• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Irons

danielson2047

Jun 21, 2006
Alright, i've narrowed my search for new irons for next year down to 1 manufacturer, 3 diff sets. I'm looking @ Adams: Tech OS, A2 OS, and A3 OS. Any input on which ones? The A3 has the new "Boxer" technology and more hybrids. the Tech and A2 I believe are last year's models. Just wondering if anyone had recommendations.

OP
D

danielson2047

Jun 21, 2006
Also, i believe the OS are progressively offset. a)what does this mean & b)i have a tendency to hook, will this increase my hook?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Per the older thread and for a beginning golf. I think you should find a set where you have hybrids to replace at least 3 and 4 iron. 5 is kind of an option. Between the 3, I am not sure I really care for the irons in the tech set. While they may be extremely forgiving, I am not sure that they leave room for improvement. I mainly say this in relation to the sole of the club.

Even the A2 has a similar looking sole and back shell, so between the 3 I would likely go with the A3. While it still looks like a "Super Game Improvement" iron, it still has appeal to me.

Realize though that if you get better at golf you may look to replace these when the time comes.

To me, I kinda compare this to computers. There is always going to be something better around the next turn, but if you want to get into the game you eventually need to pull the trigger. I think there was a lot of valuable information in the last thread, and between the 3 you mention now I would likely go with the A3 and not look back.

Time to start enjoying the game and just like computers, don't over analyze. Time to pull the trigger, enjoy what you get and go from there.

Good luck, and hit them straight!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Also, i believe the OS are progressively offset. a)what does this mean & b)i have a tendency to hook, will this increase my hook?
Yes, if you hook the ball, offset will allow you to more easily close the face and cause more of a hook. Although Progressive offset would lead me to believe it is more as you get to the longer irons, which could still be less offset than other options.

FYI, not sure what price range you are getting into, but if you are raising the bar from what you initially mentioned you may likely be able to get fitted for a component set at a similar price but much better value. Just keep that in mind if you start stepping much over your initial $300 price point. Fitting is the way to go, but you will likely be in a higher range.

What price point are you currently at for a set of irons. Again, like computers, it gets tricky once you start adding to the price point.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Possibly. There's a misconception that "offset" = shut face. It really means the leading edge is further behind the hosel, offset from it. It's more to help with "hands ahead of ball" and fat shots rather than a slice aid or hook enhancer. Every iron set on the planet has a progressive offset, just some are more than others.

Adams makes some good stuff. Another option would be to purchase a set 5 or 6-PW then buy hybrids of your choice seperately. I originally bought my irons as 5-PW and had a hybrid. Then I decided to have them all strengthed (bent strong) to skip a 4iron and get a larger gap from a PW to a 50* GW. I eventually decided to get a 3iron but still skip a 4iron since my 5iron is about 25*.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's curious that my 5-PW irons are based off very little offset. My 8i is 1.3mm and 7i is 1.6mm. I often hit a big draw, borderline hook with these and have a hard time cutting them. On the other hand my 3i is based off a set with a lot more offset. It's a 5.6mm offset. Yet I hardly ever hook/draw that club and can cut it very easily.

I doubt that a few mm's could make much difference but here's a theory based on my swing vs. Tom Wishon. I hit a "clear cut" basically. If the clubface gets to the ball before I've cleared, I hit into a left hip down the targetline vs. one cleared to it. I hit a hook when that happens. On the other hand, if I'm late, too far behind that hip clearing, I block it right.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
It's curious that my 5-PW irons are based off very little offset. My 8i is 1.3mm and 7i is 1.6mm. I often hit a big draw, borderline hook with these and have a hard time cutting them. On the other hand my 3i is based off a set with a lot more offset. It's a 5.6mm offset. Yet I hardly ever hook/draw that club and can cut it very easily.

