• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie Grip Question/pain

progrmr

May 23, 2005
I've just recently tried to start playing golf seriously and am having some serious trouble with my grip.

I'm a lefty - and I've been using the interlocking grip, right hand on the top of the club with the pinky of the left hand and the forefinger on the right interlocked.

After hitting the driving range a couple of times a week for the last month or so (no training/instruction at this point) I felt that I could give a course a try.

Enter public course nightmare - even though the holes where straight, they were far too long for me. I was unable to hit my irons at all and had really not practiced with them - the result was several embarrasing grounders and slowdown of the pace for golfers behind me. My tees shots were equally embarrasing - nothing like hitting at the driving range. While this was an emotionally embarrasing round of golf it also provided me with valuable experience so it wasn't a total loss.

After I got home I started to have major pain in the middle and pinky fingers on my left hand. The pain quickly moved to swelling and my icing them to keep the swelling down. I'm thinking that perhaps I was gripping the club too tight and that's why I had the problem with my pinky. Also most of my swings were poor/hitting the turf without hitting the ball and I'm sure that added to the pressure.

Is there any real benefit to using the interlocking grip over the baseball/overlap grip? My uncle showed me the interlocking grip years ago so it feels natural to me but it doesn't feel very good right now! Is this kind of pain normal when using this grip and starting out in golf?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Welcome to the world's greatest game...

First, from a hand stress standpoint - neither grip is better than the other. As a generality, the interlocking grip is used for players with small/medium hands and overlapping for larger hands. Jack Nicklaus was a notable exception to this in that he had large hands but used the interlocking grip.

Using one or the other is like picking your favorite color or car. Really makes no meaningful difference.

To your pain issue:

1) Part of the issue is the fact that the muscles in your hands are unused to being used this way. Once you repeat your activity of playing golf - your hands will get used to it and the pain/swelling should go away.

2) Grip. Although I am not there to observe - I will bet you a beer that you are indeed holding the club too tightly. This is a very common fault in beginners and in experienced golfers as well. I know it is hard to believe, but you should be barely holding on to the club. Just hard enough to keep it from torqueing in your hands as you strike the ball.

If you are willing to invest $13 - I recommend that you go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble and buy the Five Lessons book by Ben Hogan. This is the "golf bible" of how to hold a golf club and devotes 19 pages to the grip alone. If anything - if you can learn to Grip the club properly and Set up to the ball properly - it will go a long way in helping you play the game well.

good luck.

OP
P

progrmr

May 23, 2005
Thanks for the tips - I will check out the book you mention and I'm probably holding the club too tight.

Just sucks that now I have to wait a couple of days for the pain and swelling to go down before I can get back to practicing!:mad:

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I've used all three grips and I don't use a glove.
As Bravo says, it's all a matter of personal perference and what seems to be the most comfy for you.
For me, I ended up with a 10 finger grip because I had too many blisters with the interlocking, even though I've used it for a whole season.
If I can give you any tip, hold the club as if you were holding a live bird: not too tight to choke it, but no too light as it can fly away.
I think Jim Furyk uses a double overlapping grip.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
progrmr said:
Thanks for the tips - I will check out the book you mention and I'm probably holding the club too tight.

Just sucks that now I have to wait a couple of days for the pain and swelling to go down before I can get back to practicing!:mad:

Just a couple of rules of thumb for you...

If you start to develop blisters - anywhere on your hands - you are holding it too tight. I play every week and often hit 200 balls in the middle of rounds and there is no trace of any blisters or callauses on either hand.

Remember - Hold the Club in your Fingers - Not your Palm...you will learn this from Ben Hogan's book...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and come along here to make contributions on other subjects.

OP
P

progrmr

May 23, 2005
I just picked up the Ben Hogan book - After reviewing the first 20 pages, I can report that my grip is DRASTICALLY incorrect.

This is a really good looking book so far with well illustrated drawings showing the proper grip or swing or whatever is currently being discussed in the book.

Thanks for the heads up on this - If anyone hasn't read it and stumbles across this thread I give the book 2 newbie thumbs up!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
progrmr said:
I just picked up the Ben Hogan book - After reviewing the first 20 pages, I can report that my grip is DRASTICALLY incorrect.

This is a really good looking book so far with well illustrated drawings showing the proper grip or swing or whatever is currently being discussed in the book.

Thanks for the heads up on this - If anyone hasn't read it and stumbles across this thread I give the book 2 newbie thumbs up!

Both HOgan and Harvey Penick said repeatedly that the vast majority of golfers have the wrong grip and wrong set up and as a result CANNOT hit good shots on any consistent basis. With a bad grip and set up - a good shot is a pure accident.

I am glad you got the book. I love it and return to it and my hogan tape periodically.

