• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nickent...gone,done,toast

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
so it's official. our man Hoeffy is looking for another job as it was announced the Nickent was no longer viable. not big news by any means, as it was all over long ago. i did have a thread on this a few months ago, here: http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/25543-so-nickent-toast.html

but was closed. :D

anyways, i thought i was odd the the rep that covered our region was never replaced many months ago. also, i've never seen any Nickent products in our golf shops that were'nt covered in dust, way off to the back of the store. always on sale too.

it was as if they made a decision to let the clubs market themselves....oops.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Yeah hardly ever see any Nickent clubs in bags. A guy I know has a cool looking Nickent staff bag... but no clubs lol

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I still play the orginal 3DX 23* and it is solidly entrenched in my bag.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
It's official?

Source?

Not that I doubt it much but I'd like some verification.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I don't personally know anyone playing Nickents, the few who had some of the hybrids all eventually dumped them.

I too am not surprised by them closing as nobody in my area sold the clubs.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'll be on the lookout for spare hybrids, and possibly a 3W, then. The 4DX hybrids are, again, the best hybrids I've hit. But when people have so much Taylormade and Callaway shoved in their noses, they never even look elsewhere for the most part.

And you're right- I never actually saw a 4DX anything in a golf shop. Just 3DX 1-2 years after the fact.

Smallville

Jul 29, 2008
It's official?

Source?

Not that I doubt it much but I'd like some verification.

The source is HERE. Some people here may not like the site but news doesn't get posted there without it being verified.

I am surprised that people find it amusing when any company has goes under in this economy. Especially a golf company that was trying to go up against the industry giants. Less competition, which only hurts the consumer.

My opinion is they made some good clubs, even though some feel differently. I play some of their equipment and think they made a quality product. They could be back someday, remember that SeeMore putters disappeared for a while.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I am surprised that people find it amusing when any company has goes under in this economy.

I don't see anyone here expressing 'amusement'.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw any Nickent stuff in a retail situation where I live. That limited exposure I am sure, is part of their problem.

I'm thinking that if a company wants to compete with the establishment then they need a boat load of money just for marketing.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
The source is HERE. Some people here may not like the site but news doesn't get posted there without it being verified.

I am surprised that people find it amusing when any company has goes under in this economy. Especially a golf company that was trying to go up against the industry giants. Less competition, which only hurts the consumer.

My opinion is they made some good clubs, even though some feel differently. I play some of their equipment and think they made a quality product. They could be back someday, remember that SeeMore putters disappeared for a while.

first of all, my initial info on this came from one of the guys i follow on Twitter. he's in the biz and i got a head's up, and then i used that link in your post to verify it. only i don't start my threads like "You heard it here first" or "Breaking news" like i'm some sort of journalist, as i don't have that delusion.

secondly, if there's any amusement involved here, it has nothing to do with the news of the Nickent company at all. my experience with Nickent products was not impressive, to say the least. And i got the impression, in the real world, that they were "ok" products at best. but when i see some people pimp the crap out of them, to death(literally as it turns out), what we have here is a "fanboi". ( definition of fanboi is someone who is hopelessly devoted to a certain thing or product.) . so do i get any pleasure when i see fanbois lose their over-hyped products? you bet! so what.

thirdly, Smallville, i see that all your Nickent products were a prize? you didn't actually buy them, or rather choose them? free is good, right?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm looking for a set of irons for a friend, so maybe I can find them on the cheap now.

I hate when any business goes out though.. Were they not trying to merge, or sell into a bigger back pocket of another OEM"?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I'd pick up one of their adjustable drivers if one can be found for a dirt cheap price. Only experience I have with Nickent was the 3DX square driver & it truly was a pos. 2 of my buddies also tried it for a couple rds & both hated it as well. Supposedly the newer ones were much better.

Marketing or lack thereof is what killed the company.

