened my eyes to a whole new world that is out there....lol...

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yeah you have to set it before you close it. And because there is no dial on the front - you cannot monitor what cycle it is in. All you see is that front panel with a handle.

On the other hand, this has not been a problem with us as we load it, set it and forget it.

Our old one lasted 15 years so we went for the higher priced model. Over a long period of time - the extra money per year is very little...

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yes. The stainless interiors work out to an energy savings of almost 1/4 less than that of a non-stainless.

That works out to about 100 bucks a year. So, going with the more expensive model with the stainless interior will in fact pay for itself, more or less.

R35

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
R35,

Don't know if you're still in the market for it, but Consumer Reports just did a roundup and I can forward you their results if you'd like.

They did dishwashing detergent too and the best buy was the wal-mart generic enzyme-based. They estimate a load at $.09 a wash. I switched from an (unknowingly) non-enzyme based Cascade and the wal-mart stuff just absolutely kicks it's ass.

From what I read most all enzyme-based stuff works about the same, and much better than non-enzyme based, so cost is the main factor. I was stunned by the Wal-Mart generic brand. It really worked.

Members online

No members online now.