• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New York Times: Captains 'Whiffed' at Presidents Cup

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
IN AN ODD WEEK THAT INCLUDED a squirrel named Sammy, buckets of rain and a speedy female streaker, the United States won its fifth straight Presidents Cup, fending off the Internationals by the score of 18.5 to 15.5. World No. 1 Tiger Woods secured the deciding point by beating Richard Sterne 1-up.

The International team narrowed a wide gap on Sunday by winning 7.5 of 12 possible points in the singles matches. According to the New York Times' Karen Crouse, there was potential for greater interest and drama on the final day, if only captains Fred Couples and Nick Price would have cooperated.

Crouse reported:
Golf was the big loser at the 10th Presidents Cup, but not because the United States — by the score of 18 ½-15 ½ — defeated an International team, composed of the top non-European players, for the fifth consecutive time and the eighth time in the event’s history. The time is coming when the rising talent in Asia will leave the Americans, who led at one point by 17-10, longing for the days when success in the event was as much of a gimme as Woods’s second putt on 18.

With the authority to wring some excitement out of a four-day deluge interrupted by what amounted to a lavishly produced exhibition, the captains Fred Couples and Nick Price whiffed.

The format called for them to pick their matchups the way people do their fantasy teams, in an open draft. The circumstances were tailor-made to manufacture enough buzz to help cut through the nasty weather and a day crammed with N.F.L. games and baseball playoff action. Woods versus Scott could have been thrilling, like watching Usain Bolt race Tyson Gay on the track. Also there for the public’s entertainment loomed Jordan Spieth versus Hideki Matsuyama in a showdown of rookies whose average age is under 21, and Ernie Els versus Phil Mickelson in a pairing of the last two British Open champions.
The possibilities were thrilling.​
But those possibilities didn't come to pass. It rained hard on Sunday. The most exciting thing that happened on the 18th hole might have been the streaker who sprinted down the fairway.

"I did my pairings this morning to try and win the Cup, not to put 1 or 2 together," Price said after it was all over.

While we're focusing on the negative, the tape-delayed broadcast by NBC was disappointing. Another reminder that the Presidents Cup isn't the Ryder Cup.

Source: New York Times: Captains 'Whiffed' at Presidents Cup

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Yup...and as soon as I get home...i'm looking it up

I hear it's not a 'true' streaker. She had a G-string on and pasties over her nipples.

I've seen less worn walking down University Ave here in Madison...damn I love college towns...
LOL...Golf has a dress code for streakers.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online