• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Ping "Forged" Irons

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Just found this on golftoimpress.com. WOW!

PING ANSER FORGED - A REVIVAL awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_02_ping_anser_forged_5iron.jpg

It looks like the revealing of the new Ping Anser Forged irons has cause a bit stir in the golfing world and on lot of golf enthusiast sites around the internet. After posting about the new iron last Friday, we decided to head back to the Japan Golf Fair on Saturday and Sunday and got to take more pictures of the Anser Forged, talk to Ping Japan about it and give it a whirl in the hitting bays.
FORGIVING FORGED CAVITY BACK...

The Ping Anser Forged Iron is in line with a typical mainstream release in the Japanese market with a focus on the average golfer wanting a forged iron. Clubs in Japan are typically more expensive than other parts of the world, and picky Japanese golfers are more than willing to put down their yen for the latest and greatest forged iron. I spoke to a couple of reps at the Ping booth and they explained that they did not want to classify the Anser forged as a players cavity or or game improvement iron. The concept is a premium forged iron that is easy to hit for all levels of players. Not compact like a players/athlete model but not overly large like a GI model, rather something right in between that could provide something for everyone.
PROGRESSIVE OFFSET...

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_02_ping_anser_forged_offset.jpgPhysically the Anser Forged is smaller than the Rapture and Rapture V2 which had a much wider sole and slightly thicker top line. It is more along the lines of the i15 in both size and shape. Ping has noted that the Anser Forged Iron uses progressive offset going from more to less as the irons get shorter. This creates more ease of use in the long irons, allowing the player to square the club face easier. The offset shrinks as the irons get shorter to focus on control and touch. This ease of use concept mixes automatic/point and shoot long irons made for distance with workable short irons to attack the pin.

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_02_ping_anser_forged_insides.jpgHOLLOW TUNGSTEN SOLE...

Ping uses a nickel Tungsten weight in the hollow sole to help place CG low and promote easy launch and a higher trajectory. The sole shape has flow reminiscent of the Ping Eye2 except of course with that tungsten weight sole. The back cavity features the elastomer Ping badge / Custom Tuning Port or CTP as it is known, which is to help on the Anser Forged with vibration and to add to the soft feel of the iron.
FORGED FROM 8620 CARBON STEEL

In Japan most forged irons are typically made of premium S20C steel or S25C steel and I had assumed this as well initially for the Anser Forged but was surprised to find out that Ping decided on 8260 Carbon Steel. Apparently 8620 Carbon steel is very close in physical properties to S25C Steel and share very similar density. Both can be forged to similar temperatures (S25C up to 2300F and 8620 up to 2200F). I can't recall using other Japan market clubs that were forged from 8620 so I was very curious as to how these would feel.
PRETTY GOOD FEEL...

I will stress again as I always stress on the blog about feel. It is completely subjective and there are many factors that affect the perceived "feel" of an iron. The quality of steel and forging process are only one part of the equation when it comes to feel. The design of the iron itself and the shaft it is paired with can have just as big an impact on how an iron feels. The Ping Anser Forged will be offered with Ping AWT and ZZ65 steel shafts as standard fare. The standard graphite shaft will be a TFC615i in Regular, Stiff/Regular and Stiff Flexes.
awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_02_ping_anser_forged_iron.jpgPing had on hand test irons with the Ping AWT shaft which are ascending weight as their name suggests. This is a good match for the Ping Anser Forged concept as the lighter weight and higher launching AWT long iron shafts fit the concept Ping is pushing with distance and forgivness in the long irons. The AWT gets heavier and launches lower as it gets shorter providing more control with the Anser Forged short irons, just as Ping designed the head to do. Hitting the AWT with Anser Forged was a pretty smooth combo. I am usually a graphite player so I love smooth and easy and the lighter weight softer flex AWT do fit the bill as they are under 100g.
Why CTP?

Overall pured shots were very soft feeling and credit Ping for not every using an undercut/pocket cavity in their irons as there is no clickiness to them. A couple of other testers asked the question why CTP if its a forged iron and the whole purpose of forged is soft feel in the first place, most likely with the concern that CTP may take feel away? The CTP is there to remove vibrations and supposedly enhance soft feel and while its tough to judge its affect in such a short time I would say they did a reasonable job on minimizing vibrations on off center hits. Whether they softened the feel its possible the feel actually becomes slightly muted by the CTP. Bottom line was this iron was pretty easy to hit. A nice smooth swing gave very rewarding sweet spot impact.
APRIL LAUNCH = HIGH DEMAND

So we are looking at an April launch for the Anser Forged and Ping has announced the MSRP both steel and graphite. As with most Japanese market premium forged irons, cost is not cheap especially with the Yen being so strong. Steel sets have a suggested retail of 1320.00 for 5-PW with graphite a 300.00 upgrade. We hope to price the set around the 1200.00 range for 5-PW with steel once we know what availability is like for us. As always with a hot demand product we would suggest pre-order otherwise you'll have to wait which is no fun considering for many these irons come out right at the start of the season. Look for the pre order in the pro shop soon!
In the mean time we added a few more pics including offset of the short irons which do look considerably better than the long ones.
<!-- Piclense link -->[View with PicLens]
<!-- Thumbnails -->awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc08552.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc08553.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc08554.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc08555.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc08560.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc08561.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_img_4441.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_img_4445.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_img_4446.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_img_4447.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc00466.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc00475.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc00477.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc00483.jpg

awww.golftoimpress.com_wp_content_gallery_ping_anser_forged_iron_thumbs_thumbs_dsc00487.jpg

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Too thick in the top line and too much offset. They can forge them all they like but when they look like ass as much as those do, I'll certainly never play 'em.

