• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NEW GROOVES RULE

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Did anyone else hear the announcers at the PGA today talking about the new rule for the grooves on irons and wedges today? I couldn't get my wife to shut up long enough to fully get the jest of it, but from what I gathered, starting next year all these clubs built lately will be grandfathered in, but all new irons and wedges will have the old school style grooves?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I believe the rule only applies to the elite tournaments. 2010. Our shovels , the tools of the common man are safe. Whoa I almost lost it there.:prop:

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Folks,

The new rule applies to irons and wedges manufactured after January 1, 2010. You might be safe until 2024, but you won't be able to buy new clubs manufactured after January 1, 2010 that don't conform to the new rules.

S-

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
It will affect all major tournaments, and slowly move down the ranks through a couple years after.

Im betting that college will be 100% new grooves starting in 2010.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So basically what you do is buy a bunch of your current sets of clubheads before 2010 and then when you wear out your current set, just shaft the next set...as long as they were manufactured before 2010 it doesnt matter...

Seems to me like post 2010 iron sets arnt going to sell very well, especially if they have less spinability(word???)

Anybody think they will just start making the new grooves an "option" for those who wish to compete with the irons while still making the "good grooves" for those who do not wish to compete?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.