• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No. 3 Seeds Dufner and Schwartzel Fall at Match Play

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
a3.bp.blogspot.com__a1Zt99KO9S0_USamBH09iZI_AAAAAAAAFz4_fJ_pP5np2vI_s400_JasonDufner.jpg
Early exit for Jason Dufner. (Allison)​
IT'S EARLY, VERY EARLY, BUT A PAIR of No. 3 seeds have fallen at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship at wintry Dove Mountain near Tucson, Arizona. In the Bobby Jones bracket, Russell Henley knocked out Charl Schwartzel, 1-up. And in the Gary Player bracket, Richard Sterne sent Jason Dufner packing, also by a 1-up margin.

Sterne opened a big lead and then had trouble closing out Dufner.

"Match play is a strange game and it showed today," Sterne said at PGATour.com. "I was 4 up and then suddenly I was struggling to finish the match off. That just shows you a few birdies at the right time for somebody else can put a lot of pressure on."

Yes, two days ago I picked Dufner to win it all. I thought Jason might be under the radar a bit, and I couldn't help but think about how impressive he was at the Ryder Cup. Last year I picked the winner, Hunter Mahan, BEFORE THE MATCHES STARTED. Yes, I was lucky. Not this year, though.

From the Bobby Jones bracket, other first-round winners are Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk and Jason Day, who ran away from Zach Johnson, winning 6 and 5. Hard to believe that margin since Johnson is such a solid match player, but anything can happen.

Defending champion Mahan also won his opener in the Gary Player bracket. Tim Clark, Ian Poulter, Bo Van Pelt and Thorbjorn Olesen won their matches in the Sam Snead bracket. Justin Rose, Nicolas Colsaerts, Sergio Garcia and Matt Kuchar advanced in the Ben Hogan bracket.

Most of the 32 matches are still in progress.

Source: No. 3 Seeds Dufner and Schwartzel Fall at Match Play

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.