NEXT!!!

OP
MyBluC4

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Doesn't seem all that thick a top line. Seems similiar to their old ISI series or about the same as the old Tommy Armour 845's. They look pretty user friendly. I definitely look forward to giving them a try.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
They look clunky to me.. Like the same thing they already have, only it's stamped forged. The 8620 is what most people cast with anyways these days, like Scratch.

That 4 irons sole is HUGE.. on my clubs, it's got just enough width on each side of the "4" for maybe the width of a tip of a tee.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Japanese S25C and 8620 steels are virtually identical in use. My (former) company made gears for their Japanese division and just substituted 8620 for the S25C on the blueprints per my say so. The gear teeth core hardness came out correct and identical which is why you pick certain steels over others in gear making. The S25C has higher carbon then 8620 (.25% compared to .20% for 8620) bit 8620 has chromium and nickel which S25C does not. The S25C surface hardness might be slightly higher. What does this mean? The jominy hardenability is the same. Just giving you a "metallurgist's" view on this... :D

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Japanese S25C and 8620 steels are virtually identical in use. My (former) company made gears for their Japanese division and just substituted 8620 for the S25C on the blueprints per my say so. The gear teeth core hardness came out correct and identical which is why you pick certain steels over others in gear making. The S25C has higher carbon then 8620 (.25% compared to .20% for 8620) bit 8620 has chromium and nickel which S25C does not. The S25C surface hardness might be slightly higher. What does this mean? The jominy hardenability is the same. Just giving you a "metallurgist's" view on this... :D

I've heard that 1018, or their JIS, isn't used in Japan, but that S25C is the preffered metal for forging over there, that 1018 is WAY too soft, and what 1018 they have, is junk.

What thinks you? :)

OP
MyBluC4

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Spoke with a Ping to find out where these are forged. Here was the response: Forged in China, assembled in the U.S. and only sold in Japan. Target date for U.S. sales is November. Priced at $190 per stick. You can use the Ping fitting system for your set up as the Ansers are very close to the i15's. Very limited supplies, however, as reps will only be allocated 20 sets each.
Very expensive considering the forgings are not being done by a Japanese shop like Epon, but the claim is that the process is the same and quality is the same. Is anyone in Phoenix who can actually go to Ping and see these clubs?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've heard that 1018, or their JIS, isn't used in Japan, but that S25C is the preffered metal for forging over there, that 1018 is WAY too soft, and what 1018 they have, is junk.

What thinks you?

FATCITY

1018 is a plain carbon steel and they have almost identical chemistry steel in Japan. What makes it too soft is the 18 in the 1018. That is the carbon and .18% carbon compared to say 1025 (.25% carbon) will make a huge difference in the hardness. You couldn't tell 8620 (alloyed steel) from 1025 (plain carbon steel) in the same iron head. Neither could any pro. (The JIS is their standard for all grades as in; JIS 25C etc).

OP
MyBluC4

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
I assume the ball coming off the face wouldn't know the difference either. Is there a difference to the manufacturer in the milling of the grooves? I would assume not.

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
I am not happy that the spammer necrod this. I would love to get my hands on some new forged pings :(

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Theyre typical Pings: big, clunky, ugly and with a thick topline; but hey, at least they finally came out with a forged iron! Its just funny that for years Ping has said that cast is just as good as forged and now they have come out with a forged iron.
From what I understand, Ping designed these irons for the Japanese market, where people dont want anything but forged irons. In Japan, cast irons are viewed as being cheap and of inferior quality.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The low carbon steels 1025, 8620, S25C all machine like butter and would make no difference to the manufacturer. There is some price differences as the alloy steels (8620) cost a little more.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Too thick in the top line and too much offset. They can forge them all they like but when they look like ass as much as those do, I'll certainly never play 'em.

NEXT!!!

I agree with you and BM36, but Ping's target for this set isn't the Mizuno or Titleist blade player it's the long time Ping lover and this set will appeal too them, many old sets of ping's will be traded in against these. I personally think they look OK but nothing special. for the price I'd find something better, a regular playing partner of mine has just ordered a set to replace his i3's, they are costing him just short of £1000 ($1500usd), i'd rather have the Cally x Proto's for that money (and I'd get some change).

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I agree with you and BM36, but Ping's target for this set isn't the Mizuno or Titleist blade player it's the long time Ping lover and this set will appeal too them, many old sets of ping's will be traded in against these.
I disagree. The Ansers are Ping's attempt to get into a high-end forged iron market. It was a good attempt, but they need to come up with something that is more of a blade style iron. Theres plenty of forged cavity-back forged irons on the market that arent shovels.

🔥 Latest posts