• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New shafts question

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I am curious whether anyone else has experienced this, or whether the clubmakers in the group have an answer.

I have a set of forged Tommy Armour 845 V-25 irons. They originally came with TT S300 shafts. I felt that I lost a little too much distance with this combo, so I re-shafted the 6-iron a couple of times, trying to find the right combination of ball-flight, feel, and distance. I ended up loving the Dynalite Gold R300. Great feel and the consistent (higher-trajectory) ball-flight and distance I was looking for.

So I just had my other irons 5-PW reshafted with Dynalite Gold R300s.

All of the other irons are now about the right distance and ball-flight, but much more jarring on off-center hits. This was not a problem with the S300 shafts, as the feel on an off-center hit was a much more "muted thud" than a "jarring whack". And the 6-iron still feels much less jarring than the other irons. Why is this? Something to do with the way the shafts were epoxied in? Or maybe the 6-iron shaft is splined correctly, and the other irons aren't (I'm not sure I believe in splining, vis-a-vis steel shafts).

Or is it even a problem? Should I be happy that I'm getting this kind of feedback? The hit feels great when I hit the ball in the sweet spot. And the irons are doing what I want them to do, performance-wise. Problem is, I don't hit that dime-sized spot on these clubs all the time. I'm afraid I may end up with elbow problems.

Should I re-shaft them with the Dynalite Gold R300 Sensicore shafts? Or keep learning to hit the sweet spot better.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
While it is possible that the 6 iron is more correctly aligned in terms of "Spine" and producing a slightly better feel, if it is a dramatic difference in feel it is probably something else. I do believe in spine alignement and it is actually more pronounced in steel shafts than in graphite shafts, but I am thinking that it may have to do with a possible difference in tip trimming. Since you reshafted your 6 iron at a different time than the remainder of your set, you may have tip trimmed at different increments which would definitely affect the feel from the set vs. the 6 iron as the flex/frequency of the shaft will be different.

As far as the difference between the Dynalite Golds and Dynamic Golds, the Dynamic Golds are a high bend/flex point where the Dynalite Golds are a low flex/bend point. The Dynalite head is going to be a bit more active which helps increase your trajectory, but off center hits are more likely to displace the head further than with a high bend/flex point shaft. That additional displacement results in a more pronounce feel and accounts for the different sound.

Is there a noticable distance gap between your 5 and 6 iron or your 6 and 7 irons that is smaller/larger than the distance gaps between your other irons?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Eracer said:
(I'm not sure I believe in splining, vis-a-vis steel shafts).

Just to throw fuel on the fire, steel shafts are what you would want to get spined. Graphite shafts of today are hundreds of times better than what they were a few years ago. However, rolled steel shafts still have the same seams in them as they always have. I'd rather have my steel shafts pured as opposed to my graphite.

But I don't beleive in puring. :D

As for your shafts, sounds like you just need a little range time. However, I will say that when I changed my DG's out for FCM Rifles, I've yet to get a hand jarring hit out of any of my irons. The dampening effect in them seems to be much better. Take that for what it's worth.

DG makes great shafts. I haven't hit the DL's specifically, but I don't imagine that it's the shaft all that much, especially after you've said that on pured shots they're fine. Maybe you just need to dial in the sweet spot a bit more.

Swing easier, you'll find that spot faster, even if it means clubbing up for a while.

R35

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Rock - I agree that "the swing's the thing" and that I need to work on centerness of hit. Oddly enough, I find that I make better contact when I swing more a bit aggressively with a more lofted club. I don't know if I try to "over-control" the club when I swing "easier" with a more-lofted club. I just find that my results aren't as good.

Tim, I did look at how much shaft protrudes from the hosel on both the 6 and 7-irons. It looks like there is more shaft tip (about 1/4") above the hosel on the 6-iron. Maybe the 6-iron has a bit more tip flex. Thanks for the thought about the head flexing a bit more. I hadn't thought of that, although I'm still not sure why the Dynamic Gold S300's (being stiffer overall) would have felt "softer" than the Dynalite R300's.

Thanks to both about the spining (not splining) thoughts.

I'll work on improving my swing and see how it goes.

BTW - the distances are spot on for the clubs. Average 10 yards between all clubs.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Rockford35 said:
As for your shafts, sounds like you just need a little range time. However, I will say that when I changed my DG's out for FCM Rifles, I've yet to get a hand jarring hit out of any of my irons. The dampening effect in them seems to be much better. Take that for what it's worth.