Phana24JG

Phana24JG
Nov 10, 2009
so it's official. our man Hoeffy is looking for another job as it was announced the Nickent was no longer viable. not big news by any means, as it was all over long ago. i did have a thread on this a few months ago, here: http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/25543-so-nickent-toast.html

but was closed. :D

anyways, i thought i was odd the the rep that covered our region was never replaced many months ago. also, i've never seen any Nickent products in our golf shops that were'nt covered in dust, way off to the back of the store. always on sale too.

it was as if they made a decision to let the clubs market themselves....oops.

I think it is a shame. Nickent made excellent equipment and was clearly oriented to appeal to all golfers. The economy doomed any chance they had, but frankly, golfer's irrational devotion to the Tour-oriented OEMs leave them at the mercy of these companies.

Smallville

Jul 29, 2008
first of all, my initial info on this came from one of the guys i follow on Twitter. he's in the biz and i got a head's up, and then i used that link in your post to verify it. only i don't start my threads like "You heard it here first" or "Breaking news" like i'm some sort of journalist, as i don't have that delusion.
I thought you thought THP was a worthless site, so it makes me wonder why you would trust it to verify anything? Slingblade asked for a source. I waited to see if you would provide a source, but you never did. You got on but wouldn't cite one, so I did. That's all. Either way, you didn't cite your source when asked to by the Admin of the site.

secondly, if there's any amusement involved here, it has nothing to do with the news of the Nickent company at all. my experience with Nickent products was not impressive, to say the least. And i got the impression, in the real world, that they were "ok" products at best. but when i see some people pimp the crap out of them, to death(literally as it turns out), what we have here is a "fanboi". ( definition of fanboi is someone who is hopelessly devoted to a certain thing or product.) . so do i get any pleasure when i see fanbois lose their over-hyped products? you bet! so what.
You've obviously been there recently, check out what Josh has in his bag. I think it's the wedges and maybe a hybrid. Not exactly a bag full of Nickents. The site reviews a ton of things from many different companies. I won't even comment on the fanboi dig, it's not worth it.

thirdly, Smallville, i see that all your Nickent products were a prize? you didn't actually buy them, or rather choose them? free is good, right?
Yeah, I won them in a charity raffle for Special Olympics and The Humane Society. This company that just went out of business donated to help some causes that I believe in. I spent a lot more on tickets for the cause than what the clubs were worth, so while I actually didn't buy them, in the end they cost more than if I had. They went into my bag because I won them. They stayed in my bag because I liked them. I could have gone back to what I had, but I didn't. You make it sound like they were just given to me. Let's get the story straight please.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Aye, I'm no fanboi. If anything I'm a Wishon fan. I've tried to love plenty of hybrids, but the 4DX just made me giggle the first time I hit every one I've ever hit (I have 3 currently, two of the same). I love how they look. I love the headcovers. I love that you don't see them everywhere. I love how they feel. The ball-flight I get with the 18.5 is PERFECT. And my dispersion with these is better than anything else I've had.

I paid for mine, as if that's relevent to liking a club. Personally I hope you guys never buy one so I can increase my stockpile of them. But it is a shame that a company making a great product (titanium-faced hybrids are not that common) goes to the wayside because OEMs stamp their name on everything they can get their hands on.

Maybe if they'd said, "LONGEST HOTTEST BESTEST HYBRID EVER MADE" they would've sold more.

Phana24JG

Phana24JG
Nov 10, 2009
Aye, I'm no fanboi. If anything I'm a Wishon fan. I've tried to love plenty of hybrids, but the 4DX just made me giggle the first time I hit every one I've ever hit (I have 3 currently, two of the same). I love how they look. I love the headcovers. I love that you don't see them everywhere. I love how they feel. The ball-flight I get with the 18.5 is PERFECT. And my dispersion with these is better than anything else I've had.

I paid for mine, as if that's relevent to liking a club. Personally I hope you guys never buy one so I can increase my stockpile of them. But it is a shame that a company making a great product (titanium-faced hybrids are not that common) goes to the wayside because OEMs stamp their name on everything they can get their hands on.

Maybe if they'd said, "LONGEST HOTTEST BESTEST HYBRID EVER MADE" they would've sold more.

Silver, while Nickent's marketing department might not have been the best in the world, I submit that we consumers shoulder most of the burden for Nickent's and other similar companies demise.

🔥 Latest posts