• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NEW Shaft Concept - Input requested

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
The question I have here is about introducing a new product to the marketplace....and I need input to help me decide if I wanna do it or not.

GOOD FACTS
This is a golf shaft we have tested on all handicap levels and found an increase or 15-30% or more distance (really)....without changing the players desired trajectory.....in other words, it is just not a softer flex....It's stronger.. but doesn't feel it.

My average distance is in the 240 range...and with this shaft I hit 280-310 repeatedly....we have a guy with arthritis who averages 200 yards and with this shaft was getting 230-240 on every drive. We have a club member who is a 3 handicap and averages 280 a drive and found with this shaft getting way over 300 yards.. Results have been absolutely amazing.

I can see retail cost on these shafts to be around the $50 range.

BAD FACTS
The wall thickness at the tip is very thin and the weave is such that it can easily be crushed when put in a clamp for re shafting.

In other words, we created a shaft that puts out an enormous amount of energy/force, but on the flip side, cannot take excessive external pressure.

During normal use and transit, the shaft is fine...it has been with one player who's swing speed has been clocked at 114mph for well over three months, in play daily, without issue. But should he decide to put the shaft in another head, he would most likely destroy it.

So is this a concept worth bringing to the public? Or would this be a marketing and guaranteeing nightmare?

Thoughts????

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Well a 10% increase in distance is going to make people sit up and take notice and they will want to try it out for sure. No worries on that front.

How to solve the fragility issue is another matter. The obvious thing would seem to be going the R9/910 route so that clamps, vices etc are not part of the equation but that obviously means you can't put the damned thing into a head.

Perhaps there may be some way of dealing with it via the cost. $50 strikes me as being very cheap for a shaft. If somebody wants to change heads you could send them a new shaft gratis to be inserted into the desired head and have the old one returned to you. Upping the initial cost to say, $80 (depending on how many are likely to be swapped between heads...have no idea if you are aware of what the percentage of that is or if it can be estimated to any meaningful degree of accuracy) could offset those instances where you lose out with the free offer.

Just thinking aloud really, I'm not a clubmaker but I guess you need ideas and that is the best I can do right now. It's a tricky one but I am sure there would be a market for your shaft to start off with. The technical issues I can't comment upon but if my idea is ridiculous at least it might open a gateway to a less terrible notion.

OP
indacup

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Stant, thanks for that input....I had not thought of that approach...hmmm

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The cost for that shaft if it performs as stated is low. I would pay that price for a new shaft even knowing that I could not put it into another head. I may be an exception though as I used to tinker alot and have a pretty good idea of what heads I like and don't-so finding a winning combo would be no biggie.

That being said, I think a STRONGLY worded warning and no gurantee is the way to go. You know that even if you tell people it will break if you try to reshaft, they will still do it. WHy should your company be on the hook for people who can't read and follow directions?

I know you can't say that to people and most likely will have to offer some sort of gurantee-maybe 1/2 the cost of a new shaft if you try to reshaft anyway?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm with bigjim (spiritually). Fifty bucks is nothing for that kind of performance. Do the installs yourself in house, charge 70 total for shaft plus install plus return shipping (at least), and make it clear before anything is settled that the shaft probably can't survive reinstallation to another head. All this means to me is that I need to buy another club head!

Hey I got that 919thi back by the way.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
Sign me up. Id fork over $70 in a heart beat for that kind of performance, even if it was a one install only. Throw it in a G15 and no worries!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I need a new shaft for my R9. I would bag this in a minute, in fact I would be happy to be a guinea pig AND pay!! How's that for an offer?

Stanter's idea is bang on. Only thing is to work at a series of adaptors for Nike, Titliest and TM. But that would enable users to reshaft with little to no risk.
M

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
If you guys throw them on adapters that would be awesome.
I'd likely buy one if there was an i-mix adapter.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I've got a FT Tour head sitting here with nothing in it. I'd happily be a guinea pig (I'd pay, of course) and grab an Okato at the same time to make shipping worthwhile.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I've got a FT Tour head sitting here with nothing in it. I'd happily be a guinea pig (I'd pay, of course) and grab an Okato at the same time to make shipping worthwhile.

I have wanted to get an Okato as well. If you go ahead with the business, let me know and we can ship together.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have wanted to get an Okato as well. If you go ahead with the business, let me know and we can ship together.

+1, I won a Okato but never sent you you the head, I've also go a Brigdestone J33 in need of a shaft. Work out a package deal if you can?

OP
indacup

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
+1, I won a Okato but never sent you you the head, I've also go a Brigdestone J33 in need of a shaft. Work out a package deal if you can?
You KNOW We can work out something! But no guarantee on the "unamed shaft" prototype!

🔥 Latest posts