• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New GolfSmith P2s, need shaft length help

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I ordered a set of Golfsmith P2s with the FFM deal floating around and they arrived today. I got them at 6:30 and as of 7:00 they are already drying from shafting. Now my only question is shaft length. I found a length calculator on Pinemeadow.com and it told me that I need -1/2". Does that mean I take 1/2" off the standard length of the club? I am 6'1" and have always felt that my Ping Karstens were a little short and they were standard length. Does this mean that My new irons are going to be even shorter?

Lastly, when measuring you are supposed to measure from the heel of the club to the cut point correct?

Thanks gentlemen!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if you really felt they were short - I certainly wouldn't go any shorter

your height isn't as important as your wrist to floor (WTF) measurement (for example, a short guy with alligator arms would need a longer club, while a tall guy who's knuckles drag on the ground would be better served by a shorter club)

there's some other factors too - if your swing plane is more upright you'll likely be better served with shorter clubs, but if your swing plane is on the flatter side and you swing smoothly longer may be better for you.

I think you're supposed to play the longest club you can consistently make good center-face contact with - for many/most golfers, that is somewhere just short of "standard"

If I were you, I'd pick the 5 iron and only cut that one to length. blow a grip on with compressed air and head to the range with some tape - see how consistently you make good center face contact and write it down
then cut it a bit shorter and try it again - if it gets worse, then pull that shaft and use it in a shorter iron - if it improves, try it again
once you find where you're making the best contact, then get the other clubs in line with that one

good luck

larlev

Feb 22, 2008
Remember that there really is not an exact standard length...Golfsmith is 37.75 for steel and 38.25 for graphite for there 5 irons whereas Cleveland, Adams, etc. use 38"

Also is this your first set to make, reason is.... I have found it much easier to measure and cut before I epoxied.

I agree w/ above post...get your wrist to floor measurement. If you have long arms...you'll need a shorter shaft, shorter arms longer....

My measurement was 37.5 so I cut my 5 iron to 38.5...Make sure and use some fitting wizards and do what you think is best....I researched a lot before building my other snake eyes set.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Golfsmith changes their standard size chart from year to year. I noticed that this year they are shorter by 1/4 inch than previous years (could be based on the increased 8 gram seperation between clubheads up from 7 grams for MOI matching) where they also recommended a 38 inch standard length 5 iron. I guess it all depends on the theories of the guy who writes the chart. When Wishon was there, he did not believe in different lengths for steel versus graphite shafted clubs which is why he developed graphite weighted heads for some models and eventually lead to the hosel weight port on most of the models. As soon as he left, GS went to the split standard weight charts for steel or grpahite shafts. I still buy into the one correct length theory regardless of shaft. The only reason manufacturers list a graphite lengths is to make it easier to attain a certain swingweight.

larlev

Feb 22, 2008
Golfsmith changes their standard size chart from year to year. I noticed that this year they are shorter by 1/4 inch than previous years (could be based on the increased 8 gram seperation between clubheads up from 7 grams for MOI matching) where they also recommended a 38 inch standard length 5 iron. I guess it all depends on the theories of the guy who writes the chart. When Wishon was there, he did not believe in different lengths for steel versus graphite shafted clubs which is why he developed graphite weighted heads for some models and eventually lead to the hosel weight port on most of the models. As soon as he left, GS went to the split standard weight charts for steel or grpahite shafts. I still buy into the one correct length theory regardless of shaft. The only reason manufacturers list a graphite lengths is to make it easier to attain a certain swingweight.

Exactly right regarding graphite lengths

Where did you see 38". My new catalog states same 37.75".....please don't tell me they have 2 diff measurements floating around...LOL

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You should seriously look at a TLT fitting and do it right the first time.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Exactly right regarding graphite lengths

Where did you see 38". My new catalog states same 37.75".....please don't tell me they have 2 diff measurements floating around...LOL

Last year's catalog and the previous few years catalogs. I noticed the change the other day when I went to shaft up my hybrids. The 2008 Catalog adjusted the standard lengths for irons down a 1/4". Nothing major there, but I do believe the change is due to their increasing the weight gap in their iron heads from 7g differences to 8g difference to make it easier to MOI match the irons.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You should seriously look at a TLT fitting and do it right the first time.

Is there anyway to do TLT without paying $250 for the charts? I thought about trying the geometry myself, but I am a bit rusty and way too lazy. :D

larlev

Feb 22, 2008
Last year's catalog and the previous few years catalogs. I noticed the change the other day when I went to shaft up my hybrids. The 2008 Catalog adjusted the standard lengths for irons down a 1/4". Nothing major there, but I do believe the change is due to their increasing the weight gap in their iron heads from 7g differences to 8g difference to make it easier to MOI match the irons.

Huh we must have diff catalogs....my 2007 and 2008 state same thing...go figure

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Huh we must have diff catalogs....my 2007 and 2008 state same thing...go figure

I might be the 2006 Catalog I have on the work bench. I will check when I go home. Either that, or the old brain is deteriating a lot faster than expected. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.