• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to the Forum.... Shaft Placement?

Rideguy

Jun 1, 2008
Greetings

I"m new to the forum and I'm a new golfer I.M.O. I'm down to a 16 F.Y.I.

I've been back to basic's alot and I'm sick of hearing "Nice Swing" if I can't do much with it.....

I"ve been slicing my driver again and I think I figured it out some.... I know I'm coming through open....

Even though we play the ball off the front foot.... Should the end of the shaft be pointed at my belly button? I think mine's been more at my left hip bone leaving me open???

I've redone my grip and if anything I know it's a weak grip and V's are good and I can see my two knuckles....

Anyway's just wondering if the end of the shaft should always be pointed at your belly button?

T.I.A.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
welcome to ST.

as far as the other stuff i just buy new equipment that works for a while.:biglol:

somebody that can actually help will be along soon.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Timely subject. I have been struggling with set up also.

For me I play the driver 1 ball ahead of the position I use for my mid irons with the shaft at my naval. Right or wrong for you I can only guess.

Be sure you are square with feet, shoulders, hips, head, and eyes. Keep the swing plane square with target line and all should be fine. Easy to say---not so easy to do. I have been working at keeping the shaft square with my target line also.

Welcome to shot talk.

Before you attempt all this on the range with a driver try it with perhaps a wedge then 8 iron and then hybrid or fairway wood. It's much easy to get a "feel" for the change with these shorter clubs.

let us know what the resolution to the slice issue is

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
The easiest way I have found to find the proper ball position and shaft position is to get the shaft and clubhead near the position you want at impact. For a driver since you will be sweeping it on the upswing you want the ball off your left shoulder or the instep of your left foot. This will allow a perfect release to create a straight line from your shoulder, down the shaft to the clubhead, just on top of the ball. This will give you the best chance to start the ball on the proper line and with the clubhead square.

OP
R

Rideguy

Jun 1, 2008
Thankyou for the Reply's

I did finnaly get the club face through more square with some success... but Chose to take the plunge and complete my iron's with a Driver, 3 wood, and 18 degree all with the Same Shafts!!!

I figure I can learn them better with the same shafts..... LOL Dreaming anyway.... All but the Driver were sweet right out of the plastic today..... The driver was a nasty Hooker.... Took me the better part of the afternoon at the range trying to slice the ball..... I have the weakest grip possible now.... and end of shaft back to where I was having an issue slicing with the regular club......

Grip and hand position either under the chin or to the left or right seems to really have an affect on slice or hook for me.....

Again thanks for all the informaion!!!

OP
R

Rideguy

Jun 1, 2008
welcome to ST.

as far as the other stuff i just buy new equipment that works for a while.:biglol:

somebody that can actually help will be along soon.

Damn.... I took your advice and bought a new Driver.... Thanx... I'll send you the 500 plus bill .....?????

:biglol:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.