• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Golfer - little money - suggestions?

arewethereyet

Jun 21, 2009
I know, I probably shouldn't play golf if I don't have much money, but I really enjoy playing and want to make the best of the games I do play.

Are there any suggestions on how to get better without spending a lot of money?

I have my own clubs. I can drive the ball fairly well, but I'm awful on the fairway and in the rough. Putting is probably subpar.

I've tought about spending a lot of time at the driving range videotaping myself...but I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Group lessons, normally there will be 5-6 people in the group, with 5-6 one hour lessons. They run less than a hundred around here. That way you're starting out with good fundamentals.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
Do you have any videos you can show us? That will help.

Really, as far as how to save money, I can't give very good advice as I work at a private club and as a result get to play it and the public course next to it for free, but definitely play on weekdays, most courses offer some sort of cheap twilight rate too.

If you want to practice a lot, look for a range that can give you an unlimited ball range pass, it will pay off in the long run, depending on the amount of balls you hit. When I had one(before I didn't need it anymore) I hit balls everyday. I got my 100 bucks worth(for 3 months) easily.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Go to your local library. You should find plenty of good books on the golf swing. That's how I taught myself to play. I've never spent a dime on lessons. As mentioned above an unlimited range key is well worth the money.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Your starting in the right place if you are looking to improve without spending money. The people here are very helpful and informative!.

Start with some videos of your swings. I'd put them up on www.swingacademy.com

Research the golf swing and learn the basics, solid fundemantals (grip, alignment, ball position, posture,) are all very key to building a good swing. I would also look at some videos of pro's swings and make sure to note things about the impact position (you will need to repetitively practice getting the club down into a proper impact position everytime!, you shouldn't even need to hit a ball to do this. Just stand in your living room, take slow motion swings (even little quarter swings are fine) and get into that nice impact position, later you will need to practice getting into a nice follow through position aswell.. But you need to do your research and watch lots of slow motion golf swings to find out these proper positions. I think doing lots of educated practice without hitting balls can be very benificial for muscle memory and can give you some extra confidence on the course.

I'd also recommend reading some books aswell. I really found a book called "Atomic Golf" has really really helped me, but its not an overnight type of adjustment and you will have to be interested in fitness. Here is more info on "Atomic Golf" http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/23619-q-bodybuilding-golf-pro-michael-manavian.html. I really recommend hogans 5 lessons as a good book.

What I've learned, is that you can't be scared to change things in your swing drasticly so that you can learn for yourself what changing specific components of your swing will do. Doing this can feel super wierd swinging at first, but it will definitly allow you to feel what does what if you can commit to your changes. This can be very frustrating to try on a golf course if your not a member out for a practice round, so I recomend hitting some buckets while changing things around in your swing every few balls to learn from it.

Anyways, Good luck. Its a fun game to learn. Hopefully I gave some good advice;
I'm not that great at golf but I have been picking it up very quickly lately with the help of Atomic Golf and all the advice/tips from the knowledgable more experienced golfers that are present on these forums. So all that is just what I've learned from my expereince and should be taken lightly. :).

Oh yea, if you can get out and practice putting and/or chipping on a practice green... Then do it!. Good putting/chipping can seriously save your arse on the course and really helps to keep the scores down, The only way to improve at putting is to hit some putts.

From, Chris.

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Go to local courses and practice the short game. It's usually free and you can just play mini-games against your friends. Then, try to play weekday twilight times. My brother and I pay about 20 dollars each at start golfing at about 5pm, super twilight?. We only get about 15 or 16 holes in but it's a pretty cheap way to play golf.

OP
A

arewethereyet

Jun 21, 2009
I can't quite afford lessons right now, so here is what I'm thinking of doing.

I'll take a video camera out to the driving range and tape from the rear and side. Post that online here (and swing academy) and hopefully get a few pointers.

I'll also try a book or two.

I have someone who has offered to go with me for free to a driving range, but I'm not sure of their abilities (they say they have been playing for 25 years and usually shoot a 85-90).

Thanks for the suggestions.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
As far as books go, these are the ones you need to start off with.

Hogan's 5 easy lessons

Bob Rotella's, Golf is not a game of perfect

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Walk the edges of the local munis. Pick up a crap load of lost balls. Put them in a five gallon bucket. Find a school yard, park, field, or somewhere you can hit balls. Pour balls out of bucket. Swing and throw bucket as far as you can. Chip all the balls at the bucket. After you've hit them all, do little chips until they are all right next to the bucket.

Pick up bucket and throw it again. Repeat the chipping process. After you really get the feel of the chip shots, start walking the bucket out a specific distance and hit all the balls at it with the club you hit from that distance. Then chip them all until they are close.

Repeat. This is how I learned how to play golf as a kid. I did this for many hours, and consequently developed a lot of confidence in my wedge and short irons. There were so many divots in the local grade school athletic field that eventually I was chased away. Then I moved to a park next to a river until they chased me out of there. Didn't cost a thing but callouses on my hands and some pretty good sun burn.

Short irons are your scoring clubs. You do this for a number of hours for even three or four weeks, and when you can afford to get on the course your scores will be much better.

Also wouldn't hurt to go to the local muni and putt for hours on the putting green. It's free and putting is half the game. I should hit the putting green myself, as right now I'm a hitting the ball better than a fat guy should, but cannot make a putt.

But I would rather bitch about my putting.

Kevin

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
When you go play, try and scope out the better players at the courses... Befriend them, and try and play with people who have a better handicap than yours.

For instance, I played at random with 2 guys who were scratch golfers last year.. They TORN through the course from the tips. Me and my partner? We played from the middle tees and usually shoot a consistent 90 at times.

That day, playing with them, I was playing out of my mind, and ended up shooting a 85 that day.

Just watching and studying people who have sound swings, little movements and such.. It's a good way to learn, and even better if they'll play a round with you and toss random pointers along.

🔥 Latest posts