• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New member, need some suggestions/advice

BKScripto

Sep 14, 2009
Hey all, new member and first post here...

I started the great game of golf at the beginning of this summer. I bought a set of semi-used "test" Dunlop clubs off of Flea-Bay for around $90 with bag, just to get started. Didn't want to shed out to much money until I found out if I would like the game or not.

The last time I played 9 holes I shot a 53. The best I've shot is a 52 for 9 holes. I get to practice on the driving range about once every two weeks. I've been playing on the course around 3 times a month.

I'm having some issues that are getting frustrating out on the course. Hopefully someone can shed some light. I'm a total newbie to this stuff so bare with me, please.

My major issue is that I'm topping a lot of balls (hitting the top of the ball with the bottom of my club). I'm doing this a lot with my mid-irons, like 5-7. I don't use my 3 and 4 irons much at all, so not sure what the outcome would be. I am topping the ball with my fairway woods (3 and 5) as well. I always use my 3 wood off the tee and never seem to top the ball.

I use to have an issue with raising my head during my downswing, but I seem to have that more under control now...This was confirmed by friends watching my swing. They use to hound me for doing this :)

Now, I'm not sure what I need to do in order to correct this. The one thing that pops in mind and my friends keep saying is get fitted and buy custom clubs. I'm 6'1" and use normal off the shelf sized clubs...I've read that normal clubs are made for the average male that is 5'9".

Could this be a big factor in me topping a lot of balls? It seems logical but want to confirm before committing and buying new clubs.

Also, I don't want to drop a TON of money on clubs, which I know is easy to do. I don't want to spend a bunch since I'm not very good either.

If you need more info in order to answer my question, just let me know! Also, my other issue is a consistent slice but that's for another day :)

Thanks in advance!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Ah, you are just having the same problems, almost every begginer has.

the trick to quit topping.....look at how the pros have their head and arms, when that are about 3/4 of the way through the downswing..ie already hit the ball, and are heading to the finishing postion.

if you will force yourself to find that, you wont top. well, not so much anyway.

the other trick is to have a downswing trigger, I use a "push the grip end towards the ground" trigger, as soon as I feel the backswing wrist cock. OK, while I may sux at golf, this has cured topping, for the most part, and it was also the key to hitting hybrids. :)

like this:
awww.golfwrx.com_forums_uploads_monthly_05_2008_post_53018_1210594062_1.jpg

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Actually, IMO.. be damned proud of your 52. My first year playing was pretty much all 110's to 125's. And then next year......

I took some group lessons.

Very affordable, and it put me on the right track to improving my game, by giving me the basics.. stance, grip, etc, etc, etc... I suggest you do the same.

As far as clubs go, as I've recently found out....older quality clubs can really be had for dirt cheap nowadays...my Burner set which originally sold for close to $1200 in 99 are only gonna fetch me $150 now, and they are good clubs. Maybe not as forgiving as the newer ones now, but it goes to show that you can get a decent set for a reasonable price. Shop around.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Another good thought to help with topping the ball would be to imagine that the ball is sitting on a tee and you want to knock the tee out from under the ball. The feeling is that you are looking straight down "through the ball" to the ground and you want to strike the ground under the ball. You will actually hit the ball first but it's the feeling you are after. You'll most likely hit the ball "fat" a few times but, then you'll quickly get the hang of it from there.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I say move the ball back in your stance about the width of 1 ball. The most common problem for topping the ball with a fairway wood is hitting it on the upswing. This is what I am pretty sure is happening with your fairways and your mid/long irons. Move the ball back a little bit and hit down on them.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Make practice swings and really FEEL what your body is doing. You can keep your head still all day, but if your spine is moving away from the ball- i.e., you're "standing up" out of the shot, you'll hit it thin and top it all day.

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF HITTING THE GROUND.

You are SUPPOSED to hit the ground after you hit the ball. The club should hit the ball at a DOWNWARD angle- so that the clubhead itself sends the back of the ball (where you hit it) underneath the ball (backspin). The ball will move UP the clubface. That's how the ball gets airborne powerfully. Do not try to get UNDER the ball. Try to hit the back of the ball, then continue downward into the ground where the ball was sitting.

Off the rack clubs are much too long for the average male, in general. I'd say at 6'1" you're close to the ideal. I'd say anyone shorter than 6'0" should look at womens' length. And I think womens' standard length is RIDICULOUS for the average female height of 5'4".

Learn the correct impact position by chipping first, because chipping IS the hitting area of the swing. Then try to create more speed by adding length to the swing. You can play a pretty darn good round of golf hitting half-swing punch shots as long as you're hitting them solid.

Think, "Go down and get it" not "get under it." Go down and get it, and commit to making good contact.

And when you're doing practice swings, FEEL your body. You are probably standing up to swing the club under you faster. That won't work.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Xeno and I are telling you to do the same thing. His way of thinking about it may make better sense to you. I want you to hit down and through the ball as well.

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
FYI, if you noticed, nobody suggest you getting new clubs... thought it was worth noting, cuz it's not the answer. Take the swing advice, especially the post about chipping, and getting used to the soild contact; then working up to the full swing. Real good advice.

The topping is caused by trying to lift the ball. Just make sure you swing down on the ball... think down and thru... How you get to the ball is up to you, but again i suggest you start by focusing on the chipping to get used to solid contact.

Glad to have another golfer amidst the group....

A.

OP
B

BKScripto

Sep 14, 2009
Great advice, everyone. I will work on the things suggested and forget about new clubs for now.

I set up a lesson with for Friday, so we'll see if he can help me out with this issue.

Again, thanks for the advice!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online