• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Nike commercial

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
I agree about your comments about Nike being in it for a return but the previous post was about pushing products. This add did not push products. It works on more of a image/branding level. Which I think get’s more bang for buck. By not showing specific merchandise they are getting the audience to by in on what is Nike and by doing so elevating their status in peoples mind. This add has an emotional level that many people can relate to and plays on the father son relationship and more specifically about raising a athlete or being mentored by a father.

kelvinsense

degen gambler
May 9, 2008
I agree about your comments about Nike being in it for a return but the previous post was about pushing products. This add did not push products. It works on more of a image/branding level. Which I think get’s more bang for buck. By not showing specific merchandise they are getting the audience to by in on what is Nike and by doing so elevating their status in peoples mind. This add has an emotional level that many people can relate to and plays on the father son relationship and more specifically about raising a athlete or being mentored by a father.

love your post, it really shows that Nike is going for a more subtle marketing approach and becoming a brand that people like, instead of just screaming "MOI, 20 extra yards, etc etc".

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Lyle, question: Does it bother you that this Father's Day commercial is for the sole purpose of selling Nike equipment and making more money, and that it wouldn't have even been thought up otherwise? Not trying to argue with you or anything, I'm just curious as to your feelings about that aspect of the commercial.

Actually, that's a good question for anybody wanting to respond on this thread.

I read that Tiger had a big role in picking the pieces they used for this. he was involved in the whole process beginning to end. So Yes I am fine with it especially if he is.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Honestly, if it didn't say "Just Do it" at the end, I wouldn't know that was a Nike commercial.

To me, that commercial was made to honor a relationship a lot of people are familiar with in sports, but not intimately familiar with. I have absolutely no relationship with my dad on any worthwhile level, but I like seeing something like that. Gives you an answer to the question, "How did Tiger get so good?"

There may be plenty of reasons to hate Nike, but good lord... As soon as they do something that isn't what you hate them for, you accuse them of trying to hide doing what you hate them for. Catch 22?

Nike made it, but I didn't see them promote a single piece of merchandise in that ad. Was I not watching closely enough?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
LDoes it bother you that this Father's Day commercial is for the sole purpose of selling Nike equipment and making more money, and that it wouldn't have even been thought up otherwise?

Good question, see Poe's answer below.

Great observation!

I read that Tiger had a big role in picking the pieces they used for this. he was involved in the whole process beginning to end. So Yes I am fine with it especially if he is.

This ad would not have been made without Tiger's 100% complete consent and input. He has always credited his father for his successes and in his book / articles, he details a lot of these experiences with his dad, so there is nothing really new in the ad.

Tiger probably wanted to do something to remember his dad for Fathers Day. Sure he could have left some flowers privately at his grave. But the marketing people in Nike were clever. They probably played with the notion that this ad means a lot to everyone out there who has benefited (on any level) from a father / mentor relationship. And so Tiger gets what he wants from it and Nike get what they want from it.

I also agree that this is a brand level ad, as much for the Tiger Woods brand as well as Nikes. It is not selling a driver or a shirt. It is selling a story, a person, the phenom that is Tiger Woods. It gives an insight into something that clearly is not equipment related, but cleverly associates the person with the brand, ie this genius is part of Nike, Nike is part of him.

It is superb marketing and to be applauded. The mere fact that lots of folk (on here certainly) are talking about it speaks volumes.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Lyle, since you chose to call my comments rediculous and outlandish, I really don't care what you think.

I thought it was possible to have a difference of opinion without attempting to belittle the other person, but in your case, I guess I was wrong. If you place more value on a golfer than you do a soldier, then we have nothing in common.

Enjoy yourself, dude. From now on whenever I see your name on a post, I'm skipping it.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. No where did I say I place more value on a golfer than a soldier, or any other profession. However if you insist on dragging non related professions into a discussion about a golf commercial then so be it. This thread was about a specific commercial which happens to be about a golfer and his father. How, and better yet, WHY on earth you choose to attempt connect this ad and the importance of soldiers, firemen and policemen is absolutely beyond me. As for ignoring my posts. Is that suppose to hurt my feelings or something?

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
It's a nice sentiment, cleverly portrayed, and discreetly attatched to the Nike brand.
Smart marketing.

Does a better job of selling Tiger than Nike, though.

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
It's a nice sentiment, cleverly portrayed, and discreetly attatched to the Nike brand.
Smart marketing.

Does a better job of selling Tiger than Nike, though.

Haha, in selling Tiger, you sell Nike. (ever seen him without a swoosh?)

As far as no products being sold in this commercial, Nike is selling their brand, creating a positive aura around their goods. Its the same reason why, in schools, there are coke machines that sell only water. Sure, its Coke brand water, but by being exposed to the brand, having a positive relation to it, the kids reach for a coke later in their lives, without thinking anything of it.

Companies are smarter than one might think.

_skjay

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Haha, in selling Tiger, you sell Nike. (ever seen him without a swoosh?)

True, of course.

Though, personally, I've never felt swayed towards Nike by my being a fan of Tiger. I tend to think that he does well despite his Nike contract, though I have no basis for this.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the straight answer. You make a good point with your last statement.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Great advert to watch, fantastic sentiment behind the advert, clever marketing because it gets people talking.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If this was a Callaway ad about Phil, it wouldn't be 3, nearly 4, pages long.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Phil is lame. Doy.

As for the subliminal Nike stuff... I have to say it's ineffectual. I don't wear or buy much of anything Nike unless it's something genuinely nice. Most of the stuff I wear is Adidas by virtue of better pricing.

🔥 Latest posts