• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Irons

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
Well I finally pulled my head outta my ass last night and my reward is some new custom fit irons this Saterday.

I'm looking for further recommendations to check out if anyone has any.

I currently really like the Cleveland CG Gold & The Titliest AP1's.
I should be a high teens hdcp if my swing stays. I like a "game improvement" iron, and something with good feel that is pretty forgiving. My big kick though is to avoid a large offset. My natural miss is a draw, a hook, or a pull.. higher offsets simply make this worse for me. I was checking out ping again but all there clubs for players of my ability have a LARGE offset.

Thoughts?

--- Update in my bottom post... please help.
Chuck

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well I finally pulled my head outta my ass last night and my reward is some new custom fit irons this Saterday.

I'm looking for further recommendations to check out if anyone has any.

I currently really like the Cleveland CG Gold & The Titliest AP1's.
I should be a high teens hdcp if my swing stays. I like a "game improvement" iron, and something with good feel that is pretty forgiving. My big kick though is to avoid a large offset. My natural miss is a draw, a hook, or a pull.. higher offsets simply make this worse for me. I was checking out ping again but all there clubs for players of my ability have a LARGE offset.

Thoughts?

Chuck
MacGregor MT. Not cheap. Check 'em out.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Get fitted for Pings. Then have Ping WRX reduce or remove the offset to your taste. It'll cost a little more, but you'll have a custom fit set of clubs that will last a long, long time.

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
I can't get myself to by pings to try that as I can't find any I really like hitting.. I think the high offset in them contributes to my dislike of them.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I can't get myself to by pings to try that as I can't find any I really like hitting.. I think the high offset in them contributes to my dislike of them.
I'm with you. Every Ping I've ever hit feels like a shovel. Looks like one too.

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
Offset Question

Hopefully I can find an anwer in this thread...

I am trying to find a listing for the offset for Callaway X20 & The Nike CCI's. Neither site lists this information. Anyone know where I might find it?

Also.. What or Whom is pingwrx?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Hence why I suggested having the offset removed. Ping's will last forever and are a great club for those who aren't Ping haters....

I'm with you. Every Ping I've ever hit feels like a shovel. Looks like one too.
....Like this guy. Watch him, he's a Ping hater! :laugh: btw, how do you know how a shovel feels when hitting a golf ball? That's a trick I want to see!! :D

Exactly what I was referring to.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
....Like this guy. Watch him, he's a Ping hater! :laugh: btw, how do you know how a shovel feels when hitting a golf ball? That's a trick I want to see!! :D
Just let me hit one of your Pings next week....
icon12.gif

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not a ping hater.. I'm just afraid to buy a club that I don't like in its stock form with hopes that I'll like it after an adjustment... seems like a big risk.

any thoughts on finding the offsets for the sticks above?

Also can you get offset removed/reduced from any club? If so where & for how much coin?

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
Anyone have any thoughts on the tour burner from TM? Seems like a decent stick.. found them for a great price... hoping to hit them tomorrow but we'll see.

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
Ok got to play with the G10's, I10's, TM Tour Burner, TM R7 TP, Titliest AP1, Cleveland CG Golds. [My Stat 6iron ball speed of 122-124mph]

I was able to quickly eliminate it down to 3. The R7 TP's, the AP1's, & The CG's.

The TP's & AP1's were nearly identical to me. Very similar feel, distance, launch angle, ball flight, etc. I seemed to be a touch straighter with the AP1's on the simulator so for now out of those two it has a slight edge.

The Clevelands also had great feel, and were very consistent, the big difference here was they had a much higher ball flight on the sim which showed them landing about 10yds shorter w/ the 6iron.

The real question is what will the real world differnce of these ball flights be? And at this point how can I pick one.. the sim will not be enough to sell me on 1 over another.

Would love a smarter equipment guys opinion on this.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'd go with feel and consistency over distance every day of the week. Then again, there's nothing good about iron shots that consistently fly too high.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.