• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New golf magazine has club reviews

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
ManchesterGolfer said:
I'm not sure if they allow there balls to be tested though?
Nope they dont allow there Titleist or pinnacle golf balls to be tested unless one of there technichians basically sets up the experiments just incase people discover that their balls arent the be all and end all of golf balls.

OP
T

trob

Apr 2, 2006
I know both those balls were tested when golf magazine did thier last test. I believe they picked bridgestone as thier favorite golf ball.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
trob said:
I know both those balls were tested when golf magazine did thier last test. I believe they picked bridgestone as thier favorite golf ball.

This is probably why they did not participate in the club test. Didn't like the Pro V1? We are not sending you any clubs to test:p .

I am still not a big fan of golf publications doing club tests since a large portion of their ad income comes from the same companies whose equipment they are testing. Having the readers do the testing is a bit better as they do not have the same conflict of interest problems, but what equipment is allowed to be tested? Take a read through the last few issues of Golf magazine and focus on the ads. How many clubs were in the test that did not have advertising space bought by the parent company?

captglover

Jul 4, 2006
A big company with lots of market share like Accusnet can afford to "not participate". They might feel the mag's writing staff is prejudiced about their product, or out to "sell" their reviews, or want to stir things up by choosing a lesser known maker... If you are #1, you have something to lose, if you are # 7 and spend lots of ad money in their magazine, you have a lot to gain.

As to irons, I was very attracted to the Mizunos, nice feel and lots of different designs to fit different games. But in the end, I got a set of Titleist. A pro who I trust said he toured all the factories of clubmakers before signing a representation deal. He was most impressed with the quality control at Titleist. He said every detail was attended to, and if something was not perfect, it was pulled off the line. He felt a lot of the high profile makers just slapped their sticks together without a lot of care.

I found a new set that was not the "latest" model, for a great deal. 804 forged. I liked the look, feel, and they suited my game, so I got them. I love them! I really like the sound of the ball hitting a forged club...:)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Not surprised by the G5 driver. That's what I've found works best this summer. Hardly miss the fairway anymore and as long as I've ever been. Might buy another just to mess with different shafts.

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
ONly Just relised.

After many years of reading golf mags in the uk i never relised that titliest and cobra were not reviewed!!!!! I think i must of been dropped as a baby or something. Learn something new everyday. I did read a ball review were titliest refused their balls to be tested for spin and distance as is was not accurate and too many variables.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I love my Titleist's as well, and it's difficult to accurately review a club in comparison to others.

A lot of people love the Launcher, and I hit it and just loved my r7 that much more. Does that mean anything? No.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.