• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New year, new season, old bag

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Our first tourney of the year is this Saturday. I haven't played since last October, but I did hit a bucket of balls the last 2 Sundays, so my game is about as good as it's going to get.

The only golf lessons I ever took were 3 from the old pro who ran the local driving range. He had been a Hogan player and rep back in the day and had met The Man himself many times. He retired a few years ago and sold the range. Last year, I saw his old Hogan staff bag in the shop, for sale for $75, so I bought it. It has his name on it: Alex McNeil.

Alex died a couple of weeks ago, from cancer. Here is his obit:
Alex McNeil's Obituary on The Sun News

RIP Alex.
In your honor, this weekend I will play using your Hogan staff bag, a 1-3-5-7 set of Hogan laminated woods, 3-S Hogan Radial irons, a Hogan Bettinardi putter, and Hogan Tour Deep balls.

You would laugh, I'm sure. :)

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Sounds like an Awesome guy. A part of him will live on via your memories and using his bag.

I read his obit and he spent a lot of time in my neck of the woods.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I remember one time when I was out at the range hitting balls and Alex walked by and said "Nice power fade, Hogan would be proud of you."

I replied "Yep, except I was trying to hit a draw."

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Our first tourney of the year is this Saturday. I haven't played since last October, but I did hit a bucket of balls the last 2 Sundays, so my game is about as good as it's going to get.

The only golf lessons I ever took were 3 from the old pro who ran the local driving range. He had been a Hogan player and rep back in the day and had met The Man himself many times. He retired a few years ago and sold the range. Last year, I saw his old Hogan staff bag in the shop, for sale for $75, so I bought it. It has his name on it: Alex McNeil.

Alex died a couple of weeks ago, from cancer. Here is his obit:
Alex McNeil's Obituary on The Sun News

RIP Alex.
In your honor, this weekend I will play using your Hogan staff bag, a 1-3-5-7 set of Hogan laminated woods, 3-S Hogan Radial irons, a Hogan Bettinardi putter, and Hogan Tour Deep balls.

You would laugh, I'm sure. :)

Old School is Cool. Rock those clubs with pride!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.