• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new irons?

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
hi all i gonna get some new irons this spring and i have been lookin at 4 diffrent sets. wonderin if anyone has used them and has any feed back. callaway x18,callaway ,big bertha 05,taylormade rac os or ht,ping g2. thanks for any info.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome aboard goatster!

You are going to have to provide a little information so our resident experts can assess your situation a little better.

How long have you been playing?

Do you have a handicap?

Budget?

I know Bravo likes a little more than that but it's a start.......Bravo?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
Welcome aboard goatster!

You are going to have to provide a little information so our resident experts can assess your situation a little better.

How long have you been playing?

Do you have a handicap?

Budget?

I know Bravo likes a little more than that but it's a start.......Bravo?

Welcome aboard - goatster....

OK - Slingy....

No more questions Your Honor.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Even though it's hard to tell you what you're looking for.....my best estimate based on the sets you gave was that you are looking for forgiving irons. In that case, i would say either the BB 05's, or, better yet, the ping g2's. You can be custom-fit by your ping dealer and buy them there, or find a set with your color code on ebay. JMO. Neal

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ya, tell us a little more about your game and i'm sure we can recommend some over others.

Keep in mind tho that testing out clubs is really the key. What works for one, sucks for another.

Welcome aboard!

R35

OP
goatster

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i dont have a usga handicap but on avg. im a bogey golfer maybe a little better.although like anybody i have my days when it all goes right and can shoot par or a couple over.i hit the ball higher than most but distance is not a problem.i hit a good 7 iron or a hard 8 150.normaly i go with the 7 unless im in a groove that day.
im a bigger guy about 5`11 or 6` and about 275.have been playing about 7 yrs.money wise i know most of the clubs ive mentioned run between $500 to $800 depending where i get them.
the set i have now are ram forula x titanium haeds that i bought about 7 years ago.although i replaced the graphite shafts with dynamic gold stiff steel shafts.the club builder that did it had played with me a few times and suggested that i use stiff shafts instead of reg. because of my size and swing speed.as far as the pings go and custom fitting i would have to look at there site and see if there are any dealers near me.i live in northern ny.
almost forgot prob. something that might help the most my iron shots are nomaly straight or have a minor draw.except long irons wich have graphite shatfs they tend to fade.hope some of this can help make an educated guess.any advice is appreiciated.i know its impossible to recommend something without seeing my swing.just hoping for some helpful insight.
thank you for all your help everybody

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
You sound like an fairly decent player, so may wann try someirons that are more geared towards shto making. I"m not talking blades (though if you can hit them they are the way to go IMO). Look at sets the are in between game improvement and players clubs. Like Cleveland CG2's, titleist 704 or 690cb's, if you can find them titleist 762 abd 762b's are great clubs. Taylordmade alos makes great stuff and they have a middle gournd iron as well. IMO Callaways are not the greatest I don tlike to look of them and they are far to offest or at least they appear to be at address. As a result I don't enjoy them at all also they tend to be on the more expensive end of things at least im my area.

I'm gonna tell you what everyoen here will tell you go demo everything. And I mean everything, there are way to many options out there not to.

PS. Ping is garbade the only thign they made well was teh TiSi and the TiSi tech drivers. SOem of their older irons sets were godo as well. Current Ping stuff is awful IMO.

Happy Hunting:D

OP
goatster

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
well the witch hunt is over thanks for advice all. i went out to Dick`s sunday mornin and hit TM LT2,TM HT,Callaway BB,and Callaway X18`s.

AND THE WINNER IS

Callaway X18`s

🔥 Latest posts