• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nike Sumo 2

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Forgiving, no doubt. Getting a nice high, slight draw on it. Its hard to get much more. I'm swinging about 70% with it, and whereas the Creation in X-Stiff doesn't like me swinging lighter, this guy is a no muss no fuss club.

I pulled the 3 wood and am using 2 drivers. I used each about equally, depending on length, openness, and necessity of distance. I hit 17/18 of my greens today, and 12/14 of my fairways. My putting was a little weak, but I guess when you hit more greens, your putts go up.

I really like this club, and thank all who recommended it. Forgiving without a doubt. Ugly as sin and sounds like an aluminum bat though, but who cares?

Only one question: Its sitting at about 44 3/4" right now, how might cutting it down to say...43 1/2" change the playing characteristics?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Forgiving, no doubt. Getting a nice high, slight draw on it. Its hard to get much more. I'm swinging about 70% with it, and whereas the Creation in X-Stiff doesn't like me swinging lighter, this guy is a no muss no fuss club.

I pulled the 3 wood and am using 2 drivers. I used each about equally, depending on length, openness, and necessity of distance. I hit 17/18 of my greens today, and 12/14 of my fairways. My putting was a little weak, but I guess when you hit more greens, your putts go up.

I really like this club, and thank all who recommended it. Forgiving without a doubt. Ugly as sin and sounds like an aluminum bat though, but who cares?

Only one question: Its sitting at about 44 3/4" right now, how might cutting it down to say...43 1/2" change the playing characteristics?
It'll be about 1.25" shorter.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Troll. :p I mean will it play stiffer, softer, all that?
At the risk of offending you (one can only hope...) if you cut it off the butt, there will be no change, other than the shaft will be a bit easier to control. If you cut it off the tip it will play stiffer by about one full flex.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
At the risk of offending you (one can only hope...) if you cut it off the butt, there will be no change, other than the shaft will be a bit easier to control. If you cut it off the tip it will play stiffer by about one full flex.

Hmmmm. I'm pretty happy with this at 2.2 torque, so I'm thinking I'll just take it off the butt, maybe just down to 44. The FT-i is around 46 I believe.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
You will also lose some swingweight if you just shorten the club. If I can recall Lyle's tule of thumb correctly it was about 6 swingweight points per inch.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hmmmm. I'm pretty happy with this at 2.2 torque, so I'm thinking I'll just take it off the butt, maybe just down to 44. The FT-i is around 46 I believe.
Good point Tim. Might want to break out the lead tape.

You'll also lose a little clubhead speed, due to the reduced clubhead arc radius, but you're looking for a control driver, and that is what you'll get.

Now get out there and win!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
By shortening it 1 inch you will lose 6 swingweight points and the shaft will play 6 cpm's stiffer (about 1/2 a flex).
You can add 12g of lead tape to the head to regain the 6 SW points and make the shaft play similar in flex to before you cut it down. The static weight of the club will change (it will go up) and the MOI will go up by 396g/cm2 as well.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Interesting, thanks Lyle!

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Whats the verdict on the distance with the Sumo2?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
By shortening it 1 inch you will lose 6 swingweight points and the shaft will play 6 cpm's stiffer (about 1/2 a flex).
You can add 12g of lead tape to the head to regain the 6 SW points and make the shaft play similar in flex to before you cut it down. The static weight of the club will change (it will go up) and the MOI will go up by 396g/cm2 as well.
Wait, what?

Are you saying that by butt-trimming a shaft it will play stiffer?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Wait, what?

Are you saying that by butt-trimming a shaft it will play stiffer?

Yes, any time your shorten a tube it will become stiffer. It wont stiffen as fast as if you remove from the tip section but it will become stiffer at about half the rate.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Whats the verdict on the distance with the Sumo2?

Well, I'm swinging easier with it, getting a soft controlled swing. Something that I can only teniously do with the FT-i, given the stiffness of the shaft.

Anyway, I'm averaging about 280 with it, sometimes a touch less, sometimes a touch more. This is right about where I wanted it though.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Yes, any time your shorten a tube it will become stiffer. It wont stiffen as fast as if you remove from the tip section but it will become stiffer at about half the rate.
Thanks. You've cleared up a major misconception I had. So, in a set of iron shafts, the stiffness is controled by what? Making the tubes thicker oR thinner to offset the variability caused by the differing lengths?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Well, I'm swinging easier with it, getting a soft controlled swing. Something that I can only teniously do with the FT-i, given the stiffness of the shaft.

Anyway, I'm averaging about 280 with it, sometimes a touch less, sometimes a touch more. This is right about where I wanted it though.

Any idea if you had similar shafts how it would perform to the FT-i?

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online