I can relate. I used to play a high-offset iron, but recently switched to low-offset TaylorMade 300s. I hit a consistent fade with the old clubs, but draw/hook the hell out of the new ones.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As Jayhawk so eloquently states... and provided a good link... offset is most generally thought to allow a more right to left ball flight. If we suggest physics and theory are always right on... that premise would be correct. I would rather believe it is based upon the individual golfer, what he/she is used to, and the time he/she has spent playing this game.

My irons have a great amount of offset. Back when Karsten designed his entree into the casting of irons, the main competition was forged blades with little or no offset. Many who had played the non-offset blades for an entire career, just could not get used to looking down at the much exaggerated offset of Pings. Yet, my Eye 2+'s can be faded or drawn... somewhat on demand. I have no problem over-cooking/over-hooking them. But, they've been in the bag for a long time and I've played primarily offset irons for the past 20 years.

Whew! Got completely off your primary question on the Adams. Adams has really become an OEM to be reckoned with. Lots of exposure on the senior (Champions) tour. And, picked up Rory Sabbatini this past season on the PGA... wresting him away from Nike. They just came out with a new forged iron/hybrid combo set that looks simply pristine.

I've NEVER had any luck with hybrids. Have tried a dozen different models over the past umpteen years. Have always returned to fairway woods. Just a week ago, or so, I picked up a couple A3 Boxer hybrids. Played two rounds this past weekend with them. Jury is still out, but here's the scoop.

You wanna see a wicked hook... a snapper that would make a kangaroo think someone had invented a new style boomarang... you should see me hit hybrids. My experience with hybrids found me following good drives with a hybrid hooked into the woods so deep left the squirrels back there had never seen a golfer. Bad, bad, bad!!! Yet, I still seemed to have a desire to delve into yet another experience with hybrids and see if I could catch any of the "hype" of today's technology.

The Boxers really did surprise me. I had to actually work to hit a hook!!! In fact, the first few swings... until I became confident these were left woods finders as others had been... the ball went right. Once my feeble old mind figured out I could actually aim at a target and hit a straight shot with them... Wow!! The first round was a learning experience, slowly turning a nervousness into fragile confidence. The second round left me wondering if this was just a honeymoon or if I had actually been missing the boat for quite a long time.

I replaced my 7-wood with the 19 degree 3i. Then, since my Pings are weaker lofted than today's irons, I replaced my 3-iron with the 21 degree 4h. So far, this seems to be an extremely good sequencing of distance between clubs. The Boxers are solid. They feel solid and sound solid. So far, I'm pleased.

Go with the A3's. Play them and get to know them and develop an intimate relationship with them. They will give you many, many years of excellent service and allow you to have a very good chance of enjoying a rather frustrating game.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I can relate. I used to play a high-offset iron, but recently switched to low-offset TaylorMade 300s. I hit a consistent fade with the old clubs, but draw/hook the hell out of the new ones.

I picked up a set of those last year. Very similar in playabitlity to my irons. I didn't care for the Rifle shafts in them though.

OP
D

danielson2047

Jun 21, 2006
so you're saying go with the A3OS,or the reg A3? I don't know if the offset is any different, i just know the OS has more hybrids and are supposed to be easier to hit. (Does the OS actually stand for off-set?) And also are more expensive. My cap now is between $400 and $450

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I believe you'll find the A3OS is a larger head... sorta between a typical hybrid and a fairway wood. The OS probably is a moniker for OverSize.

GG had both the A3's and the A3OS in used demos when I was looking last week. The OS just looked "awkward"... but that was just me.

It so much depends on what you are comfortable with. I'm "old school" enough that I have difficulty enough giving up my 3-iron for a hybrid. Could NEVER imagine giving up a 4, 5, or 6 iron. One of our regular group plays one of those Tour Edge sets that is ALL hybrid style through the pitching wedge. He loves them... I wouldn't be caught dead with them in my bag. He plays well with them, because he is confident in what they will do. So... handle 'em both... set both of 'em down and see how they look... pick the set that gives you the most confidence and don't look back!

Members online

No members online now.