• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New HO GS Lie-Loft Tool

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I purchased a GS lie loft bending earlier this spring. Checked all my irons and was amazed at how far off the loft and lie was on the forged blades. Hogan Apex plus, Mizzy MP14, AND particularly the Vokey wedges. On the wedges the lie was off up to 8* and the lofts up to 3*. Also the effort to bend the Vokeys back to my specs was minimal. I will be checking the forged clubs routinely. The Forged Hogan CFT Edges(cavity backs with a heavier head) were fairly close.

Last year I was not hitting the 8 iron on my CFT set with a distance between the 9 iron and 7 iron. So I had brought it to a local clubmaker to set the loft midway between the 7 and 9. No help so I just lived with it the rest of the year. This spring I checked the loft of the 8i myself and found it to be 2* closer to the 9i than the 7 iron. I adjusted to a midpoint and so far all is good. My yardage gaps are back.

The lie loft tool with this adjustment alone for me was worth the purchase price. The 8 iron is one of the most used irons in my bag. Also bringing my wedges back to specs works for me also.:) I beleve later on in the season when it warms up I will be checking distances and further tweaking the lofts. Distance control is a paramount for good golf.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I can't believe the lie is 8* out, have you measured that right? From memory the wedges will be 64, so are you saying they are at 56 on standard 35.5" length?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
How much did you give for that? I see that golfsmith's is on sale for $299 right now. I want one so badly, but I don't have the money right now. You can get a hybrid adaptor kit for that one for only $50. I know my irons need bent upright, but in season, the local shop will have them for 7-10 days. I sold all my back-ups. I'm stuck.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
If you need a lie tool to tell you the lie is 8* out maybe you would be better off spending the $300 on range balls.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Well, a wedge 8 degree to flat is pretty bizarre, somat aint reet

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
8* is a hell of a lot, more than I have ever seen by a long shot.

Be sure when you set the club in the machine that the score lines of the face are running flat (parallel) to the clamp.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Sorry about the 8*statement. Was multitasking at the time. Lie was at 60* corrected to 64*. Oops. Anyway 4* still quite a bit. An still amazed how little pressure it took to bend it back. Was on a Raw Vokey 60 wedge.

Be sure when you set the club in the machine that the score lines of the face are running flat (parallel) to the clamp.
The setting of the club face is a step I take to almost obsessiveness. No use in adjustment if the measurement is not correct. Again sorry about that. Anyway the loft changes were stated correctly.

How much did you give for that? I see that golfsmith's is on sale for $299 right now.

It was $275 free ship during one of their sales. I had been going to a part time builder to get lie loft checked but did not trust his work. So I decided to give it a shot. Through out the 2 sets he had adjusted I found lie loft numbers to be off 1 to 2 degrees randomly. The gentleman is an excellent instructor and PGA member. He got to announce the 10th hole at the last PGA championship at Whistling Straits. He said it was real cool to announce Tiger on the tee. Anyway maybe one of his part timers may have done the work. Who knows? But I'm more comfortable now.

🔥 Latest posts