• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Golfer, new/old clubs

jayhoe

Apr 4, 2005
Hi, I'm pretty new to golf, just started last year. I'm starting to get a lot better though, with a par every now and then. Anyway, I've been using my Dad's old clubs - some persimmon woods (Macgregor, Toney Penna, Citation) and Toney Penna irons (TP2). Probably since I'm new to the game I don't notice a whole lot of difference when I use my friends' metal woods and the persimmon ones except I might have a little more control with the wood woods unless that's just a coincidence.

When I don't slice it into the trees I can occasionally knock it 220-230+ yds or so with the driver and I've hit over 200 with the 3 wood. Unfortunately my 3 wood which I loved was a little abused (not by me) and the other day a chunk of wood finally came out of it making the club useless. I decided to upgrade and get a nice new 3 wood and a good 7 wood as well since 1) I can't hit a 3 iron very consistently and 2) my clubs are mysteriously missing a 3 iron anyway.

Long story short I chose a 3 and 7 wood (Niblick) from Louisville Golf - http://www.louisvillegolf.com/index.php/cPath/2_15 (got a good deal off ebay). I've read countless good reviews about these clubs both about the company and how amazing the clubs play. Since I'm a beginner I reasoned that the 10 yds or so I might lose from not hitting metal woods would not be a big deal if they give me more control. Plus the wood goes with the other clubs I have and I just think they look nicer.

Does anyone have any experience with these clubs or any comments for me as a novice golfer? Thanks for any thoughts and sorry for such a long first post. Also once the clubs come in and I get a chance to hit some balls, I'll post my thoughts if anyone is interested.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The persimmon wood looks great but there is a reason no one on the tour plays them.

If you are comfortaable with them, enjoy them and play well.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.