• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New groove rule question

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I have some Nike pro combo os irons and Nike wedges and want to know if they comply with the new groove rule. Looked it up and they have what Nike calls a u/v groove to them, I heard yesterday that tiger already has been using the new grooves this year and I seen on tv that I use the same wedges that he does so I wanted to know if these we legal under the new rule.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
If you aren't planning on playing in any PGA Tour events within the next year then you really shouldn't be worrying about it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
They are. Anything you have in the bag now will be grandfathered in. The only thing you would ever need to worry about is an OEM that made a non-conforming wedge for purchase after the groove rule was in effect.

Keep on truckin....

R35

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Groove changes for amatuers has been moved back to 1/1/2011, not next year.

All clubs built this year, and now next year, will be grandfathered in for club play until 2024. For High-level amatuer play, US Am's State Am's etc. the clubs are grandfathered in until 2014.

IF you are going to qualify for the US Open or are getting a sponsor's exemption to a PRO Tour Event (PGA, Euro, Hooters, etc. etc.) then you will need your new clubs for next year starting 1/1/2010.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Groove changes for amatuers has been moved back to 1/1/2011, not next year.

All clubs built this year, and now next year, will be grandfathered in for club play until 2024. For High-level amatuer play, US Am's State Am's etc. the clubs are grandfathered in until 2014.

IF you are going to qualify for the US Open or are getting a sponsor's exemption to a PRO Tour Event (PGA, Euro, Hooters, etc. etc.) then you will need your new clubs for next year starting 1/1/2010.

I thought it was 2024 for amatuers. No lie, 15 years away.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Since I don't play local tournaments I don't give a dang. One of the perks for not being very good and avoiding demonstrating it. :)

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I am changing careers this fall and moving south and getting my PGA teaching certification and gonna try playing in mini tours next year while I look for a assistant pro job, so I am trying to find out if my clubs will be legal to play in professional events or if I need to update.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I am changing careers this fall and moving south and getting my PGA teaching certification and gonna try playing in mini tours next year while I look for a assistant pro job, so I am trying to find out if my clubs will be legal to play in professional events or if I need to update.

If you are going pro level, then I'd email Nike and ask them specifically that question. I'm fairly certain that all pro level comps will be played with the new grooves come Jan 1, 2010 with "Top Level Amatuer" tourneys needing the new grooves Jan 1, 2014.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I thought it was 2024 for amatuers. No lie, 15 years away.

R35

It is for low level amatuers, i.e. club level.

For state Am's, D1 college (maybe all college), and national Am's you will have to have the new grooves by Jan 1, 2014.

🔥 Latest posts