• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie needs advice

Alphadog

Dec 18, 2005
Just starting the game with my 14 year old son. Set him up with Costco clubs. I went to Roger Dunn and they recommended Pinseeker clubs (which I think they own) 4-GW and 1,3,5 titanium drivers to the tune of $1,000. I don't know enough to know if that's a good price or not. Any advice?

Thanks

Alphadog

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
Run away! A grand for no-names? Do not buy a thing from them. You could get a set of top-line brand clubs from a couple of years ago for half that, or less. I've never heard of Pinseekers, but I am willing to bet they're not much better than the Costco's that you got your boy.

Check out www.rockbottomgolf.com, they have good deals on closeout gear. Most of it's pretty good quality stuff, and you can choose how much you want to pay. For instance a full set of wilson fatshafts will run you $250 there. Add a sand wedge, putter and bag for not much and you're rolling with better sticks for a lot less dough.

www.ebay.com is good too, but for the most part you need to know what you're looking for. Look at Adams, Wilson, Tommy Armour, for decent clubs at more affordable prices.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Ditto on Rockbottom

Those Wilson Fatshafts would be a good starting set. Also call them up and they will help you out.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would third the Fat Shafts, I played them for 3 1/2 years. You can usually find a really cheap deal on Adams GT irons And Adams Woods and driver as well. You will probably be able to get the same set you mentioned for well under $1000.

Didn't respond yesterday because I really thought this was spam. Hopefully it is not.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Just to be different, I am not going to recommend the fatshafts. I'd recommend something from the RAC series from TM. You can get a brand new set of RAC OS (oversize) for 399.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed. Fatshafts aren't for kids.

Pick up a set of used Pings. They're big and have a huge sweet spot that enduces smiling after hitting the ball. I grew up using a set of used Pings and learned the in's and outs of that set. Ping Eye II's or ISI's would be a good start.

Woods will be easy. Get a forgving driver and some decently priced fairways like a set of Steelhead III's. They're cheap and perform flawlessly.

Don't worry about the set not matching, it makes no difference. What's key is that he has a decent set of clubs that he can practice with.

Oh, and let him pick out a putter. One putter that he'll use for 25 years. That's the best way, just use one putter so that you know it inside and out.

Cheers,

R35

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Agreed. Fatshafts aren't for kids.

From my reading of the initial post, the clubs are not for Junior, but for Pa. Excellent suggestions though, Ping's irons are fantastic, they are my personal favourites. Adams Redline is a cheap, forgiving driver while we're at it.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Thats what I got too

Clubs were for Dad. If I could talk the wife into letting me get them I would get the Fatshafts, she is leary until I show I can play well with the older Wilson set I have now though. Also I have a never ending list of things I would like, bigger faster sailboat, 10" SCT Telescope, new Toyota Tacoma.... well you get the idea.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online