• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Sticks

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Is looking increasingly more likely that I'll be opting for a set of Mizuno MP60's with one inch longer than standard, two degrees upright in lie, one or two extra layers of tape, with Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips, and Rifle Flighted 6.5's.

Not 100%, but have been trying out a couple of different clubs over the past couple of days and these suit me very well. Will be down to Scratch this year with these babies, believe me :D

Tried the MP32's, and although they're nice, I prefer the less pointed edges of the newer (and smarter) MP60's.

Tried DG Lite X100's and although I like them, nothing feels and plays (IMHO) like rifle shafts, so reckers I'll just stick with them.

Now just to get those nice folk at Mizuno on the olf dog & bone and see what sort of a deal they'll cut for me........:D :)

:miz:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Andy_79 said:
Not 100%, but have been trying out a couple of different clubs over the past couple of days and these suit me very well. Will be down to Scratch this year with these babies, believe me :D

Is that like +5 over here ???? ;)

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
It would be near that alright, mate - no doubt, whatsoever ;)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
VtDivot said:
Is that like +5 over here ???? ;)

POW! :biglol:

Those are some nice sticks Andy. If I were a better player they'd be tops on my list.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would hit the MP60's everytime I go to a golf store. I was really hoping the airlines would lose my i3+'s on the way back from Orlando, No such luck!

I guess it is back to dreaming, because I won't get another chance with the airlines for a while.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Were you at the World Golf Show thing, mate ? Couple of mates of mine were at it there. Would love to go to that some year. In fact, I just wanna go to Florida full stop !!

95% sure I am gonna get these sticks. Liking the shape better than the MP32's, me thinks. Gonna stay with Rifle shafts - much prefer them..:)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Andy_79 said:
Were you at the World Golf Show thing, mate ? Couple of mates of mine were at it there. Would love to go to that some year. In fact, I just wanna go to Florida full stop !!

95% sure I am gonna get these sticks. Liking the shape better than the MP32's, me thinks. Gonna stay with Rifle shafts - much prefer them..:)
Missed it by a couple days. We flew in Wednesday, it had ended Sunday. If you go, book times a bit in advance. My wife went down there for work and I went along and figured it would not be a problem to get times once I got down there. Got in Wednesday, Tried to get times for Thursday and had problems. Scheduled for Friday, but had heavy downpours so the course closed. Played Saturday and Sunday on courses a little outside of Orlando. It didn't turn out quite like I expected, but I will know for the next time if we go down again. We were in Arizona in November, I think I would opt for Arizona, or Myrtle Beach over Florida. Personally, I found the people in Florida to be pretty nice, but I found about 90% of the people in most of the comercial establishment to be a bit rude. It was pretty amazing. I grew up in the military, and have been through every state in the US but Hawaii and Alaska, so I have been to or lived around alot of the major cities and live in tourist area myself. You see that every now and then, but I have never seen it to that high of a majority. My wife and I may not go down there unless it is part of business. The 10% that were nice, were extremely nice, were mainly at the 2 courses we played, Universal Studios and at Grand Cypress, which for that price, it is something you would expect.

Maybe just bad luck on our part.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
...I found the people in Florida to be pretty nice, but I found about 90% of the people in most of the comercial establishment to be a bit rude.

I've lived in Florida for 20 years now (originally from Wisconsin), and unfortunately, I see the rudeness you described every day. I'm not a psychologist (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...) so I don't know if my insights are valid, but:

I think that many of the people who have moved to Florida have a "this is mine" mentality. By that I mean they just don't want anyone else intruding on their good fortune. "I was here first, but its crowded now, so why don't you just go home" seems to be the mantra of a lot of people here. Florida's population is mostly immigrant, and we have an identity crisis because of it. New York, San Francisco, even Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles, all have very unique identities. Can anyone tell me what Tampa's identity really is? Miami and Orlando have identities; Miami's (except for South Beach) is of a place where a bunch of Cubans and Old People from up north moved. Orlando is Disney World.

Around Orlando, especially, you see some cold, rude people. I think it's because they don't have to form any kind of a relationship with people. Everyone's a tourist. Give us your money, then go away. You'll be back, since the kids will make you come back. Mickey is the king of their world.

There are still plenty of towns in Florida where you can find warm and genuine people. It's just that Florida is growing so fast that there is a palpable stress here. The roads are getting jammed, the low cost of living is starting to rise rapidly, and people are just getting meaner.

