• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Niners Baby!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ok, just read up more about the game. I didnt get to watch it because it was on the NFL Network and I dont get it.

It doesn't sound like Smith was the sole reason for the loss. He was sacked 9 times and hurried alot also. This will be a good learning experience for the Niners though, they played one of the top teams in the NFL and from what I read, sounds like they were in the game even with the offense playing as bad as it did.

They still have 5 games left, 2 against the Rams and 1 each against the Cardinals, Seahawks and Steelers. They should win at least 3 of those and secure a first round bye.

All in all I am glad my team is winning again!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Ok, just read up more about the game. I didnt get to watch it because it was on the NFL Network and I dont get it.

It doesn't sound like Smith was the sole reason for the loss. He was sacked 9 times and hurried alot also. This will be a good learning experience for the Niners though, they played one of the top teams in the NFL and from what I read, sounds like they were in the game even with the offense playing as bad as it did.

They still have 5 games left, 2 against the Rams and 1 each against the Cardinals, Seahawks and Steelers. They should win at least 3 of those and secure a first round bye.

All in all I am glad my team is winning again!

I watched the game. The Raven's defense made a huge game just as the Niners defense did. Smith had quite a poor game indeed. 140yds with 0TD and 1INT. I was referring to the fact Smith can't score on big plays, and is unable to bring his team back to the game once they are under. Raven's scored after a long long series with something like 14:30 remaining, but he just couldn't bring the team back. Again, The Niners are just one QB away from a Supebowl...

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Jim, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the Niners passing on Aaron Rodgers. Alex may be a good QB, but he is not "the answer" if you will. HOWEVER, I also believe in coaching, organization, and team growing together. It is a huge part of the reason the Pats, and Pack are what they are. That said, I believe the Niners COULD continue to grow and remain successful and Alex Smith could develop into a pretty good QB. That is if they can keep the coaching staff, team, and management together for a while. It's getting less common these days, but it could happen.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think everybody, analysts included, has been quick to write off Alex Smith. Prior to this year could you name another player on offense besides Frank Gore and Alex Smith? I think he has all the tools to be a good QB and while he may not be Rodgers, how many QB's are? I think this team, with a little confidence can go deep into the playoffs.

It has been quite an amazing turn around though and fun to watch. Its essentially the same team as last year. THey are proving that running and defense can still win games...and it helps to play in the NFC west at the moment!

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I think everybody, analysts included, has been quick to write off Alex Smith.

You may want to take a look at some stats before making that statement. The 49er's give up 14.6 points/game - best in the NFL. They are 6th in the NFL with 1461 rushing yards. T8th in rushing TD's. They are 26th in the league in passing yards. T17th in passing TD's. Just as it appears, the rushing attack and defense are winning them games. But as long and the defense hold up and Gore doesn't get hurt, they will be fine. But I don't think Alex Smith is a long term solution. But as long as they are winning games, his stats will get overlooked.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You may want to take a look at some stats before making that statement. The 49er's give up 14.6 points/game - best in the NFL. They are 6th in the NFL with 1461 rushing yards. T8th in rushing TD's. They are 26th in the league in passing yards. T17th in passing TD's. Just as it appears, the rushing attack and defense are winning them games. But as long and the defense hold up and Gore doesn't get hurt, they will be fine. But I don't think Alex Smith is a long term solution. But as long as they are winning games, his stats will get overlooked.

I know its a stats/fantasy football driven league, but honestly nobody expects hime to be Montana or Young. He showed in the Giants game that if he needs to throw for them to win, he can. I can only assume against the Ravens that their D shut down the Niners totally-9 sacks will do that.

He may not be a long term solution (i disagree) but who out there is a better fit? They will not have a high draft pick, the 49ers are not known for making big free agent pick ups lately....

The nice thing about this debate, we have a chance to see how it plays out in the playoffs!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I know its a stats/fantasy football driven league, but honestly nobody expects hime to be Montana or Young. He showed in the Giants game that if he needs to throw for them to win, he can. I can only assume against the Ravens that their D shut down the Niners totally-9 sacks will do that.

He may not be a long term solution (i disagree) but who out there is a better fit? They will not have a high draft pick, the 49ers are not known for making big free agent pick ups lately....

The nice thing about this debate, we have a chance to see how it plays out in the playoffs!

I agree with shep about Smith. He really isn't a solution. He showed against the Giants he could throw, but showed against every other team he can't and the Running game had to keep the offense. Again, I'm not saying you can't win a SB with him (Ravens are an example you can win a SB with a mediocre QB), but rather he should be used as a "game administrator". Harbaugh has tried to make him look like a "star" and the Offensive calls have been set for him to do "the big play". Again, let's take last week's game. He failed six times in half a game in the Red Zone!!! Why not try to run when the running game was working instead of throwing another incomplete pass? Again, their defense can take them far far in the playoffs, but they need the defense to stay in their top game to be able to keep the pace. Remember most of their TD have come from awesome previous defensive series which have kept the team on great field position. That's what happened with the Ravens, and I will say will happen with the Steelers as well, since even though I don't consider Big Ben an elite QB, combined with the excellent receiver team they have, will move the ball and score highly.

As you say, let's wait and see. Maybe I'm wrong and the 49s win 40-6 against Pittsburg to win the SB after beating the Packers 13-0 in the Conference Final.

Anyway, I just hope the 49s get a great QB in the draft (Rodgers was 24-26th pick, wasn't him? So being down in the draft means nothing), and we will hear from the Niners for a long time...

