• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Niners Baby!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
7-1 with essentially the same team as last year! Big game today against the G men, fingers crossed and first 49er game I have been able to watch this year!

Funny how seeing your team win a few games can bring your interest level for a sport back up!

On another note, holy Aaron Rodgers. He's looking like Montana, Elway and Marino rolled into one!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I still think 95% of the NFL players could be part of a Super Bowl team... if the right coach could motivate them. Evidently, Harbaugh has a knack to get the most out of his players. The turnaround in the Niners has been remarkable. I've sure been rootin' for them... and I'm about as far removed from San Francisco as you can get!!!!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm loving it! Its been almost a decade since Niner fans have had much to root for! Its amazing how much your favorite team playing well can bring you back to fandom!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Rodgers is playing at a level no one else is right now. I'm sure his team plays a big role in his success, but there are throws he makes, every time, that you just can't deny. It is safe to say that nobody could be playing better with that team.

On pace to break every single season QB record, and it's like he isn't breaking a sweat. He just gets it. And GB defense is good enough that you can't try to simply out score them. I can't see any team but the Packers winning the Superbowl, barring a wild turn of events.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
On pace to break every single season QB record, and it's like he isn't breaking a sweat. He just gets it. And GB defense is good enough that you can't try to simply out score them. I can't see any team but the Packers winning the Superbowl, barring a wild turn of events.

Actually, the defense has been the real problem of the Packers this year. When challenged by a decent defense the game isn't that easy. The reason why they have SO many interceptions its because every team has to end up throwing long passes because they are 20-30 points behind!!! Remember the game against the bears for example? The score was 27-17 but should have been 27-24 (The return kick TD at the end of the game, master play btw, was called as a "holding" no one yet understands since there was no player even close), and the Bears didn't have a decent offense then. In a shoot-out, there is no way anybody would be able to handle the Packers with Rodgers in command, but against a rough defense where the numbers are kept low, they have a weak spot in there. If the Giants play a good game (you never know with them, they are another Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde team), they might do the trick.

Anyway, great for the Packers, and great for the Niners. This shows its not a matter of just having "stars" in your team but knowing how to work them and fix the "regular guys". Same team as last year's with a different coach perspective and we have an 8-1 team which could have been a 9-0 easily....

And by the way, what was the name of that player? Brett who?????

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
This has been a fun year to watch. When I heard Harbaugh was headed to SF, I was really happy for them. I can't stand his brother, but that's the rivalry bit, :)

Rodgers is a beast.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Sorry mate, I thought it was Brett, my mistake. Maybe I don't remember him any more! lol

Haha, it IS Brett, Cam! He was yanking your snatch.

After last week I still feel that it's going to be Green Bay from the NFC, and Steelers/Ravens/Patriots from the AFC. If OchoCinco can't provide a serious deep threat for NE, I don't think NE can hang with the GB.

I really think the Ravens have the strongest chance of beating Green Bay in the superbowl. Flacco can be SO GOOD. There's a team that can really score, on good days, while their defense leaves the opposition with chronic anal fissures.

But the Patriots rarely disappoint. They made the Chiefs look like... THE BILLS!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Haha, it IS Brett, Cam! He was yanking your snatch.

After last week I still feel that it's going to be Green Bay from the NFC, and Steelers/Ravens/Patriots from the AFC. If OchoCinco can't provide a serious deep threat for NE, I don't think NE can hang with the GB.

I really think the Ravens have the strongest chance of beating Green Bay in the superbowl. Flacco can be SO GOOD. There's a team that can really score, on good days, while their defense leaves the opposition with chronic anal fissures.

But the Patriots rarely disappoint. They made the Chiefs look like... THE BILLS!!

First, the 'Chefs' are worse than the Bills!!! ... or any other team outside the Dolts. Hope this is the last year for Haley.

The Niners/Ravens game should be a good one. I took the Niners in a pool. Think the Niners know how to win and the Ravens know how to lose. I just don't see the heart in the Ravens that we've seen in this Niners team. Should be THE game to watch tomorrow.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
First, the 'Chefs' are worse than the Bills!!! ... or any other team outside the Dolts. Hope this is the last year for Haley.

The Niners/Ravens game should be a good one. I took the Niners in a pool. Think the Niners know how to win and the Ravens know how to lose. I just don't see the heart in the Ravens that we've seen in this Niners team. Should be THE game to watch tomorrow.

I'm loving the niners, but unfortunately, the offense is lagging way behind the defense. Last game, in the first half they had like 7 chances of scoring which all ended up in FG instead of TDs with incomplete passes from Smith in the 3rd and whatever. You can't give that type of advantage in the post-season. Two good series against a team like GB or NO and you are already 14 behind. The running game is working, but Alex Smith just isn't the "star" they want him to be. In my opinion the 49s are a QB away from winning a Superbowl.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm loving the niners, but unfortunately, the offense is lagging way behind the defense. Last game, in the first half they had like 7 chances of scoring which all ended up in FG instead of TDs with incomplete passes from Smith in the 3rd and whatever. You can't give that type of advantage in the post-season. Two good series against a team like GB or NO and you are already 14 behind. The running game is working, but Alex Smith just isn't the "star" they want him to be. In my opinion the 49s are a QB away from winning a Superbowl.

I disagree, the Pack and Saints havent played a defense that is the caliber of the Niners with LB's like Patrick Willis. I also disagree about Smith. He had like 5 offensive coordinators in his first 5 yrs and Harbaugh has given him confidence. His arm won them the Giants game after Gore went out.

Also, we have seen teams win with great D, running and limited passing. It can be done. I'm a Niners fan though so not sure how much weight to put behind my opinion. I like the way the rest of their season looks though, lots of good chances for W's!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I disagree, the Pack and Saints havent played a defense that is the caliber of the Niners with LB's like Patrick Willis. I also disagree about Smith. He had like 5 offensive coordinators in his first 5 yrs and Harbaugh has given him confidence. His arm won them the Giants game after Gore went out.

Also, we have seen teams win with great D, running and limited passing. It can be done. I'm a Niners fan though so not sure how much weight to put behind my opinion. I like the way the rest of their season looks though, lots of good chances for W's!

The Packers won today against the Lions for example, and their defense is Ranked higher than the 49s in pass ypg and just under San Francisco in total defense, and the Falcons ranked 2nd in rush defense. The Saints won against the Houston Texans ranked first in Total Defense and the Falcons ranked second in rush defense, Jaguars ranked 3rd in Total Defense. Just some stats to see those teams HAVE played defenses of the highest caliber, and have won over them.

I'm not saying they are unbeatable! Actually the only team I can think capable of taking down Green Bay would be San Francisco (The Bears where my second choice, but without Cutler they don't stand a chance). My point is that any mistake from the defense can give the opposite team an advantage too big to be recovered. I mean, I can think of Green Bay, NO, Pittsburg or NE scoring 14-21 points in half a quarter to recover a deficit. I can't see San fRancisco doing such.

I am not saying you can't win with Smith, I just think the coach is trying to make him "look" spectacular while he should play just as a "game administrator". The Ravens and Bears have done it in the past, having mediocre QB but winning Superbowls. Yes, he might have had some good throws, but when you reach the Red Zone 6 times in half a game and you can't score one single TD and every 3rd and X play was an incomplete pass from him, there is something wrong either with the idea of what Smith should be doing or calling the plays. You have a great running game and should be the main focus of the offense.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.