• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New from Illinois

Angleiron

Feb 8, 2011
Hi everyone,

At one point when I was 18 I used to make fun out of my older brother, and his friends who played golf...thought it was for whussies. So one day after making fun of my older brother and his friends, they said if golf was for girly men that I should try it...so I did. First round I ever shot in my life was a 90 on some old wooden headed drivers and small irons that are nothing like they are now (played organized hockey so that might have helped with that first time out). Had so much fun I went out and bought a set of clubs the very next day :)

Well that was 30 years ago, and I have played off on and on since then...but more "on" lately. Played a minimum of once a week last year, if not 2-3 times. Acquired a membership at a local club for this year, and plan to play at least 3 times per week (playing 18 holes in a cart by myself only takes 2 hours). My game has gotten a lot better...broke 70 a few times last year...but when it tanks it does so really good...but then again if it was easy everyone could do it.

Not a golf junky...but I think I am almost there! I actually actively watch golf on TV, and have attended tournaments (Whistling Straits was a cool course to walk).

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
G'day & welcome Angleiron. An interesting bio there.

OP
A

Angleiron

Feb 8, 2011
Welcome to Shottalk!

Wow, breaking 70 only playing once a week or so is a feat! Awesome man!

That has been after playing for the past few years. If there has been anything that has been the factor in this it has been weeding through all of the different ways to swing a club, grip, etc. and stick the basics as well as what works for just me. It is trial and error, and keeping things as simple as possible so that everything is natural.

When I first started playing when I was 18 I also started reading the various Golf magazines...and to be honest that made my game worse for a long time because I tried to do what worked for others. Now that I am older I have figured out what makes sense...for me and my physical capabilities. I run a routine through my head during set-up...the same one everytime and try my best to execute the same thing each and everytime.

My biggest problem in the past was that I did not realize until the middle of last year was my grip was ALL WRONG which was not allowing my hands to turn over. Once I figured that out I broke 70 twice, and I started to shoot in the 80's without having to work too hard at it as long as I keep doing the same thing. The KISS system just seems to work for me...just a simple checklist I go through. I still suck compared to some of my buddies...but I am getting there.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online