MBeachGirl

Shooting Star
May 31, 2005
Grip assessments

progrmr said:

MB Replies/GRIP: One of the best tips I ever heard was to hold the grip in your left hand with the same pressure as you would if you were shaking the hand of a man with your right.Except you're gripping with only thre fingers,middle index to pinky.The right hand, assuming that you use an interlock, is grippinng with the forefinger to the finger next to the pinky.And that is a lighter grip. As if your right hand is just hangin' on. No reason to use a death grip on anything. Then swing with tempo and gusto. MBG

MBeachGirl

Shooting Star
May 31, 2005
Worm Burners/Gripping

progrmr said:
I've just recently tried to start playing golf seriously and am having some serious trouble with my grip.

I'm a lefty - and I've been using the interlocking grip, right hand on the top of the club with the pinky of the left hand and the forefinger on the right interlocked.

After hitting the driving range a couple of times a week for the last month or so (no training/instruction at this point) I felt that I could give a course a try.

Enter public course nightmare - even though the holes where straight, they were far too long for me. I was unable to hit my irons at all and had really not practiced with them - the result was several embarrasing grounders and slowdown of the pace for golfers behind me. My tees shots were equally embarrasing - nothing like hitting at the driving range. While this was an emotionally embarrasing round of golf it also provided me with valuable experience so it wasn't a total loss.

After I got home I started to have major pain in the middle and pinky fingers on my left hand. The pain quickly moved to swelling and my icing them to keep the swelling down. I'm thinking that perhaps I was gripping the club too tight and that's why I had the problem with my pinky. Also most of my swings were poor/hitting the turf without hitting the ball and I'm sure that added to the pressure.

Is there any real benefit to using the interlocking grip over the baseball/overlap grip? My uncle showed me the interlocking grip years ago so it feels natural to me but it doesn't feel very good right now! Is this kind of pain normal when using this grip and starting out in golf?

Been there and done that! I think most players have. I was having pains years after I first started playing due to mis gripping of my clubs.Right now, I think you should take no less than 5 lessons. Do that and your pain should diminish due to better grip and you won't get embarrassed going off the tee by the club house either.It's a matter of learning the basics of which there about 10 things to know before you hit the ball. I know...confusing but eventually you'll put it all together.Play with the best players you can. DO NOT play with other bad golfers. It will completely mess you up.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
MBeachGirl said:
DO NOT play with other bad golfers. It will completely mess you up.

I disagree. Some of the best times i've had in my life where on the links with a group of hacks that love the game, but are terrible golfers.

There is nothing that anyone else has that can screw YOUR game up. The game of golf is so mental, and if you're lacking in that department, you are easily swayed and influenced. That's a weakness, and shows you can easily get off your game.

There's nothing more than hearing "I'm not playing golf with you because you're too good." What does that mean? Just because I carry a 4 handicap doesn't mean I will have a terrible time playing golf with those that shoot triple digits.

Just my opinion tho...

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
It doesn't matter to me one way or the other - I can play with crappy players or great players and it won't affect me either.

I have a friend here who is a 2 index and plays in a group of players who are all in this range. They invited me to play with them at the RTJ complex about a year ago. This was when my index was about 8 or so.

As the TV ads say, "These guys are good". Lacing them all down the middle...and I am playing decently making par/bogey on most of the holes as I normally do. I had one birdie and one double. Kind of normal bravogolfround...

We get to the ninth tee and somebody asks, "What is the highest number of birdies you have ever had on a side?"

Two of them say four and the other says five. Shit...on one side of golf.

The max number of birdies I have had one Round is five and I have had four twice.

I'll have to say that I was a bit intimidated at that point...I was out of my league but I came in with an 82-83...kind of pedestrian when they are shooting 72-75...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
Two of them say four and the other says five. Shit...on one side of golf.

The max number of birdies I have had one Round is five and I have had four twice.

I'll have to say that I was a bit intimidated at that point...I was out of my league but I came in with an 82-83...kind of pedestrian when they are shooting 72-75...

The fact that you have had 5 in one round speaks volumes.

Here's a question for you. Have you birdied every hole on your home course? I mean #1 thru #18, have you at least once been one under on every hole? I have. So I know I can birdie every single hole out there if I play my cards right.

It never happens, but it could...

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yes Rock I have but that is not terribly impressive since I have been playing it so long. You have only been playing seriously for a few years and I have been at it forever at mostly the same place.

But I Do agree that on any given day - on any given hole I can birdie.

A year ago at Shoal Creek - I birdied two of the four highest rated handicap holes on the course and we were playing from the tees closest to Championship. (Parred the other two: shot -2 on the four hardest holes) And the shots didn't look magnificent or anything like that. Just a good solid drive out there, a mid-iron approach that reached reasonably and roll in the putt. And you know what I shot that day?? 83. Shoot -2 on the four hardest holes (440 yard par 4's) and then shoot 13 over on the rest of the course. ARRRGGGHHHH...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
MBeachGirl said:
DO NOT play with other bad golfers.

I'm with Rock on this - i disagree as well. As a bad golfer, i find that playing with golfers at my own level helps me as there's a chance i'll beat them - i maybe concentrate harder and pay more attention to my own faults.

Playing with single digit guys also helps - i watch what their doing, compare it to what i'm doing and try to learn from them.

Each to their own, I guess.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.