• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nickent 3dx hybrids

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
these things are $39 right now at Dick's. I like the look of them at address. the ones I was looking at had the UST black shafts with Winn grips. What's the verdict guys?

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I have 2 of them. I have whole bag of others in the garage. These won hands down. I love them with Aldila NV shafts.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Try to find one with a better shaft in it. They carry better stock on hand sporadically. Just look through the rack and see if you can find a steel shafted one (Nippon I believe), or a UST V2, or even an Aldila NV. The stock black shaft is not friendly to all.

Good club though.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
they only had two steel shafts and they were the dreaded uniflex. seemed whippy to me. they had one with the ust v2 in it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
these things are $39 right now at Dick's. I like the look of them at address. the ones I was looking at had the UST black shafts with Winn grips. What's the verdict guys?

Their re-sale value is poor, so if you like Nickents, you'll get a bargain.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i just got a Nickent hybrid in my box of cereal. damn it, i wanted the magic decoder ring!

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Their re-sale value is poor, so if you like Nickents, you'll get a bargain.

The resale value on all my clubs seems to be zilch. I can't afford anything I could resell. I just want some clubs I can get some good distace off the deck with. I have one hybrid and hit it way better than long irons or fw woods. It's a wilson hybrid that came with my first box set.... the way I hit that makes me want a couple of real hybrids.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Like Wi said, the key is that if you like them and hit them well, get them. Who cares what the resale value is if you are going to keep it.

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Try to find one with a better shaft in it. They carry better stock on hand sporadically. Just look through the rack and see if you can find a steel shafted one (Nippon I believe), or a UST V2, or even an Aldila NV. The stock black shaft is not friendly to all.

Good club though.

How is the stock black shaft not friendly to all? Have you hit them?

Also, what do the Nippons weigh? Any idea?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
As of right now I have the 30 degree in the stock black shaft s flex and I love it. It's not leaving my bag anytime soon.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Two bad we didn't get together sooner. I had two Nickents I would have sold you for peanuts. I replaced them with Cobra Bafflers (also very reasonably priced now) and they're are much better. And that shaft in the Nickents is really bad. I had both my Nickents reshafted. :)

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I think the SR2 is okay if you have a smooth swing and like a high flight. It doesn't seem to respond well to snatching. It plays a little stiff to flex (but not much,) so if you're borderline on flexes go for the softer one to keep it from feeling like a dead stick. If fancier stuff had been available when I got mine I would've probably done that, but they weren't yet. I like it enough to leave it alone unless something magical falls in my hands for next to nothing.

That input is coming from the 3DX DC UT (the bigger ones, more like a small fairway wood than a largish hollow iron.) It may act completely different in the ironwood variant. I have a 15° for steep days when I can't hit my 3W for crap, and a 17° that is always in the bag. Although again, these are the Utilities I'm talking about - I don't even consider them hybrids in the conventionally-accepted sense, because they're practically fairway woods with an inch short shaft. They even come in numbers corresponding to fairway woods instead of irons (mine are numbered 3 and 4 at 15° and 17°.) So I guess my input here is useless since you're probably looking at the IWs. Figured I'd weigh in anyway just in case.

Members online

No members online now.