• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new irons are a-coming-- i can see it.....

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Reaction score
I have been playing around lately with the idea of needing stiffer shafts in my irons. I am hitting the ball pretty far with my current irons but with no real consistent shot pattern, some straight some left, some righht. so today after work at stopped at the pro shop on the driving range at checked out some new irons-

Ping i10- Stiff AWT
Mizuno mp-57 project x 5.5
Callaway ft nippon uniflex.

I immediately fell in love with the i10's with the callys second. did not like the mizzys..

i was very shocked at how well i hit the pings- i was hitting these side by side with my g2's, and i feel like everything about thei10's was better.

I may be ordering these soon.....

I would recommend hitting the Titleist AP2 irons. They are more forgiving than the i-10 irons and feel, to me, quite a bit better. They communicate well on mishits but don't punish you in the process. It's easy to work the ball with them as well.

Great irons! And they come standard with Project X shafts.

S-

You're playing G2's and liked the I10's...what more is there to consider?? ;)

G10s?

I hit a G10 4iron a few months back and the darn club almost swung itself.
I'd prefer the I5's myself (although I have no plans to replace the I3's), but since he already likes the I10's....

bunker, you might want to find a demo or rental set and play 18 with them before you buy. They're not cheap, and the I10's have a reputation for being demanding.

i was hoping i coul drent a set somewhere, but no good, not on long island anyway.. I was actually thinking of doing a mixed set. long irons g10's and the short irons i10's.

What i am experiencing right now with my g2's is I can hit the long irons great. even the 3 iron, but i am very inconsistent with the short irons. dont know why. I had a set of mx-23 which i wish i kept, i love dthe short irons in that set, couldnt hit the long irons well... I just want a normal looking club, for some reason i feel i swing a smaller head better than the huge sgi heads. I hit the i10 and the g2 with impact tape on them, i was hitting the center more on the i10 than the g2... the guy at the pros hop said this could be from the shafts too, he thinks i need stiff..

Anyway THe i10's seeme dto be very forgiving to me, but all they had for demo was the 7 iron. they felt more forgiving than the mx-23's. I was going to buy a set off of ebay and play around wit them, if I turned out to hate them, I could always resell them for the same price..

Now I just need to sell my g2's.. after hitting new irons, i have the itch, and new irons are definitley in my future... Only problem is right now my 5 iron is out of commision on the g2 set. the black rubber weight fell out of the club and I need to send it to ping for repair. so that may take a while....

Can anyone direct nme to an iron that sets up an dlooks similar to the i10, but is more forgiving- if so id like to try it.... I just really want a smaller head..

would like to buy cant find them anywhere to demo....

I would recommend hitting the Titleist AP2 irons. They are more forgiving than the i-10 irons and feel, to me, quite a bit better. They communicate well on mishits but don't punish you in the process. It's easy to work the ball with them as well.

Great irons! And they come standard with Project X shafts.

S-

QFT!

Love my AP2's ;)

Ping S59, S58 (or soon) the S57 series. Thin top line, low offset and narrower soles. Really are sweet. :)

Can anyone direct nme to an iron that sets up an dlooks similar to the i10, but is more forgiving- if so id like to try it.... I just really want a smaller head..

Take a look see at the Bridgestone j-36 Pocket Cavities. Smaller head, looks and feels like a blade, has all the forgiveness of a cavity.

j36pocket.jpg

golf galaxy in westbury rents out demo sets i believe.

also panda sports near dyker golf course in brooklyn (not far from the belt/southern state pkway) rents out sets.

i dont really have the time to run to brooklyn, but if westbury has demo sets that would be awesome... I am going to golf galaxy today to find out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520