• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nick Faldo and The Seve Trophy.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was recenly reading an article, quite by chance on the Ryder Cup at Brookline and the "war of words" between Nick Faldo and team captain Mark James. James overlooked Faldo for a wild card slot, preferring to go for Andrew Coltart, a decision that Faldo berated (and happened to be right as Coltart only played in the singles, got stuffed by Woods and apparently dubbed one 20ft off one of the tees, but anyway...)

Faldo went on about the importance of expereince in the team, someone who has been there before etc. It led to a lot of animosity for quite some time and to the famous "ripping up and binning" of a good luck letter from Faldo to the team on the eve of the competition.

So years on and Faldo is captain of the Seve Trophy team, a good platform for experience before the next Ryder Cup. Bear in mind that this is taking place in Ireland this week, without an Irishman being on the team. So who does he pick as wildcards? Simon Dyson and Marc Warren, both not exactly household names. Who did he overlook? A certain Paul McGinley with 2 Ryder Cups under his belt, a lot of experience etc. Interesting that Faldo decided against playing an Irishman, even for political reasons. I know Harrington pulled out, but he McGinley, Clarke, and McDowell to choose from. Surely all with as much to offer as his selected wildcards.

It seems like Mr. Faldo has a very selective memory. He may reckon that the Seve Trophy is a good learning ground for these guys to get experinece, with not much significance, but actions speak louder than words. On the eve of the tournament, a certin Mr. McGinley resigned as assistant captain to Mr. Faldo for next year's Ryder Cup. I read that as a direct snub to Faldo. He cited that he would rather play in the team than be on the sidelines, but I see it as a vote of no-confidnece for Faldo.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I heard yesterday on TalkSport that Sir Paul McGinley has retired from the Ryder cup? 1st time I've ever heard of someone retireing, I thought it was strange but surly not because he was overlooked for the Seve, maybe he was overlooked as he had already stated behind the scenes to Faldo that he didn't want to be considered for the next Ryder cup team? Also did Clarke and Harrington want to be included in this team? I'm not sure it's that big of an event at the moment as it's still fairly new. I thought the idea was to give potential Ryder cup players of the future a taste of the format. Maybe they had expressed a desire not to be included so they could spend time off after a busy year? I think there is more than meets the eye to this one. (I would have picked Rory McIlroy to give him a taste of the kind of support he will get at the open).

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
MG,

You're right, it's not a big event, so a great stage to bring on new talent and blood them And I'm sure Clarke didn't want to play either. But I am pretty sure McGinley wanted to play. I also find it strange that McGinley (who the press had as a shoe-in as a wildcard) would resign from the Ryder Cup vice-captaincy the evening before the Seve Trophy would begin.

I think it was a snub to Faldo to undermine him for not being picked. He stated he wanted to play his way onto the Ryder Cup team and wanted to play rather than be on the sidelines. But I think it was more along the lines of "The bxxxxxx didn't pick me so fxxx him, if he thinks I am going to stand beside him during the Ryder Cup."

I am sure there are several ends to this stick and as usual I have grabbed the wrong end of it, but I just thought it strange timing, that's all.

I agree about McIlroy, but he's too young, new as a Pro. But I would have thought McDowell would have had a better pettigree than Warren or Dyson.

Maybe I'm wearing my Irish heart on my sleeve here too much. Just sad to see a GB&I team without an Irishman on the team and the event being played on Irish soil. No?

(Better run for cover before my good friend Sidewinder weighs into this little debate. Or maybe he is too busy fighting with Ezra right now!! )

edit:

Here's a snippet from a local newspaper

"McGinley is understood to be privately furious at being overlooked for a captain's pick for the matchplay event between Great Britain and Ireland and Continental Europe. And despite issuing a statement last night claiming he wanted to concentrate on qualifying for next year's Ryder Cup team, the timing of the Dubliner's resignation has caused maximum embarrassment to Faldo on Irish soil.

After the withdrawal of Open champion Padraig Harrington because of fatigue and injury, the six-time Major winner could have diplomatically chosen an Irishman as a wildcard to keep fans and sponsors happy.

But showing the same singlemindedness which once made him the world's best golfer, he opted for the next players in the rankings - Marc Warren and Simon Dyson - leaving seven Englishmen, two Scots and a Welshman in the 'home' team.

McGinley, 40, had even withdrawn from World Cup qualifying in Aruba this weekend because he expected to be picked.

Seve Ballesteros cheekily claimed local fans would support his European team in the Seve Trophy this week because the Englishman had snubbed the Irish for his wildcards."

Have to laugh at the last sentence....

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Maybe I'm wearing my Irish heart on my sleeve here too much. Just sad to see a GB&I team without an Irishman on the team and the event being played on Irish soil. No?

Most people would have picked McDowell but Faldo must have been in the US to long & he's just picked the next two on the list as his wildcards (same mistake the USA team like to make). I think Woosey got his wildcard picks for the last Ryder cup team spot on, vastly experianced and I hope that Faldo uses his picks for the Main event next year better than he has for the warm up. I must admit I like Dyson as a player and I wouldn't be suprised if he plays his way onto next years team.

With regards Sir McGinley I didn't hear the radio report correctly I thought he had withdrawn from the running for the team, you say he has stepped down as vice Captain to try to qualify as a player, Well that is good news, I love McGinley's spirt in the Ryder cup he's truely passionate about it and it rubs off on the other members of the team.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Hey IG .. didya watch it over the weekend ? ... there was a definete "vibe" between Monty and Faldo .. culminating in a "finger tip" handshake when Monty won his singles match.

Btw .. Playing The Heritage this Saturday ..

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hey IG .. didya watch it over the weekend ? ... there was a definete "vibe" between Monty and Faldo .. culminating in a "finger tip" handshake when Monty won his singles match.

Btw .. Playing The Heritage this Saturday ..

I heard there was about 500 people on the 18th green on day 1, very poor turn-out. For a man who has a lot of commercial interests in ireland, Faldo shot himself in the foot.

I hear that the Heritage is a stunning course...

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I'd say it's money in the bank right now that Faldo will pick 2 english players for the RC.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
I tell ya I wouldn't be too disappointed if 1 of them was Simon Dyson .. the guy looks like he has the cahoonies for big stage matchplay ..

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I tell ya I wouldn't be too disappointed if 1 of them was Simon Dyson .. the guy looks like he has the cahoonies for big stage matchplay ..
True, he has plenty of experience of winning from the Asian tour and now the European Tour and had a great USPGA Championship

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.