• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New golf magazine has club reviews

trob

Apr 2, 2006
They reviewed irons,hybrids,fairway woods and drivers of course. For those of you who don't get it I'll let you in on thier favorites. Thier was a couple suprises.

Driver ...Ping G5. I play with just about all pings and I was surpised. It seems Taylor made owns this club lately. They did say it didn't perform any better then the G2 so all you guys who run out and buy the newest club can relax. :)

Fairway woods....callaway x

Irons 0 to 10 handicap..Mizuno

Irons 10 to 20 handicap....Wilson That was a surprise to me and it seemed like everyone at the magazine. Nothing against wilson at all but all the money the big boys are puting in and an old school club maker jumps up and beats them all.

Hybrid...Ben hogan. Not a super suprise. I've heard the new hogan clubs are a great value.

Thoughts..anyone playing these clubs.

Btw ...they picked their favorite putter a few issue's ago...Ping g2 craze putter. Yea ..it's in my bag. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
trob said:
They reviewed irons,hybrids,fairway woods and drivers of course. For those of you who don't get it I'll let you in on thier favorites. Thier was a couple suprises.

Driver ...Ping G5. I play with just about all pings and I was surpised. It seems Taylor made owns this club lately. They did say it didn't perform any better then the G2 so all you guys who run out and buy the newest club can relax. :)

Irons 10 to 20 handicap....Wilson That was a surprise to me and it seemed like everyone at the magazine. Nothing against wilson at all but all the money the big boys are puting in and an old school club maker jumps up and beats them all.

Hybrid...Ben hogan. Not a super suprise. I've heard the new hogan clubs are a great value.

Thoughts..anyone playing these clubs.

Btw ...they picked their favorite putter a few issue's ago...Ping g2 craze putter. Yea ..it's in my bag. :)

I owned a couple of the Hogan CFT Hybrids. I sold them pretty quick. Not nearly as nice as my Halo.

As for the irons - Mizuno makes irons for all skill levels, as does Wilson.

Who is doing the reviews in this magazine? Is it just one guy who tries a bunch of clubs and says "I like (or don't like) these? Or do they just take a poll of a bunch of players and ask "what's in your bag?"

Not to be too critical, but your post is a compendium of vague non-information.

OP
T

trob

Apr 2, 2006
They actually have a bunch of people from all differnet handycaps testing the clubs. then they use thier scoring to come up with the ratings for each.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Eracer said:
Not to be too critical, but your post is a compendium of vague non-information.

Indeedeth.

trob said:
They actually have a bunch of people from all differnet handycaps

That's handy ! :D

Nice name by the way, lad :D

OP
T

trob

Apr 2, 2006
I took a gander at the magazine again today...not only did they use many different handycaps but they had each fited so the clubs would suit thier style of play.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Just got the issue today. Reaffirmed my desire for a set of MP 60's. I will play the season out with the 690mb's though. I hope to become a much better ballstriker out of sheer frustration. I noticed the R7 425 scored better than the Launcher 460. Why they were not testing a Highbore or a Comp is beyond me. I hit the 425 once on the course. I hit it off center and had a wicked slice that only went 230yds. Not impressed. My good drives go around 290. The guy playing it loved it though. He was about my height and 30lbs. heavier. I was only outdriving him by 5-10yards. and my swing speed was at least 10mph faster.

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
I enjoy club-review editions of the different magazines. It gives me more things to think about buying when I win the lottery.:D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The club test issues are nice, but how does it relate to you and your swing? They had a section that showed which of the testers bought which clubs after the test and when the money was being handed over the selection was spread across the board. While the majority may prefer a certain club, it may not be the club for you. Unless you go through the same process on your own, what the testers preferred has zero relationship to what would work for you.

Still, the best part of Golf Magazine is the last page in the issue. Feherty's page.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
trob said:

Irons 10 to 20 handicap....Wilson That was a surprise to me and it seemed like everyone at the magazine.

Don't know what the best driver is but I know it isn't the Ping. Callaway fairway woods can't be faulted. Mizuno just make the best irons ever. Wilson clubs are ugly and poorly weighted.

I'm in one of those straight talking moods today so NER!

OP
T

trob

Apr 2, 2006
lol..because you don't like ping nobody else can like it. lol Bad mood today? I was kinda confused...last year they picked the R7. This year they picked the g5 even though they admit it felt like the g2 with a new paint.

OP
T

trob

Apr 2, 2006
Did it say that in the article? Why would that be?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Accushnet who own Titleist & Cobra don't allow there clubs to be included in magazine tests in europe as they say there are to many varibles, wasn't sure if that is the same in the US. This is a shame because I'm sure they would compare well and sell a lot more gear on the back of it. I'm not sure if they allow there balls to be tested though?

OP
T

trob

Apr 2, 2006
How could you not allow it. Whats to stop me from picking up thier product and then giving a review of it? Thiers no legal way to stop them I don't think.

🔥 Latest posts