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I agree with shep about Smith. He really isn't a solution. He showed against the Giants he could throw, but showed against every other team he can't and the Running game had to keep the offense. Again, I'm not saying you can't win a SB with him (Ravens are an example you can win a SB with a mediocre QB), but rather he should be used as a "game administrator". Harbaugh has tried to make him look like a "star" and the Offensive calls have been set for him to do "the big play". Again, let's take last week's game. He failed six times in half a game in the Red Zone!!! Why not try to run when the running game was working instead of throwing another incomplete pass? Again, their defense can take them far far in the playoffs, but they need the defense to stay in their top game to be able to keep the pace. Remember most of their TD have come from awesome previous defensive series which have kept the team on great field position. That's what happened with the Ravens, and I will say will happen with the Steelers as well, since even though I don't consider Big Ben an elite QB, combined with the excellent receiver team they have, will move the ball and score highly.

As you say, let's wait and see. Maybe I'm wrong and the 49s win 40-6 against Pittsburg to win the SB after beating the Packers 13-0 in the Conference Final.

Anyway, I just hope the 49s get a great QB in the draft (Rodgers was 24-26th pick, wasn't him? So being down in the draft means nothing), and we will hear from the Niners for a long time...

I dont know how so many people passed on Rodgers, but that can be said of many QB's going back to Montana, Brady etc.

I will say, when your team is winning it makes football as a whole more fun to watch. And I am constantly amazed at what Harbaugh has done with essentially the same team as last year.

On a completely different note, I watched the Miami/Dallas game and this Matt Moore kid looked good. He made some plays and almost pulled out the win.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I dont know how so many people passed on Rodgers, but that can be said of many QB's going back to Montana, Brady etc.

I will say, when your team is winning it makes football as a whole more fun to watch. And I am constantly amazed at what Harbaugh has done with essentially the same team as last year.

On a completely different note, I watched the Miami/Dallas game and this Matt Moore kid looked good. He made some plays and almost pulled out the win.

Precisely! That's why the $9s have a good chance of picking a gem!

I agree with you about Football being more fun when your team is winning, specially if you can watch it in the play-offs!

The Dolphins-Dallas game was pretty good. You kind of wonder where the hell was that team at the start of the season. Defense was looking great, and as you say, they "almost" pulled it out. It is even more meritorious when you realise they are playing for nothing more than self-respect since they are out even if they win every game remaining.

Inn my opinion, the NFL is getting everytime tighter and tighter, and the difference between teams is less and less everytime (thank the draft system for that I guess). You never know who is winning the next game. Ravens beat the Niners but loss against the Seahawks two weeks before. Colts go 11-5 one season and 0-11 next one. Isn't this great? lol

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Precisely! That's why the $9s have a good chance of picking a gem!

I agree with you about Football being more fun when your team is winning, specially if you can watch it in the play-offs!

The Dolphins-Dallas game was pretty good. You kind of wonder where the hell was that team at the start of the season. Defense was looking great, and as you say, they "almost" pulled it out. It is even more meritorious when you realise they are playing for nothing more than self-respect since they are out even if they win every game remaining.

Inn my opinion, the NFL is getting everytime tighter and tighter, and the difference between teams is less and less everytime (thank the draft system for that I guess). You never know who is winning the next game. Ravens beat the Niners but loss against the Seahawks two weeks before. Colts go 11-5 one season and 0-11 next one. Isn't this great? lol

This is why I have such a hard time buying into the Ravens, they lose games they should win easily. Do you remember that Browns game they lost? It was like 12-7 score and set offense back by 2 decades, ok not really but you get the idea!

So sad also to see your Bears lose Cutler. I watched some of their games this year and it looked like they were really putting something together. Cutler was playing well and they were running the ball. Hopefully the backup can hold things together until he gets back!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States

There are any number of games... every weekend... that can go either way. That's what keeps the NFL interesting to watch. However... there are dynasties and there are doormats. The Steeler dynasty has grown old and Tobin is trying hard to keep them winning. However, they can be beat. The Pats are still huge. The Pack was a dynasty and, then, went pretty mediocre. Today, they are the force to contend with. Oakland may have a chance to return to respectable status, now that Al is gone. It would not hurt my feelings to see the Dolts remain a doormat for some time to come. The real "doormat"... the Chiefs!! What a pathetic bunch. Started out with a locker room fight between teamates early in the season. A rather bad quarterback. The only NFL coach to never play a down of football... high school, college, or pro. If they don't do something draft and coach wise, they'll be at the bottom for many years to come.

Denver... change coaches and find a young, talented QB... and they begin winning. Miami... what a turnaround. Detroit... Wow!! Niners... Priceless!!!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
It would not hurt my feelings to see the Dolts remain a doormat for some time to come. QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on the Colts being a doormat for very long, they are obviously going to end up with some high draft picks this year. Peyton will be back, he has quite a few good, productive years left in him. If the GM and coaching staff are smart, they will trade down, load up on as many mid round draft picks as they can, and draft some wide outs for Peyton to throw to, and a good back up running back, and rebuild their defense with size and strength, not speed. If they do that, they will be a force to be reckoned with again soon.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It would not hurt my feelings to see the Dolts remain a doormat for some time to come. QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on the Colts being a doormat for very long, they are obviously going to end up with some high draft picks this year. Peyton will be back, he has quite a few good, productive years left in him. If the GM and coaching staff are smart, they will trade down, load up on as many mid round draft picks as they can, and draft some wide outs for Peyton to throw to, and a good back up running back, and rebuild their defense with size and strength, not speed. If they do that, they will be a force to be reckoned with again soon.

I disagree Dub, take Luck with the first pick and let him sit behind a hall of famer for 2 or 3 years. It worked for another stud QB, trying to think who...Oh righ, Aaron Rodgers. I dont know if they will do this though, FWIW ebery talking head I hear says that they will NOT take Luck while Manning is on the roster but I have yet to understand why...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.