R35

I agree with that statement. The Rifles definitely have a better feel (at least for me) than the DG's. While they do not dampen vibrations quite as good as graphite shafts, there is a definite improvement over a stepped shaft. I just wish they did not cost 50% more than DG's. I have not made a club for myself in a long time that did not have a Rifle shaft in it. (OK, one exception, I built a set of hybrids that had a .350 hosel and put some DG S300's in them but I just traded them to a co-workerfor a set of Titleist DCI 990's that I am trading in for a gift certificate at TGW so technically they were not for me :D)

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
ualtim said:
The Rifles definitely have a better feel (at least for me) than the DG's. While they do not dampen vibrations quite as good as graphite shafts, there is a definite improvement over a stepped shaft. I just wish they did not cost 50% more than DG's.

Funny, I tried a Rifle 5.5 in the 6-iron before I went with the Dynalite, and I didn't like it at all.

Maybe I should have just gone with TT-Lites - LOL.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I have an alternative theory.

Shafts deteriorate over time,and Those Tommys can't be that new.It just sounds like the old shafts you had were just way past their prime,and the newer shafts are just spanking new and at their peak.

Same effect changing your tyres on a race car,you just go faster.............................

I think everyone should reshaft every 3 seasons or so,but few do.Plus you shoudl have you loft and lies checked periodically with forged irons.My PW was checked recently and its crept to 50 degrees.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
dave. said:
I have an alternative theory.

Shafts deteriorate over time,and Those Tommys can't be that new.It just sounds like the old shafts you had were just way past their prime,and the newer shafts are just spanking new and at their peak.

Same effect changing your tyres on a race car,you just go faster.............................

I think everyone should reshaft every 3 seasons or so,but few do.Plus you shoudl have you loft and lies checked periodically with forged irons.My PW was checked recently and its crept to 50 degrees.

Good thought Dave, but I bought the Tommy's brand-spanking new. Granted, they are a few years old, but they were never hit.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Eracer said:
Funny, I tried a Rifle 5.5 in the 6-iron before I went with the Dynalite, and I didn't like it at all.

Maybe I should have just gone with TT-Lites - LOL.

Unfortunately, if the Dynalite Golds fit your swing, you would have to go down to a Rifle 4.5 to get the higher launch characteristics like the Dynalites or into the Rifle Airlites. RP moves the bend/flex point as the shaft flex stiffens in the standard Rifle line.

Sounds like your happy with the DLG's, so at least you saved 50% per shaft.:)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Another option if you liked the feel of the DG is to go with DG Superlite. It's the same playing characteristics (bend points etc) just in a lighter shaft. I have them in my MP-60s, and while noticebaly lighter than the DG S300's I used to play, I have gotten accustomed to them and enjoy them very much.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Eracer said:
Good thought Dave, but I bought the Tommy's brand-spanking new. Granted, they are a few years old, but they were never hit.

Hmmm,I'm not so sure.I bought my Muirfields brand new,but they are still 15 years old and I was advised to change the shafts.Seems strange,I agree with you,just a thought though.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
VtDivot said:
Another option if you liked the feel of the DG is to go with DG Superlite. It's the same playing characteristics (bend points etc) just in a lighter shaft. I have them in my MP-60s, and while noticebaly lighter than the DG S300's I used to play, I have gotten accustomed to them and enjoy them very much.

I tried the Dynalite SL. Didn't make the cut. Came in 2nd, though.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
ualtim said:
Unfortunately, if the Dynalite Golds fit your swing, you would have to go down to a Rifle 4.5 to get the higher launch characteristics like the Dynalites or into the Rifle Airlites. RP moves the bend/flex point as the shaft flex stiffens in the standard Rifle line.

Sounds like your happy with the DLG's, so at least you saved 50% per shaft.:)

Amen. If I'm just not dedicated or talented enough to play the V-25's with the DG shafts, I can always troll eBay for a set of Big Bertha's with RCH-graphites. LOL.

Really, I LOVE these irons. Mishits don't go off line (unless they're really bad, which I don't do much anymore) and they don't lose much distance. I just need to work on hitting the sweet spot more often, so I feel the "butter". If not, it's DG's w/Sensicore.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Eracer said:
I tried the Dynalite SL. Didn't make the cut. Came in 2nd, though.

Dynalite and Dynamic Gold SL are 2 totally different animals. Maybe you mean Dynamic Gold SL not Dynalite SL, if so I'm glad to hear that they came in 2nd :D

🔥 Latest posts