• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New TA3 845s (now the 718 AP3 thread)

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Taken from the classifieds:

New Tommy Armour 845’s coming out soon. Dick’s house brand now.
Holy crap I just noticed this and have to admit I am very intrigued.

Loft comparison:
old 3 = 21 degrees.
old 4 = 24.5
old 5 = 28 new 22
old 6 = 32 new 25
old 7 = 36 new 29
old 8 = 40 new 33
old 9 = 44 new 38
old P = 48 new 43.5
old A = 52 new 49

A new 7 iron is the old 5 iron. People reviewing it are all like "I gained so much distance" no you didn't dipshit. Also the lies are a little more upright from the old ones. I'd basically have to relearn my yardages, but I guess I'd have to do that with any new set...

$450 brand new....

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Basically a club and a half stronger. FWIW Tiger still plays a 49° PW...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
These are the lofts on the new Titleist T400s:
5i 20°
6i 23°
7i 26°
8i 29°
9i 33°
PW 38°
W1 43°
W2 49°
W3 55°
Titleist T400 Irons | Titleist T-Series | Titleist Irons
38 deg Pitching Wedge.o_O
Two gap wedges. o_O

That is just plain insane. If you start that list with a 3 iron as the 20 deg club, you have a normal set of irons from the 80’s. I blame this all on ego/shady marketing practices. Folks that walk into a big box retailer with a hitting bay and buy irons based on how far they hit the 7 iron. OEM’s figured it out and started jacking lofts to keep market share. Pretty soon the only clubs available will be a set of 8 wedges...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Two gap wedges. o_O

That is just plain insane. If you start that list with a 3 iron as the 20 deg club, you have a normal set of irons from the 80’s. I blame this all on ego/shady marketing practices. Folks that walk into a big box retailer with a hitting bay and buy irons based on how far they hit the 7 iron. OEM’s figured it out and started jacking lofts to keep market share. Pretty soon the only clubs available will be a set of 8 wedges...

I hit my sand wedge 180 yards!!! I can't score for shit, but who cares!!!

EDIT: Ignorant consumers **** everything up. Look at the tool and car industry. 'Give me cheap and full of electronics, I don't care how long it lasts at all. '

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Yeah the numbers don't mean shit to me, a loft is a loft. I'm just curious if technology really has improved how the ball comes off the face, especially on a miss-hit. Seems like there has to have been some improvement from my 845s ca. 1994 to 845s ca. 2020... right?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Yeah the numbers don't mean shit to me, a loft is a loft. I'm just curious if technology really has improved how the ball comes off the face, especially on a miss-hit. Seems like there has to have been some improvement from my 845s ca. 1994 to 845s ca. 2020... right?

Only one way to find out for sure. Hit them side by side.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Manufacturer's should either put just the lofts on the club, or the loft larger with the iron number below it, smaller.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Manufacturer's should either put just the lofts on the club, or the loft larger with the iron number below it, smaller.
The original 845s have it on the face. The new ones don't.

images

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Two gap wedges. o_O

I'd have to write the legitimate iron number on them with a sharpie.

Last edited:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I am not a big proponent of the USGA and R&A when it comes to adding new rules on clubs, but it may be time for them to start regulating what number you can stamp on a club. Set a range of lofts you can stamp PW on (say 49 through 46 degrees) and go on from there. In addition, the loft has to be marked on the club as well so the average consumer knows what they are looking at when comparing different clubs.

With those Titleist lofts, their 5 iron is two degrees stronger lofted than my 4 hybrid equivalent. It is also only 5 degrees different than a standard 3 Wood loft leaving only 2.5 degree loft differences if you try to put a club in between them. Considering most folks have trouble hitting 21 degree 3 irons, how many golfers are going to be able to hit a 20 degree 5 iron? If I were forced to play that set, the highest iron I my bag would be the 7 iron and would be carrying 5 wedges. My bag would consist of Driver, 3W, 2 Hybrids, 3 irons, and 5 wedges; that’s just not right.

🔥 Latest posts