• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New golfer buying first set of clubs?

jeff1987

Sep 28, 2007
Hey everyone, so this summer i started to get into golfing. past few months ive been using my dads old clubs. Was looking to buy myself a nice set of clubs that will last me for years to come. the clubs im using now are nothing special. Im using Dunlop Black Maxx irons if anyones even heard of those, a Orlimar trimetal driver, and a carbite putter. Ive been playing without a 7-iron or a sand wedge but im just a regular beginner yet close break in under a 100. So was looking to get myself a set of clubs that is going to be a solid set that is going to last me through the years. a few that caught my eye were the callaway x-20 irons. would these be a good pickup for me? also would anyone reccomend a driver/woods/wedge and putter that are solid pickups? Not too concerned about the price but want to pick the right set of clubs for me to be able to use and grow into. thx

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
if your looking for the right set the best thing to do is go to a store where you can hit some balls.plus if your near a bigger city that has a place with a launch monitor try hitting some on the LM and they will help set you up with the best clubs for you.

as for the x-20`s i haven`t hit any, but i have had a set of x-18`s for a few yrs and i like them.my only regret is that since i have been playing for a little over 10 yrs i wish now i would have went with the pro series.

putters are such a feel thing you really need to try them out.

as far as drivers go there are a lot of good choices out there.surf around here long enough and you will get a feel for what the majority favor.but if you can get to an LM that is your best option.

also check out the pros shop here GG usually has some good deals and a lot of us here will swear by them.or maybe even Lyle can hook you up with something.

good luck and happy golf egg hunting.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Get lessons and get fitted.

Doesn't really matter what club you are looking for specfically, but make sure you demo many irons multiple times. That way you get the best feel for what you want. And, as I said, get fitted in the process.

Personally I'd recommend the lessons first, since that will help groove your swing before you buy irons tailored to it.

Welcome to the board, and good name. :)

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Lessons are a great idea at the score you shoot. Getting fitted is also a great idea. If you are any kind of reader, read "Search for the Perfect Golf Club" by Tom Wishon.

The cheapest way to get fitted with new clubs is to go with component clubs or even clones, if you can buy them in a shop.

Don't get clones on the internet. Some of the better companies do sell through shops and it is a good value if you don't intend to resell them in the future. Most of the guys on this board will tell you to avoid clones. For them they are right. If you want a decent set of clubs that you are going to use for 10 years, clones may be the way to go.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.