• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new driver cobra, bb or ping?or wait

tommyt

Apr 24, 2005
I restarted golf 2 years ago and bought cobra graphite irons- much easier to use than my old pings- I have lower scores than I should- good news.
I made golfsmith woods - which are OK but my question is of the new ti woods (ping g2, cobra ti460 and BB) which if any plays like the cobra irons. I enjoy hitting the cobras as they just go straight. When I am in trouble I punch out or hit a 9 wood, I no longer try to work the ball.
Are the cobra woods like their irons?If so thats my choice.
thanks much
tommyt

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's tought to narrow down what would work with your irons. That sorta like saying which pots will cook your peas the best to go with your pork chops. But I digress.

Your best bet is to get out there and hit some. Basically every shop out there will let you demo any club in their shop. Have a few swings and decide which feel best in your hands, looks the best to your eye and also has the best ding in your wallet. Usually, the latter doesn't matter so much, but the former two have a lot to do with what you should purchase.

Cheers,

R35

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. Each person has different preferences and just like rockford said, your just gonna have to go out there and try them all til you find the right one.

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
That's hard to say but as a fan of Cobra Golf let me see if I can give you some information. If you're asking if they are easy to hit and forgiving like their Oversize irons then yes. Especially the 460SZ and the 454 COMP. You don't indicate which irons you have but based on my experience with the original King Cobra Oversize, King Cobra II, King Cobra II Forged, and King Cobra SS Forged the two drivers listed above would work well. Now if you are looking for a "players" Driver meaning you're a low handicap I'd suggest either the 450SZ Tour, 414 COMP Tour, or 400SZ Tour.

I can tell you that Cobra's Cutomer Service is superb. I knocked something loose in my 454 COMP (later found out it was some glue) and Cobra told me to take it into any authorized Cobra dealer and it would be exchanged on the spot. I did and it was.

Hope that helps

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The cobra will be the easiest to hit straight.

If you want a deal look for a used ss 427 driver. They are very easy to hit and much cheaper than the sz line.

Don't wait for the next great driver. technology moves so fast you will never buy anything because you know something better is right around the corner. Just a hint, most new clubs are introduced in late jan at the orlando PGA show.

OP
T

tommyt

Apr 24, 2005
Thanks for the input. I went over and talked to my ex work buddy who now is a pro at a local course. He couldn't match the price I got from the midwest mail order store. Cobra charges him shipping. The other source doesn't charge me shipping so it was a
no brainer- I ordered the cobra's - Luckily its raining here so I am not as anxious as I would be if it was sunny!!.
tommyt

OP
T

tommyt

Apr 24, 2005
I bought the sz460,sz 3,5,7 so now (wed?) I will be a cobra kid (with a bronze ping answer - older than most posters!).

I have the SSi irons. I love em- hope the woods work as well!!

Just hope I get out as much as I am planning to!

OP
T

tommyt

Apr 24, 2005
I played 18 this am. The woods are better than me...Straight and go in the air!!
I can't wait to use them with my cobra irons rather than my back up set-- they go where you hit them rather than straight all the time...

I sound like I'm on comission - I would not recommend them to someone who hops to be a very good golfer- no matter how you hit them (assuming its on the face) they go straight....great for old duffers though.

🔥 Latest posts