• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Nike commercial

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Great video. I have no doubts that Tiger is more mentally tough than any other golfer in the world. That is what makes him the best now and arguably the best ever. At the end of the day though golf is just a game, nothing more than that.

As already pointed out there are millions of people that face real life challenges every day and are able to persevere because of their mental toughness.

JohnnyHabs

Just putting at night....
Mar 27, 2008
Kinda funny that a former elite Green Beret who did two full tours of duty in Vietnam is commenting that no one else is as mentally tough as Tiger is.......pretty bold statement, I guess he might know what he is talking about when it comes to people being tough! :laugh:

Hats off to Nike's marketing department for a masterpiece commercial.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I agree to some degree.

The point I am making is that this commercial is about a golfer and his Fathers influence on him, and how it relates to his life and golf game. To compare it to firemen, policemen and soldiers is way off base. I dont see a commercial for the fire department and say "pffft, those guys are shitty golfers though". Without sounding disrespectful to anyone who is a fireman or a cop, these jobs are readily available to most people. I would bet that any large number of men with a year of training could be firemen or cops. Soldiers its pretty much a matter of signing up and you are good to go. Now I am in no way saying that these jobs are less important in the grand scheme of things that playing golf for a living. I just honestly believe that making it to the pro's in golf is a hell of a lot more difficult. Love him or hate him Tiger is the best at what he does. A large part of it has to do with his Dad. This commercial points that out. To read more into and make outlandish comparisons serves no purpose imo.

Lyle, question: Does it bother you that this Father's Day commercial is for the sole purpose of selling Nike equipment and making more money, and that it wouldn't have even been thought up otherwise? Not trying to argue with you or anything, I'm just curious as to your feelings about that aspect of the commercial.

Actually, that's a good question for anybody wanting to respond on this thread.

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
Why do you think it's the sole purpose of the add is to sell Nike products? I would argue it's to promote the Nike image. Other than gear being warn in taped scenes not a single product was shown.

I'm not as gullible to believe that this was a total humanitarian thought on Nikes part but it is definitely in good taste. I hope it inspires parents out there to give all they can to help their children develop the skills and tools they need to succeed in life. I hope it helps sons/daughters to remember some of the sacrifices there parents made for them and reflect on special moments in their life with their parents. I know it did for me.

Good commercial. Nike does have some of the best marketing out there.

Thanks Lyle.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Why do you think it's the sole purpose of the add is to sell Nike products? I would argue it's to promote the Nike image. Other than gear being warn in taped scenes not a single product was shown.

I'm not as gullible to believe that this was a total humanitarian thought on Nikes part but it is definitely in good taste. I hope it inspires parents out there to give all they can to help their children develop the skills and tools they need to succeed in life. I hope it helps sons/daughters to remember some of the sacrifices there parents made for them and reflect on special moments in their life with their parents. I know it did for me.

Good commercial. Nike does have some of the best marketing out there.

Thanks Lyle.
Because Nike doesn't spend ANY money without planning on getting a positive return on it. They're a huge corporation, why would they? If you think otherwise, you are more gullible than you realize.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its a fantastic ad. It shamelessly uses the memory of his dad, and I applaud them for it, his dad was fundamental in Tiger's development and I couldn't care less whether or not its plugging towards fathers day, or whatever, its a great piece of work from a very clever company. Who cares what return they get from it? We don't live in a communist state do we?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Were it not for the controversy generated here, I doubt I'd think too much of the ad one way or the other if I had seen it on TV.

Pretty forgettable really.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Its a fantastic ad. It shamelessly uses the memory of his dad, and I applaud them for it, his dad was fundamental in Tiger's development and I couldn't care less whether or not its plugging towards fathers day, or whatever, its a great piece of work from a very clever company. Who cares what return they get from it? We don't live in a communist state do we?
Frankly, I don't care what return they get and I agree with your post, dave. I just think there are some here who don't see it for what it really is.

And yes, it's an extremely well done commercial. Nike should be proud of it.

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
I am about as cynical as they come, but somehow I was not thinking about firemen and soldiers when I saw the commercial. Nike made a little film. It is part art and part promotion. Inspiring to some maybe. I honestly did not think for a nanosecond about going out and buying a Nike driver.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Lyle, since you chose to call my comments rediculous and outlandish, I really don't care what you think.

I thought it was possible to have a difference of opinion without attempting to belittle the other person, but in your case, I guess I was wrong. If you place more value on a golfer than you do a soldier, then we have nothing in common.

Enjoy yourself, dude. From now on whenever I see your name on a post, I'm skipping it.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Lyle, since you chose to call my comments rediculous and outlandish, I really don't care what you think.

I thought it was possible to have a difference of opinion without attempting to belittle the other person, but in your case, I guess I was wrong. If you place more value on a golfer than you do a soldier, then we have nothing in common.

Enjoy yourself, dude. From now on whenever I see your name on a post, I'm skipping it.

Doc,

Did someone step on your Cocker Spaniel today? Lyle called your argument ridiculous, not you. And calling an argument ridiculous is not an attempt to belittle.

I think you are over reacting here. I've have seen a lot worse comments than Lyle's......

S-

kelvinsense

degen gambler
May 9, 2008
Just a side note;

Christmas, Valentine's day, Mother's Day, etc. etc. etc. Aren't all of these holidays now turned into mass "go buy a gift" days.

Great commercial. You could put a lot of different people in that spot (firemen, soldiers) and probably make it more emotional / touching.

🔥 Latest posts