• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New driver vs. new shaft

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
I need some advice on drivers. I have a TM 8.5 r7 with a stiff shaft in it, but I still feel as though it's too whippy. When I need/want to bomb one, the flex isn't very controllable.

Our pro shop has just had a fitting centre built, stocked by Callaway. So, do I get my driver, which I love when I hit it right, re-shafted, or should I get fitted with a Callaway and get the perfect shaft?

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I would say get another shaft, but that could be because I'm not nuts over Callaway products. There are many affordable shafts out there.

OP
acarty

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
I would say get another shaft, but that could be because I'm not nuts over Callaway products. There are many affordable shafts out there.

Thats what I thought. I had a Callaway driver until the shaft snapped, so I bought the TM, but the pro can custom fit me for anything, just that his fitting centre is stocked by Callaway and so he has the shaft click-in system like the video with Ernie using that FT-i

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So hit some of the Callaway drivers with different shafts. You can get a good idea of what spec shafts will work for you. If your driver is the draw version it's most likely got a soft tipped shaft in there. If you have a faster swing and faster tempo, this would be the opposite of what is a "good" shaft fit for you... I didn't even think they made the 460D in an 8.5*? It's almost an oxymoron.
icon10.gif

OP
acarty

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
ezra76 said:
So hit some of the Callaway drivers with different shafts. You can get a good idea of what spec shafts will work for you. If your driver is the draw version it's most likely got a soft tipped shaft in there. If you have a faster swing and faster tempo, this would be the opposite of what is a "good" shaft fit for you... I didn't even think they made the 460D in an 8.5*? It's almost an oxymoron.
icon10.gif

I was hoping you'd have some advice for me! Actually it's not a draw, I just haven't updated my sig. It's a MWT 460 but I think it's draw weighted. I am going to try some shafts in the Callaway heads - I think Callaway will supply him with things like Aldila and VS Protos.

If I decide to re-shaft to something stiff, what sort of thing do you suggest?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I was hoping you'd have some advice for me! Actually it's not a draw, I just haven't updated my sig. It's a MWT 460 but I think it's draw weighted. I am going to try some shafts in the Callaway heads - I think Callaway will supply him with things like Aldila and VS Protos.

If I decide to re-shaft to something stiff, what sort of thing do you suggest?

Why not hit the Cally's and find out what you like the feel of and performs best for you?

Then, go out and buy that shaft for the TM. Simple.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sorry, that's what I'm trying to say. Get a recommendation for a shaft in one of the Callaway heads. That shaft will not play different because the driver head says "Taylormade" on it. If they say VS Proto 70stiff is the one, than you can get one for your TM. There are also a ton of shafts that will play similar to the specs of the VS Proto for less money. It's a matter of narrowing it down. I play better with shafts that have a mid-high kickpoint and a stiffer tip. I know the VS, Speeder 757, CompNT, V2 77g ect. are shafts I'll like as opposed to a Zcom, Prolaunch Blue, YS6 ect. are shafts I won't like and won't work well for my swing. It's going to depend on swingspeed, ballspeed, launch, tempo and transition. You may see me refer to a shaft that's a "hitter's" shaft, meaning it's geared towards a faster tempo, harder transition swinger, those are the ones I like and work for me. The latter shafts I mentioned are more a "swingers" shaft, guys who have a smooth tempo and transition would more than likely do well with these.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
If its a Reax then its a board, butt and tip stiff, you only need a stiff butt if you have a fast transition and late release. What shaft is it exactly, work backwards from the specs you have now.

Ezra, why won't you like the Z Coms? The 26.3 in X stiff plays as a reg TW74, whch also has much lower torque, so those specs would suit you. Low torque stiff tipped shafts feel boardy to me, hate them myself

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The tour platform 26.3? If you are referring to that shaft, I had one in a stiff and it was bar none the worst shaft I've ever swung. I had an R7TP with that shaft in it and hit a hook so bad I nearly took out a car in the parking lot... behind me. :laugh: I didn't think it was possible but that ball nearly ended up behind where it started. I dropped that thing off in my truck at the turn and played 3W the rest of the round.
icon10.gif

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, yet your current shaft plays indentical to the 26.3 in X, although the 26.3 is a little harder in the butt. If you played the S will have been to soft for you. I have ordered the X Stiff in the 26.3 to go in the SMT. The 686 in S is almost indentical in spec to the 26.3 in X.

the Reax 65 TP is awful for me, just a bloody board

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Lol, yet your current shaft plays indentical to the 26.3 in X, although the 26.3 is a little harder in the butt. If you played the S will have been to soft for you. I have ordered the X Stiff in the 26.3 to go in the SMT. The 686 in S is almost indentical in spec to the 26.3 in X.

the Reax 65 TP is awful for me, just a bloody board

Yeah and I'm hitting the 686 all over the GD golf course. :laugh: It's going to be getting a reshaft. I debated on just having it tipped but then after measuring I realized it's already been butt cut. I'm debating now on a VS Proto 70S or the new DVS in a 70S.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Hmmm, you mentioned earlier you like shafts suited to a harder transition. I think its more the speed of the transition,not how hard you load.

It takes a real man to admit he plays a soft shaft

I am a real man:) Although I have just ordered an X stiff, it mesures as a regular compared some fo the more well known shafts such as the 757

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.