• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New TA3 845s (now the 718 AP3 thread)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Early 90's, Ping had just come out with their Eye 2+. Lofts were jacked a couple degrees over the Eye 2's. The + PW is 48.5. More companies got into the investment cast business and the pitching wedges hovered around 48 degrees. 845s, Titleist DCI, etc. In 1994, Cobra released the 'King Cobra' line. The PW was 45 degrees and they carried that 2 to 3 degree jacked loft through the set. Macho weekend golfers were suddenly hitting their new King Cobra irons a full club longer than their old set. The "art" of jacked lofts was born. Through the years, so many manufacturers have jacked lofts to compete. You seldom see a set of 3-PW anymore. Everything is 4-GW or 5-GW. Lofts are similar to the old 3-PW... or stronger.
My iBlade PW is 46. That's stronger than either my Eye 2's or Eye 2+'s. But... it's not nearly as ridiculous as these new 38 degree PW lofts!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Early 90's, Ping had just come out with their Eye 2+. Lofts were jacked a couple degrees over the Eye 2's. The + PW is 48.5. More companies got into the investment cast business and the pitching wedges hovered around 48 degrees. 845s, Titleist DCI, etc. In 1994, Cobra released the 'King Cobra' line. The PW was 45 degrees and they carried that 2 to 3 degree jacked loft through the set. Macho weekend golfers were suddenly hitting their new King Cobra irons a full club longer than their old set. The "art" of jacked lofts was born. Through the years, so many manufacturers have jacked lofts to compete. You seldom see a set of 3-PW anymore. Everything is 4-GW or 5-GW. Lofts are similar to the old 3-PW... or stronger.
My iBlade PW is 46. That's stronger than either my Eye 2's or Eye 2+'s. But... it's not nearly as ridiculous as these new 38 degree PW lofts!!!

I’ve gone to a 5-GW set but my PW is 46° which by today’s standards is relatively weak. And yeah the loft on the club thing didn’t last long with Hogan, when people have to stop and think is my 38° club the 6? It always felt weird to me.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I should also add that the Hogan’s are beautiful clubs, glad to see that name back. Not sure how long it will last, they don’t have much if any tour presence yet. They have some custom options but not nearly as many as other companies. Srixon for example, the irons I play, offers basically any shaft and grip at no upcharge. And they are beautiful clubs too.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Ben Hogan Golf tried that and it lasted about 1 year.
Good point. Then they should put both, but I still say loft should either be larger, or on the toe like in the picture above. And yeah, there should be some standards. 38 is not a pitching wedge, for example, no matter what the manufacturer says.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Good point. Then they should put both, but I still say loft should either be larger, or on the toe like in the picture above. And yeah, there should be some standards. 38 is not a pitching wedge, for example, no matter what the manufacturer says.
Get off my lawn! ;)

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Typically the material for a beer can is .004 thick. A little thicker towards the top and bottom.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I should also add that the Hogan’s are beautiful clubs, glad to see that name back. Not sure how long it will last, they don’t have much if any tour presence yet. They have some custom options but not nearly as many as other companies. Srixon for example, the irons I play, offers basically any shaft and grip at no upcharge. And they are beautiful clubs too.
You'd better update your signature. :)

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I went to Dick's today to try 'em out. They had one set but it had graphite shafts. I asked to demo one and he didn't even have a demo club, soooo...

I pulled the trigger on a set of Titleist 718 AP3s from Second Swing. 9.0 condition, 4-PW plus a GW for $770. Should be here next Tuesday.

Now I need a new bag...

EDIT: just bought a new Titleist cart bag for $150 from TGW.

EDIT EDIT: I've never bought a new bag and these clubs are the closest I've ever had to buying new.

Last edited:

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I went to Dick's today to try 'em out. They had one set but it had graphite shafts. I asked to demo one and he didn't even have a demo club, soooo...

I pulled the trigger on a set of Titleist 718 AP3s from Second Swing. 9.0 condition, 4-PW plus a GW for $770. Should be here next Tuesday.

Now I need a new bag...

EDIT: just bought a new Titleist cart bag for $150 from TGW.

EDIT EDIT: I've never bought a new bag and these clubs are the closest I've ever had to buying new.
Nice! Now you need the top part of the bag from Titleist and a new Scotty Cameron.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My Sun Mountain Four5 stand bag was(besides consumables) the only thing for golf I've ever bought brand new.

EDIT: Not true, I bought that one driver from Rory way back in the day. But I think that's it for new equipment.

Driver: GEEK DCT I bought from a member here
3w: Big Bertha that I do NOT get along with very well also bought used here
Hybrid: TEE I bought used I think here, but not 100% sure
Irons: MacGregors I bought used here
Putter: Taylormade something or other bought used at a now defunct golf store in Madison

Last edited:
OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Have any of you bought anything through 2nd Swing? I ordered those clubs on Saturday and paid extra for 2 business day shipping (so I would assume delivery on Tuesday). As of Monday afternoon I haven't received any shipping notice or even a shipping confirmation. In my profile my order says "not shipped" and the actual clubs I bought are still listed on the site for sale (same SKU number) so I am getting nervous about this sale.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Have any of you bought anything through 2nd Swing? I ordered those clubs on Saturday and paid extra for 2 business day shipping (so I would assume delivery on Tuesday). As of Monday afternoon I haven't received any shipping notice or even a shipping confirmation. In my profile my order says "not shipped" and the actual clubs I bought are still listed on the site for sale (same SKU number) so I am getting nervous about this sale.
I just bought a Scotty Cameron Red X2 from them, no rush shipping, and did not have any issues. It did take a day and a half to get an email from them confirming the purchase, but it is now in FedEx’ hands and should be here tomorrow. They were a bit slow on initial contact and I ordered on a Thursday. Being a Covid Weekend purchase, you may not see anything for a day or two.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I’ve bought a few things from them, their shipping is pretty fast. I usually have it within 2-3 days and I’m in VT. I’m sure you’ll see it tomorrow.

🔥 Latest posts