• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Wedge Needed...anyone got experience with them?

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I'm looking into getting a new sand wedge probably tomorrow. My current one, a 56*10, is 10 degrees too much of bounce. I can't hit it well because it...well, bounces off the ground and I catch it super thin. I'm good out of the sand (I've been using my 60 for the past two weeks because at least it doesn't bounce off the sand and cause me to top the ball) with little to no bounce.

I'm looking for a wedge in the 54-56 degree range, with 5 degrees or less of bounce. Any suggestions, and experiences people have had with them?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You really have that severe a problem with 10* of bounce? My old 60 had 10 bounce, and I never had an issue. My new 56 has 14*, and it's still pretty easy. it's gonna be really hard to find a wedge in that range with such low bounce, I think. Cleveland's 588 wedges come with the 60* at a 3 bounce, but their 54 is 8 I believe, and the 56 is the one I mentioned earlier with the 14.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I just sent out a CG12 56* sand wedge with 4* of bounce.

You can get them from Global golf but since they don't actually STOCK them...you may wait until the season is over before you actually get one (zing!).

I have a CG12 with 14* of bounce and I fecking love it! I tend to hit it way too far as I find myself hitting it pure much more often than I ever did with any other wedge....I have to work on that distance thing.

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007
Either I'm the odd-ball, or it's my course. Or both. Most of the traps at my course are basically hardpan with sand caked into a hole in the ground. Some of them are fluffier, but I can get the ball out of there with no problem. Also, I need something I can reliably use out of a tight lie from 80-120 yards. Sand wedge doesn't cut it because I hit worm burners and such with it, and I'm tired of manufacturing a 3/4 wedge shot which is either 20 yards long or 20 yards short of the green.

Long story short: I don't need a sand wedge. But I do need a gap wedge with a higher loft (because when I hit a 56 properly, it goes the right distance...)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Scroll up and hit the pro shop link.
Have a look around, those CG12's come in gap, sand and lob....many different bounce angles to be had.

There are also plenty of good quality used stuff there, just have to poke around a bit.

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
well if you want something in the 54-55 range you could always buy a sandwedge that was 56* and have it bent a degree or two strong which would eliminate some of the bounce or have someone out a relief grind on it....just my 2 cents

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Wasn't aware the CG12's came so low. I thought Cleveland's dot-bounce system over-bounced most of their stuff. Who knew :p

Well, other than Sling, I mean..

TaylorMade89

Jul 6, 2006
The f2!!!

Ok so i've never seen one but the informercial on the Golf Channel is convincing.

gatewrxing

Jul 9, 2007
Maybe not what your looking for but I love my 56 and 60 Nike SV. They're not crazy expensive and at least for me they perfom like champions, despite my high handicap, I consider my self to have a decent short game and the 56 and 60 both excel. I love the 60 especially---often using it where most people would use a 56.

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007
Tried out a handful of wedges and settled on a Titleist Vokey 58*08 (bent to 56*06), spin milled, but without that oil can finish. (I can't stand the idea of a rusted club in my bag.) I got a slight break, because I'm up at Golf Galaxy so often - the guy fixing the club didn't charge to have it bent, for the extension, and they also gave me an extra $10 off. So, basically, I paid 105 where it would have been 130+.

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
figured you go with something bent strong (see my previous post) hope everything works out with the new wedge!

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007
figured you go with something bent strong (see my previous post) hope everything works out with the new wedge!

Had to. All the 56 degree wedges had 10,13, and even 15 degrees of bounce. A 56 fills my gap nicely, but not if I keep hitting it super thin. The only 58 with low bounce was the Vokey - at 8 degrees. I just hope 6 is low enough (Gawd, I know I am the odd-ball here, not wanting bounce...).

But, yeah, I'll have to report what happens.

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
not the odd ball i dislike any wedge with more bounce than about 8 my old clevelan lob wedge i probably grinded down to near zero bounce....on wet days it was more of an excavating tool though haha

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I grind my wedges, so I take some of the bounce off of it. The only thing with bending clubs stronger is that it creates a bit of an offset, two degrees is about the most you can go without it becoming too visible.

🔥 Latest posts