I'm trying to predict which currently uncrowded state will benefit most from global warming. And move there now. Maybe Arkansas.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Eracer said:
Around Orlando, especially, you see some cold, rude people. I think it's because they don't have to form any kind of a relationship with people. Everyone's a tourist. Give us your money, then go away. You'll be back, since the kids will make you come back. Mickey is the king of their world.
What you mentioned is exactly the impression I got while there. What you mentioned above is something I almost mentioned, but having chosen not to have kids, decided not too. I kinda figured if I had to deal with kids all day, I may be grouchy as well. This probably explains why the Golf Courses, Grand Cypress and Universal where the nice ones. You figure the golf courses are mainly for the adults and there are other places that service the same needs. Grand Cypress is mainly for business clients and no question they need to maintain their standards. Universal and Disney, well they have to keep the kids and parents happy or Mickey will no longer be King.

You actually see a quite a bit of that up our direction. We moved from down by Philadelphia to the Poconos, and this area is a resort area. I think you see alot of the same mentality, although I also think it is not as apparent simply because it is one of the fastest growing areas in the US for Commuters going to NJ and NYC, so in the 3 years we have been here, I think the majority of the population is leaning towards the "Invaders", that and the local population seems to be selling off and moving to less populated areas. I guess when they see that their housing values are 10 fold of when they purchased, they learn to live with the consequences. This area is also not as comercially developed, if it were, it may be the same as Orlando. Up here the Golf Courses and Resorts are the main commercial attractions, where people come to get away for the comercial areas. So in 2-5 years after it is more developed, it may be no different, or hopefully because all of the staff may be of the "Invading" nature, it may be O.K.. I do know now that we have been here 3 years and are a little more recognizable, we recieve a little better treatment. On the flip side, I try to use self check-outs and usually only eat out at a couple of place that are nicer, or go to NJ or Allentown to avoid the hassle.

Probably the reason I would opt for Arizona and Myrtle Beach. I don't have kids dragging me around on a leash. I was just surprised to find comercial establishments that cared less than the ones in my neck of the woods. I will say that once you cross the Mississippi River, it changes drastically. So Arkansas may work. When we go out to KS to visit my wifes family, you cross the MS river and to into a fast food place, the Manager comes to the table to ask how everything is and if you need anything. You kinda feel like they are invading your territory by being so nice.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
There is something magical about Disney though. I can't wait until my little guy is old enough. We'll prob go every other year.

Since when did everyone become such a cynic anyways?

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Interesting points, folks.

A big objective of mine is to visit both NYC & Florida / Orlando, and I would say nothing will put me off wanting to go to these places. Never been to the States before, but am desperately wishing to.

Mate that was at the World Golf Show was telling me that heaps of both cheese & mayo is served with near enough every meal. Sounds damn good to me.....! Lol.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Andy_79 said:
A big objective of mine is to visit both NYC & Florida / Orlando, and I would say nothing will put me off wanting to go to these places. Never been to the States before, but am desperately wishing to.
Just please do us a favor and do not base your opinion of the people of the USA on NYC or Orlando, it may be hard to overcome.;)

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Eracer said:
I've lived in Florida for 20 years now (originally from Wisconsin), and unfortunately, I see the rudeness you described every day. I'm not a psychologist (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...) so I don't know if my insights are valid, but:

I think that many of the people who have moved to Florida have a "this is mine" mentality. By that I mean they just don't want anyone else intruding on their good fortune. "I was here first, but its crowded now, so why don't you just go home" seems to be the mantra of a lot of people here. Florida's population is mostly immigrant, and we have an identity crisis because of it. New York, San Francisco, even Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles, all have very unique identities. Can anyone tell me what Tampa's identity really is? Miami and Orlando have identities; Miami's (except for South Beach) is of a place where a bunch of Cubans and Old People from up north moved. Orlando is Disney World.

There are still plenty of towns in Florida where you can find warm and genuine people. It's just that Florida is growing so fast that there is a palpable stress here. The roads are getting jammed, the low cost of living is starting to rise rapidly, and people are just getting meaner.

I'm trying to predict which currently uncrowded state will benefit most from global warming. And move there now. Maybe Arkansas.

Post of the Month. Well done! :)

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Just please do us a favor and do not base your opinion of the people of the USA on NYC or Orlando, it may be hard to overcome.;)

I have met many from New York, and so I know what you're talking about. lol

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
You should get a nice AZ girl to show you around. Talk about improving foreign relations! :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online