• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Driver Dilemna

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I agree. When we fit someone we intentionally push them a little so after about 45 minutes of swinging we can see the good and the bad and look for patterns.

We know things could change drastically in a few weeks but we have had very good results.
It is always good to get new perspectives. I will never claim to be right on every subject.
If anyone has a different view than mine please voice it. I know some could be intimidated but there are some good people here that can call me on bs.
These are thing that are very subjective. I have seen guys spend 5 minutes on a launch monitor and tell the guy all about his swing, you golf pro couldn't give you that kind of info after a lesson but the guy was spouting off number based on a few cold swings.

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
obagain said:
I agree. When we fit someone we intentionally push them a little so after about 45 minutes of swinging we can see the good and the bad and look for patterns.
I have seen guys spend 5 minutes on a launch monitor and tell the guy all about his swing, you golf pro couldn't give you that kind of info after a lesson but the guy was spouting off number based on a few cold swings.

Exactly, For years I was using higher lofted drivers and while they worked OK for me I could never quite get the drive I was lookiing for. I always thought they were too high. When I got a new driver about a year ago I went to a place with a launch monitor and the guy had me spend 5 minutes on it and immediately said "oh you need a 10.5 degree driver". I used it for a while but still never got the launch angle I wanted. So I went to another place and was professionally fitted. The guy there had me spend 30 - 45 minutes watching my swing. Lo and behold I was using too much loft. The guy was as surprised as I was. I ended up getting my optimal launch angle (12-14 degrees) with a Neutral 7.5 degree driver. I gained a good 30 yards too. I do still have an 8.5 degreee and a 10.5 degree for when I need more carry (mainly when it is wet out).

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i'm still knew to much of this technology, i mainly just go out and hit the clubs, if it works i don't ask questions, if it doesn't then i learn and move on

what is the "kick point" a low kick point will produce what kind of ball flight/launch angle

it'd be nice to know this before i go in to get fitted for a new shaft for my 3 wood

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Like just about everything else in golf it is opposite. A low kick hits it high, a high kick hits it low.

Make sure you get a low spin shaft. When you are hitting from the deck you don't want side spin.

Ian_Connell

Blade Perfection
Sep 5, 2005
Well.. my driver Shaft is an Aldila and my cleveland woods are the fujikura gold stiff. There is much more loft and whip in my aldila. More penetrating flight with my Fujikura's... whatever you want. a 10.5 might be well advised to go stiff. too much whip and you'll be hitting a real high ball with a 10.5

🔥 Latest posts

Members online