• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New irons for my dad

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
OK, my dad's birthday is coming up and I would like to spread the ho'ing.

He is currently using Callaway X14's grahite shafts, all standard.

His new set will be fitted.

I am looking for Super Super Game Improvement irons. Been looking at the Callaway Fusion Wide Sole irons.

Anyone else have any thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I personally didn't like the Fusion wide-soles at all when I tried them, but I think that was mainly down to their look at address - that filled in cavity just felt wrong to my eyes and I didn't like their feel at all.

If you're going for more forgiveness than the X-14s then you could also go to the Big Berthas if he likes Callaway and doesn't want to just modernize to the new X-20s. There are the Ping Raptures too, the Cobra S9s (which we should be getting a review of soon I hope!) and also I remember someone here really liking the TM R7 CGB Max irons they had. And don't forget the Adams hybrid sets!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Honestly, the Pings aren't a bad way to go. They are pretty forgiving, but as you get to be a better player, still usable.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Just got back from Golfsmith.

Looked at Fusion wides, raptures, s9's (although they didn't have the senior ones).

The fusion wide sole clubs are heavy (I think they might be too heavy for my dad) which is why I kinda passed on the Mizuno MX 900, on the heavy side.

I think I am leaning towards the Ping Raptures, figure 5-PW, maybe include the GW or SW.

We'll have matching sets. :laugh:

But in the end, I am going to try and take him to Golf Galaxy this weekend to get fitted and he can choose which ever club he feels more comfortable with. He's definitely not suited for standard equipment.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Take a look at the Nike Slingshot OSS Super Game improvement irons and have the widest sole imaginable. I hit 7/9 GIR with them today and still shot 6 over.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
go with mizuno mx-25, or mx-23... the 23's you can find for cheap, now that they are last years model...

something that he can grow into, not something that he will need to replace in a year when he gets better..

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
go with mizuno mx-25, or mx-23... the 23's you can find for cheap, now that they are last years model...

something that he can grow into, not something that he will need to replace in a year when he gets better..

Not sure if he is going to get better. My dad is 63 and doesn't get out much. He used to get out maybe 5 times a year but more so these days since I've started playing golf. He is probably a +30 handicap. I don't think he'll ever need cavity backs that he can grow into and start working the ball.

I just want him to be able to hit straight shots and get distance. From seeing him swing, he needs all the help he can get which is why I am going for super game improvement irons.

I understand that a lot has to do with the swing but for now, I at least want him to have easy to hit irons.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Have you considered having him try some hybrids? Even drop everything but the 7up for hybrids?

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
My dad is 63 and doesn't get out much. He used to get out maybe 5 times a year but more so these days since I've started playing golf. He is probably a +30 handicap. I don't think he'll ever need cavity backs that he can grow into and start working the ball.

Sounds like you have exactly the right idea, and going from game improvement to super game improvement is perfect for him.

You might also have a look at the 'transition' set that Cobra have just released, which apparently has shafts designed to be somewhere between regular and senior flex and transitions from hybrids to wide-soled, large cavity irons in the short irons. You could also look at the Cleveland Hi-Bore iron sets that do a similar thing.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Not sure if he is going to get better. My dad is 63 and doesn't get out much. He used to get out maybe 5 times a year but more so these days since I've started playing golf. He is probably a +30 handicap. I don't think he'll ever need cavity backs that he can grow into and start working the ball.

I just want him to be able to hit straight shots and get distance. From seeing him swing, he needs all the help he can get which is why I am going for super game improvement irons.

I understand that a lot has to do with the swing but for now, I at least want him to have easy to hit irons.

i agree.. i didnt realize the circumstances..

how about some Taylormade R7 draw's? those are about as forgiving you are gonna get... or as 15 said, Nike Slingshot's.. you cant go wrong with either of those in the forgivign department..

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Sounds like you have exactly the right idea, and going from game improvement to super game improvement is perfect for him.

You might also have a look at the 'transition' set that Cobra have just released, which apparently has shafts designed to be somewhere between regular and senior flex and transitions from hybrids to wide-soled, large cavity irons in the short irons. You could also look at the Cleveland Hi-Bore iron sets that do a similar thing.

Good idea.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I thought about the hybrid sets and think they might be a good idea.

I am taking him to the local shop this weekend so he can hit a bunch of irons.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.