• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Top-Flite ball. D2 feel with bite!!!!!!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Rumor mills says Top-Flite is coming out with a new D2 version called GYGO08 " The Gamer "

-First 3-piece golf ball in the market under $20.

-Performance of a $30-$40 3-piece ball for the Top-Flite guy that doesn’t want to spend that much!

-Longer than D2 FEEL

-Softer, thinner cover than D2 FEEL

-Will check up on those dry greens vs. D2 FEEL which tends to release.

Sounds like my new ball! Sounds like a Pro-V1x for 20 bucks. I find the D2 feel longer than the Pro-V1 already. Supposed to be the flagship Top-flite ball for the better player. Can't wait!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Callaway is releasing two 4 peice balls in January. Look for this new D2 to be an older version of the HX. Sweet pricing too.

R35

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
almost sounds too good to be true.

i'll definitely have to keep an eye out for these at work.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not a fan of the dimple/dimple look, but I like the D2 feel so much I'll be forced to try these

what do you think the Freaks are all about?

found this picture in my travels....I need to start getting work done
gamer.JPG

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The re-birth of the Strata?

MRjlm66

Nov 13, 2007
just played the gygo08 today

Callaway sales rep. gave me 2 gygo08 balls at the turn to play on the back 9
and he told me to report back to the club house with a report.
1. Looks just like the D2's Dimple in perfect dimples
2. lost yardage on my :smilie_ti 905r drives avg 268-280
3. played better with fairway woods... Ping G5
4. had some fun with my :smilie_ti spinmilled 56d wedge

5. lost both balls on second shots :mad: :smilie_pi G2 3 and 4 iron...... i don't know?

The rep. told me. will be same price as the d2's or lower

and another thing I like is the writing was only on one side GYGO08 very nice. so when you T it up all you see is a white ball.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Clug. Have you (or anyone else) played both the Feel and the Distance? I'd like to know whether you agree with the review of both that I did recently. It's in the Equipment Review section.

I like both balls, but it sounds like The Gamer will be the best of both, and then some. Not sure what to make of MRjlm66 saying he lost distance on his drives. Maybe the Gamer is a bit lower compression, and his swingspeed is too high on the driver for it?

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I'm not a fan of the dimple/dimple look, but I like the D2 feel so much I'll be forced to try these

what do you think the Freaks are all about?

found this picture in my travels....I need to start getting work done
I'd imagine the Freaks are the revamped version of the current distance (red box is a bit of a giveaway). I actually prefer the reds in the current D2's. I get better flight and distance (I think the 'feel' is a little too low compression for me, the red just feels more solid but still soft), and find the ball checks about the same as the feel. The red is also one of the best feeling balls off the putter I've ever used.

I wil probably try both when they finally get to Australia, but hopefully in the meantime the price of the current reds will drop and I can stock up. If this new 'gamer' is everything it's cracked up to be I will use it for tournamnents but I find the reds more than adequate for regular games.

If the freaks are an improvement on the current reds they will be well worth trying too.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'd imagine the Freaks are the revamped version of the current distance (red box is a bit of a giveaway). I prefer the reds in the current D2's. I get better flight and distance (I think the 'feel' is a little too low compression for me, the red just feels more solid but still soft), and find the ball checks about the same as the feel. The red is also one of the best feeling balls off the putter I've ever used.

I wil probably try both when they finally get to Australia, but hopefully in the meantime the price of the current reds will drop and I can stock up. If this new 'gamer' is everything it's cracked up to be I will use it for tournamnents but I find the reds more than adequate for regular games.

That's interesting that you found the Red to spin as much as the Green. You probably spin the ball much more than I do. For me, the Red clearly spun less on approach shots. Other than that, I like it a lot. Which is why I'm very interested in the Gamer.

BTW - I totally agree about the Red off the putter. It's superb.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Clug. Have you (or anyone else) played both the Feel and the Distance? I'd like to know whether you agree with the review of both that I did recently. It's in the Equipment Review section.

I've only tried the feel version. I am a low spin player, so I really can't get away with a distance version of a ball. This is my main complaint with the D2's. My normal approach takes one hop and stops. The D2 rolls out for me a little too much. The price and the distance are awesome, though.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I've only tried the feel version. I am a low spin player, so I really can't get away with a distance version of a ball. This is my main complaint with the D2's. My normal approach takes one hop and stops. The D2 rolls out for me a little too much. The price and the distance are awesome, though.

I'm the same. The Feel goes about twice as far after it hits the green as my Black Max did. The Distance goes twice as far as the Feel.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
That's interesting that you found the Red to spin as much as the Green. You probably spin the ball much more than I do. For me, the Red clearly spun less on approach shots. Other than that, I like it a lot. Which is why I'm very interested in the Gamer.

BTW - I totally agree about the Red off the putter. It's superb.

The Green may have spun a little more on approach shots, but my home course never has hard, fast greens so you can stop virtually any ball on full approach shots. I found the performance off the driver from the Red outweighed any advantage the Green had on approach shots, at least on my home course. I would still take the Green ahead of any other non premium ball out there, but the Red just shades it in overall performance IMO.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The Green may have spun a little more on approach shots, but my home course never has hard, fast greens so you can stop virtually any ball on full approach shots. I found the performance off the driver from the Red outweighed any advantage the Green had on approach shots, at least on my home course. I would still take the Green ahead of any other non premium ball out there, but the Red just shades it in overall performance IMO.

I think I must agree.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
now I'm going to have to try the red.... the D2 feel has really been good to me -especially now that it's cold here - the softer balls still feel like golf balls instead of frozen little rocks

If I hit the green (being honest :) the ball is usually 2-3 feet from the pitch mark - sometimes in front, but usually behind the ball mark. I don't think I'm a high spin player (sweep the ball instead of hitting down) but I do hit the ball very high so my approach shots have a steep angle of decent

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.