• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Irons

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
Need some good advice. Its my 30th bday in August and wife is treating me to new set off irons. Had my mind all set on some Ping G5's. Read a few reviews and prices now i dont know which way to go. I know i need to hit them and intend to have a fitting a video session to help but need a starting point. I want a good set of game improvement irons and have £500-£600 to spend. I like so far calloway big bertha, nike slingshot os and taylormade os ii.

Cheers

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
Gotta go with Dave

Irons, IMO, are a personal preference.

I settled on the TM OS2s, after trying the Nike, Callaway X-18, and some Hogans. I just like the feel and look better than the others.

My second choice would have been the Callaways. The Nikes are just horrid to look at IMO, but my partner love the look and play. He went with the Nikes.

Tried some Mizuno 60s the other day...man those are sweet as well.

Also check around, as the prices have dropped on the OS2s since the new RACs are out. I gave $450.00 brand new, with rifle 5.5s ,for mine about three months ago. Saw some on Ebay new for around $389.

Try all you can before you buy. Nothing worse than buying and finding another set you love the next week.

OP
E

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
Thanks

I love the look of the nikes but not had a swing of any of them yet. My first choices are now the rac, slingshot and mx17. So had better find some demos!!!!!! Thanks again.

vincel

Nov 28, 2005
If you like the look of the Nikes go demo some. I did a demo of 4 major brand irons and being the hi handicapper that I am, I wanted the most forgiving club I could find. After about 3 different sessions of hitting clubs the choice was down to the nikes and the callaway BB. I didn't like the look of the nikes but I hit them so much better than any other clubs I had to buy a set. Go hit the nikes then decide.

OP
E

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
oh no

Im the same want the most forgiving i can get!! Bad news though back is shot and can hardly walk!! was going to american golf at weekend!! Went anyway and had a chat and a browse. Now ive seen the nikes in flesh not so sure!! Back to square 1. When back is better booked in for a fitting and see what happens.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I just got a new set of Ping G5's. I can only speak for myself but I've never hit irons this consistently good. I believe it has to do with being properly fitted and not just a good club. I've never had any other irons fitted this thoroughly and I'm extremely happy with them.

:)

OP
E

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
back on again.

only muscular and after painkillers, hot baths and heat rub feel alot better. Pro says he will do fitting watch my swing and then have a look at clubs of my choice and with a few i hadnt thought of. I cant wait heal me quick, damn you!! So far Ping g5, big bertha 06, rac os2, mx17 and slingshot 2.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Adam Pettman said:
I love the look of the mx17's and thats probably what I'd be playing if i had the money.

They have the mx17s on www.golfbuyitonline.co.uk for 250 pounds. That's quite a good price for them, so you might have the money for them? (10% commision to your agent if you buy them) ;)

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I play Ping G2 and am very happy with them, which I must agree might be attributed to the thourough fitting procedure. However, I did play some Nike (comps and slingshots) and was very impressed with the crisp sound of a well-struck ball. They were better than I had expected.

🔥 Latest posts