• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Driver w/ Shaft questions

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I've been gone for a long while from the game (nearly a year), during which I ended up having to sell most of my clubs, some of which I hadn't even hit. Well, I'm finally getting back to a position financially where I can start playing again, but I'm a couple clubs short. Anyways, I found what I thought to be a great deal on a Cobra L4V. The last driver I had was a Nike 5900 and it was reshafted with a made for Taylormade Diamana (I believe) in regular flex. I had hit a few drives out in the 300-310 range a few times with it, but was more consistently in the 280 range. I decided to go for a Stiff flex. The one I got has a Mitsubishi Rayon 53x5ct (I don't know much at all about shafts) in stiff flex. It's also been cut down to 43.5". Today I was hitting it real consistently. Not great or anything, but better than I used to. Except it was HIGH, and not real long. I remember reading great things about the L4V and it being a bomber. Is that what this head does? Or the shaft? I was hitting the best drives around 250.

My question is: Is the loss of distance/height from the shaft? And if so, what shaft would you recommend to bring the ball flight back down?

I'm obviously not giving up on it after one range session, I still don't have a putter or a bag yet, so those will take precedence, but you know how us ho's like to anticipate.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Welcome back
are you sure it's a club thing and not a swing thing? I haven't been able to play much (once this year) but I went to the range (twice) and measured my swingspeed about 10mph slower than last year
how are you hitting the irons distance wise?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
When it comes to shot height, the loft of the club head, the COG of the clubhead, the ball you are using and then finally the shaft affect shot height, in that order. This of course is all secondary to your swing itself.

OP
twelvegage

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
Well...there's no way it could be my swing, it's gotta be the club! Haha, my distance was a little down on my irons, but the irons I had before these ones were Callaway X-20 Tours I believe, and now I'm swinging Titleist 704.CB's, so they're quite a bit older. My woods/hybrid though were right about the same though, and they weren't ballooning. I also forgot to mention that the club arrived I had just gotten back from the gym, so it wasn't the best case scenario you could say. It's a 10* head, and the last driver I had was a 9.5. I'll probably be taking it to another range today too, should have more to report back with then.

Thanks Rick! Like I said, my swingspeed very likely could be down, especially due to me being fatigued yesterday. One thing I do like though about this club is I can get after it and not lose it. Even then though, it didn't seem to go much further.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The lv4 is a real high hitting head. It is a spin machine as well, the 10* head will play much closer to 12*-13*. I would suspect the head is the reason for the distance loss, but also the reason for the gain in accuracy. I found the lv4 I had to be extremely accurate, but high and short. Try a supertri, its straight, long as heck, looks great, and sounds great as well.

🔥 Latest posts