• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New shaft for driver?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
OK, I know I'll get a bunch of different answers on this one, but.............. I'm about to have a stiff shaft put in my HiBore XL driver. I don't want to spend a small fortune but I do want a good shaft so what would ya'll suggest? My swing speed is 103-105 and I tend to hit a slice with the OEM regular shaft that came in it. My tragectory is fairly high right now with my distance being around 280 on a good straight hit.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
OK, I know I'll get a bunch of different answers on this one, but.............. I'm about to have a stiff shaft put in my HiBore XL driver. I don't want to spend a small fortune but I do want a good shaft so what would ya'll suggest? My swing speed is 103-105 and I tend to hit a slice with the OEM regular shaft that came in it. My tragectory is fairly high right now with my distance being around 280 on a good straight hit.

75g UST ProForce V2.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa

First thing I'd do is go to a pro and have him look at your swing...someone with your swing speed, hitting a R-flex shaft should NOT be hitting slices.

If you were to have ANY accuracy issues, you should be pulling or even hooking the shots.

Currently, going to a stiffer or stouter shaft will only amplify your mis-hits.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
First thing I'd do is go to a pro and have him look at your swing...someone with your swing speed, hitting a R-flex shaft should NOT be hitting slices.

If you were to have ANY accuracy issues, you should be pulling or even hooking the shots.

Not to question your obviously superior knowledge, but if I had an R-flex shaft that had a soft tip, and swung 105mph, wouldn't my ball flight be erratic, and include snap hooks and slices?

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Not to question your obviously superior knowledge, but if I had an R-flex shaft that had a soft tip, and swung 105mph, wouldn't my ball flight be erratic, and include snap hooks and slices?

I swing right at about 100 and tried that Hi Bore XL in Regular and snap hooked everything.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005

and the normal XL probably has a closed face to offset the slice I would think. Sounds like a swing flaw.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
You said you will get lots of different opinions.ya did,didn't you?lol Go to a fitter you trust and if you are really serious about finding the 'one' for you,spend the whole day getting the right one.All said and done fellow forum people don't take offense to your suggestions but would you not do the same?:)

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
OK, I played today, it was a lovely 66* BTW, but I had one thought on my drives today, throttle back to a 3/4 speed swing. Low and behold, I was hitting almost every fairway, Granted, I was losing distance, but no slice. I give up!!! Lol

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, I finally got to Edwin Watts and got on the Swing Speed monitor. My average swing speed was 98 mph. I swung my HiBore XL 10.5* with it's regular flex OEM shaft and a Titelist 907 9.5* with a NV stiff flex. I was hitting the stiff straight as an arrow, but not getting enough loft out of the 9.5 so I guess I'm getting a stiff put on my Hibore XL 10.5. Now I've just got to decide which one?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have the same miss with a shaft that is too soft, too low. Basically I hit blocked shot with a slice tail, high and right with more of a "swingers" shaft. I've had a few dozen and it's the same result with every one.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and whether you "have" to get a new shaft or a pull would do. Right off the bat I'm thinking a) the NV green new or b) VS proto used. The V2 76 would not be a bad choice but the 67 would not. There are plenty of options out there and I'd say look into something with a stiffer tip section and a mid/high bendpoint.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Maybe I just totally suck but I really can't tell a whole lot of difference between shafts at this point in my game. Most of my clubs are R flex & my drives tend to be either straight down the middle or a bit left. But I also have a 5w with a stiff shaft which I hit perfectly straight as well. For me it's all about how I address the ball & whether I open or close the club face a bit. My swing speed it like a girls, mid 90's at best but it works for me.

Good luck on your eternal search for the perfect shaft.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
One of problems I see is too many 15-19 handicaps using stiff shafts.Not impressive to watch ball take off low and,(for right hander) right.S65 shafts are for players who can generate club head speed not for bragging rights.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
What's the 15-19 handicap got to do with club head speed and stiff shafts? High handicap does not equal slow club head speed. Just inaccuracy mostly. :)

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
What's the 15-19 handicap got to do with club head speed and stiff shafts? High handicap does not equal slow club head speed. Just inaccuracy mostly. :)
Someone who buys a driver with a stiff shaft is doing so because he thinks he can hit it.Ego is the number 1 seller of golf equipment ever.You know anyone who has bought a stiff shaft when they know they don't need one?High handicap put together with stiff shaft equals,"look what I bought guys"!Hear it every day as well as the handicap staying the same for 10 years or until they run out patience or $$$,what ever comes first:laugh:

🔥 Latest posts