• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New PING owner here, well, not really :D

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
So my Rapture irons (which I thought I would play for years to come) are up on the Bay for sale. After my fitting last friday on the trackman, it is clear that I was ballooning the irons and losing a ton of distance.

So, today, I just ordered a set of Ping G10 (4,5,6) / I10 (7,8,9,PW,UW) combo set with AWT steel shafts stiff flex.

Once I have some extra money, I will be reshafting with KBS Tour 90 PUREd shafts with possible MOI build.

Thanks.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Can't answer the question about pricing but I can give you a heads up on your combo set. I originally ordered a G10/i10 combo similar to yours and after playing for a while with them I just could never adjust to the vast difference between the G and i series. The split (mine was between the 5 and 6) was too much for me to take. I've subsequently gone to a i5/i10 combo and am thrilled. Funny thing is if you look at the specs for the new i15 set it is very similar to an i5/i10 combo with a split somewhere around the 6 or 7 iron.

Anyway, I certainly don't want this to come off as an attempt to piss on your parade.

Enjoy your new set!

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Can't answer the question about pricing but I can give you a heads up on your combo set. I originally ordered a G10/i10 combo similar to yours and after playing for a while with them I just could never adjust to the vast difference between the G and i series. The split (mine was between the 5 and 6) was too much for me to take. I've subsequently gone to a i5/i10 combo and am thrilled. Funny thing is if you look at the specs for the new i15 set it is very similar to an i5/i10 combo with a split somewhere around the 6 or 7 iron.

Anyway, I certainly don't want this to come off as an attempt to piss on your parade.

Enjoy your new set!

Chemboy, can you expand on the differences? was it the feel? distance gap? launch angles?

Thanks.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Chemboy, can you expand on the differences? was it the feel? distance gap? launch angles?

Thanks.

It was actually just appearance at address. I had a G5/i5 combo just like the G10/i10 and never had a problem (even carried a G2HL 4 iron with that combo). The G10 is a little bigger than the G5 and the i10 is smaller than the i5 so the appearance gap in the 10-series was considerably more than in the 5 series.

I know it was all mental but for whatever reason I just couldn't get passed it. I had some credit with cally pre-owned so when a good conditioned i5 popped up I grabbed for an experiment and my G10 4 and 5 irons have sat in my spare club bag in the garage ever since.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks for the reply Chemboy. In my case, since I've grown accustomed to the shovel like raptures, I should have no problem. :D

I just hope I don't have any significant distance gaps between the 6 and 7 irons.

Cally pre owned has non-cally items for sale? I had no idea. Where on the site can I find them?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Thanks for the reply Chemboy. In my case, since I've grown accustomed to the shovel like raptures, I should have no problem. :D

I just hope I don't have any significant distance gaps between the 6 and 7 irons.

Cally pre owned has non-cally items for sale? I had no idea. Where on the site can I find them?

I wouldn't worry too much about distance gap between 6 and 7 assuming you ordered with the set with the same shafts. The lofts are identical between the G and i series.

As for Cally preowned, to the right just under their navigation bar of "driver, hybrids, etc" there is a link to "other brands." They usually have a good selection drivers, fairway/hybrids, iron sets, individual irons, and wedges by Cleveland, Cobra, Hogan, Ping, Mizuno, Nike, Taylormade, and Titleist.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.