• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie questions

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Okay so I'm still kinda new to the game. I have been playing for just under three years now an finally broke 90 the other day. My handicap is 21 and hopefully will get lower this summer.

So have two questions about golf in general:
1. How does that handicap work. Now that I paid to get mine I'm not really sure what it does for me. Does it only come into play when I'm playing in a match? Other than that is it just a measurement of how good/ bad I am?

2. Can someone explain the PGA for me. As far as majors and other events and the differences. What makes a
major a major?

Thanks guys.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Okay so I'm still kinda new to the game. I have been playing for just under three years now an finally broke 90 the other day. My handicap is 21 and hopefully will get lower this summer.

So have two questions about golf in general:
1. How does that handicap work. Now that I paid to get mine I'm not really sure what it does for me. Does it only come into play when I'm playing in a match? Other than that is it just a measurement of how good/ bad I am?

2. Can someone explain the PGA for me. As far as majors and other events and the differences. What makes a
major a major?

Thanks guys.

1. Handis allow you to have an equal playing field for matches or games you may want to play with others. A word of caution, unfortunately, many people out there lie about their handicaps in order to fleece people in games by getting more strokes. Enough so that I stopped playing money games with anyone that won't play straight up many years ago and it limits who I can play with, but I refuse to be cheated. Most times we just play to shoot our lowest scores so it's no matter, but a Nassau is always a fun game. Just make sure you know the people before/if you get into a money game.

2. Majors are the elite invitation/qualifying events played 4 times a year. It's what the sport uses in many circles to separate the good from the great in terms of a career. The Masters is the only one played on the same track, while The PGA Champ, British Open and US Open rotate on a hand full of courses.

If you are familiar with tennis and the Grand Slams, it's the equivalent.

Laser

Apr 29, 2009
Also, being new to the handicap system, be sure you are employing ESC - equitable stroke control. ( and that others who have a handicap are as well should you get into a competitive situation )

USGA: Equitable Stroke Control Procedure

It's designed to keep people from sandbagging, and also to have " implosion " holes not have an impact on your handicap

Remember, your handicap is not an average of your rounds but a measure of your best potential.

🔥 Latest posts