• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Irons-suggestions welcome!

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Hey guys, so here's the deal....

I currently play 2006 Big Bertha's, a Big Bertha driver, Big Bertha Heavenwood 3 hybrid, a X Hot 3 wood and a CG11 60 degree wedge.

I am in the market for some new irons and was wondering your thoughts on a few things:

1. Irons that will take me from the Bertha's super game improvement, hit em high irons, to something a little more less forgiving but not a blade. If that even makes sense...LOL

2. Brands to go with or stay away from...the guys at my home course say no to Nike Victory Reds.

3. Should I pay the extra cash and go for a fitting or just buy OTR?

Let me know what you think....the guys at the course say look at X22's if I want to stay with Callaway or the TM burners

What do you guys think?

Thanks....MrT

buykrux

May 15, 2009
there are much better irons out there than TM and Callaway IMO
id suggest AP2s, smaller compact head but a breeze to hit
if you like callaway try the xtours

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Spend the $$ and get a fitting. Hit as many different irons as you can and you will find one you like. I wouls also recomend that you look at the Mizuno MX200. they are top notch GI irons that have a somewhat more traditional profile. Shafts will be more important than the heads will be, IMO.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Definitely get fitted, but I'd suggest telling the guy doing the fitting up front that you're not going to buy brand new. Find out what length and lie you need, and what shaft works best. Then shop around, find a set of good used forged game improvement irons you like and get them adjusted to the specs you received in your fitting.

I love my Srixon's, forged so they have a great feel, cavity back so they are forgiving compared to a blade, but a smaller compact head, so they don't look like a shovel. Both the i506's and the newer ones are fairly cheap right now on eBay.

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I really like my Bridgestone GC Mids, they aren't super shovel-like but they are quite forgiving and they have Nippon lightweight steel shafts. I got mine for $86 off ebay.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Get fitted for sure. It makes a huge difference - Mizzy do it free I believe (they do in the UK) and having hit the MX200s I would also suggest you try a set. They are forgiving and have great feel. Plus you get many shaft options etc.

I am also a Hogan iron fan - the Apex Edges are a good, forgiving set that wouldn't cost a fortune.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
+ 1 to all of the advice to get fitted & another + 1 to go & hit as many iron sets as possible.

Don't get caught up in macho B.S. about needing to play blades. Have a look at the amount of tour players playing cavity backs. Nuff said about that.

If you're swing rated to a particular shaft (eg. regular) don't be disappointed & think that you need to hit with a stiff or x-stiff shaft in order to be a man. It's the shaft that does the work for you & the wrong shaft will work against you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Go to Ping's website. Find the Ping Fitting Cart that is closest to where you live. Most good fitters will apply the cost of the fitting to the cost of a set of irons. Ping has the entire gamut from game improvement to blade-like. Hit all styles and go with the ones you hit best... look best... give you the most confidence... and are recommended by the fitter. With the Ping irons you will get irons that are, virtually, indestructable... have the very best customer service in the industry backing them... and have access to extremely low cost adjustments, if needed, over the life of the irons.

TexTM

Aug 9, 2009
Just got Callaway X22's ... really like them and would suggest that you give them a demo.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.