• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Irons

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Taylor Made TP's / Mizuno MP60's or Cleveland CG1, folks

?

None of your usual ignoring of posts, thanks.

2 handicapper, good ball-striker.

Gonna get 'em custom-fitted & slapped on the account for whatever any of the company's charge me. More than likely opt for Rifle shafts as I feckin' love 'em, basically.
Wouldn't mind going a dander to Mizuno's custom-fitting place in Scotland, although my mate is fully trained by Mizuno for their custom-fitting ways. Would be nice to get a whack at ever possible iron solution, all the same.

They're all nice, but which one do I opt for, that is the question...

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Don't like the pointed edges on the models you mention, Dave. Never been a fan of Mizuno irons for that very reason. Much prefer a rounded, smaller cavity, much like the three models I have mentioned above.

The 33's & 37's are lacking a wee touch in the technology aspect of things, too. Would also prefer summat that is right bang up to date and do things really properly. The MP32's could be an idea, although I like the more rounded appearence & slight, traditional cavity featured in the newer MP60's.

The Clevelands & TM's are also well nice, but it is unlikely that I can get to try out the former as I have no idea where they are stocked.

Am in desperate need of a set as I am well hunched over with my current standard length irons. Am gonna need an extra 3/4 inch at the very least onto them, plus a couple of degrees or so bent upright, also.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My vote is for the 60's. Sweet sticks. Period.

My second goes to the CG1's. Vijay style. I'm not sure if you can get them here (or there), but the Gunmetal/pearl finish looks outstanding.

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I agree re the CG1s,in gunmetal they look almost evil,superb looking clubs,pull them out in a matchplay and you have a one hole advantage straight away

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
cheers guys.

Not a fan of the TM's, Rock ?

Would love to try 'em all out sometime and compare them all...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Andy_79 said:
cheers guys.

Not a fan of the TM's, Rock ?

Would love to try 'em all out sometime and compare them all...

I like the TP's, just not much of a fan of Taylor Made. There are plenty of others i'd choose before them....Bridgestone, ect.

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
And me,I was most underwhelmed when I hit the TPs.I thought the LTIIs were better clubs!

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I'm on the Taylor Made staff, so I use the TP's and really like the feel of them. I hae Rifle Project X shafts in them and they perform really well.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
No offence,but I hit the Tms with Rifles and they almost landed on the moon.They look good,feel good,just go to high for me.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
That is some set of sticks there, tmag !

I have to say that I prefer Rifles to DG shafts, although most Tour Pro's seem to prefer the latter.....

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I find myself getting a more boring flight with the rifles, although saying that, the last time I used DG shafts for any great length of time I wasn't as good a ball-striker. Still love the feel, and pretty much everything about Rifles, though...:)

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Depends on what flex in the Rifles you use, the 5.5 and lower have a mid to low kickpoint, when you get the 6.5 which is what I use, the kick point is much higher and the tip is firmer therefore a flatter flight.

Also, the Project X shafts are designed to launch with a high launch angle but then to flatten out as they reach their apex.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Andy_79 said:
That is some set of sticks there, tmag !

I have to say that I prefer Rifles to DG shafts, although most Tour Pro's seem to prefer the latter.....

Thanks, one of the nice perks of being on a playing staff is the free stuff.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.